Build Plan Check

Helo,

I'm new to these forums and would like to thank you guys in advance for the support. As of now I’ve been 7 years with the same desktop. I have a Intel Core Duo, a ASUS P5K-E and a NVIDIA card with 512 internal memory. So I thought it was time for a upgrade. I do know a little both computers but I am quite limited. I would like to know your opinion on the following build and see if you guys could catch any incompatible parts or stupidity on my part. Its purpose would be gaming but not with very recent titles and everyday use. I live in Europe and would like to not exceed the 1000 euro price tag.

Corsair 240 Air
Asus GRYPHON Z97 Micro ATX LGA1150
Corsair SF 450
Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core
Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
Corsair H80 Liquid Cooler
Stock from case x3 120
Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB SATA3
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperClocked ACX 2GB GDDR5

Thanks

Bob

Looks good to me. If you really want to spend less, you can switch out the power supply for a Seasonic grey unit (they're reliable, but kinda ugly; their PCB designs actually serve as templates for other PSU manufacturers to copy) or a Silverstone unit.

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

Personally I'd drop the water cooler, get a cheaper air cooler, and put those savings into a better AMD GPU. But that's just me.

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

That platform is "old stock" at this point.  How much are you saving by going with that, instead of a DDR4 LGA1151 14nm setup? 

Thanks guys for your prompt reply. The only doubt I have is if everything is compatible. I do know that most of the components fit into the case. However, I don’t know if there any bottlenecks or incompatibilities. Also about the liquid cooler how long do they last?

Thanks

Bob

12 hours ago, BobthePcBuilder said:

Helo,

I'm new to these forums and would like to thank you guys in advance for the support. As of now I’ve been 7 years with the same desktop. I have a Intel Core Duo, a ASUS P5K-E and a NVIDIA card with 512 internal memory. So I thought it was time for a upgrade. I do know a little both computers but I am quite limited. I would like to know your opinion on the following build and see if you guys could catch any incompatible parts or stupidity on my part. Its purpose would be gaming but not with very recent titles and everyday use. I live in Europe and would like to not exceed the 1000 euro price tag.

Corsair 240 Air
Asus GRYPHON Z97 Micro ATX LGA1150
Corsair SF 450
Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core
Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
Corsair H80 Liquid Cooler
Stock from case x3 120
Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB SATA3
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperClocked ACX 2GB GDDR5

Thanks

Bob

You're getting a SFX PSU for an ATX case which is a bad choice. Get a regular PSU instead.

Also, the Kingston V300 is a rather poor SSD. Furthermore, the price difference between Skylake and Haswell has become so small that Skylake usually is the better choice.

Finally, I don't know your budget or location, but you'd usually be better off in a gaming rig if you trade CPU for GPU power. The GTX 960 simply doesn't have enough oomph to play most modern AAA titles on very high settings. A locked i5 and a GTX 970 or an R9 390 are more cost effective.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($72.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($62.08 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.77 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  ($329.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Corsair Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($74.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $892.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-10 05:17 EDT-0400

1 hour ago, tataklee said:

You're getting a SFX PSU for an ATX case which is a bad choice. Get a regular PSU instead.

Also, the Kingston V300 is a rather poor SSD. Furthermore, the price difference between Skylake and Haswell has become so small that Skylake usually is the better choice.

Finally, I don't know your budget or location, but you'd usually be better off in a gaming rig if you trade CPU for GPU power. The GTX 960 simply doesn't have enough oomph to play most modern AAA titles on very high settings. A locked i5 and a GTX 970 or an R9 390 are more cost effective.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($72.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($62.08 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.77 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  ($329.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Corsair Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($74.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $892.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-10 05:17 EDT-0400

Thanks for this suggestion it actually seems to me to be a much better build than my very own . The only question is if all the stuff fits well into the case I’ve seen this picture https://imgur.com/yjcJlxT   in which it shows that the card does fit but the cables don’t. It appears that a Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X OC 3GB GDDR5 (Rev 2.0) does fit in this build https://pcpartpicker.com/b/djr7YJ .If it doesn’t fit would there be any similar cards that would. I also wonder  if I need any additional cooler for the CPU.

Thanks

Bob

1 hour ago, BobthePcBuilder said:

Thanks for this suggestion it actually seems to me to be a much better build than my very own . The only question is if all the stuff fits well into the case I’ve seen this picture https://imgur.com/yjcJlxT   in which it shows that the card does fit but the cables don’t. It appears that a Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X OC 3GB GDDR5 (Rev 2.0) does fit in this build https://pcpartpicker.com/b/djr7YJ .If it doesn’t fit would there be any similar cards that would. I also wonder  if I need any additional cooler for the CPU.

Thanks

Bob

The i5-6500 doesn't run all that hot so you'd be fine with the stock cooler. Judging from this thread the MSI R9 390 would fit.

Thanks for answering. I've seen the corsair forum http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133256&page=2 in which they talk about several graphics cards would you think that a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Gaming G1 WindForce OC 4GB GDDR5 would be a appropriate choice?do you have any other suggestions? I really do not want to risk it with the MSI R9 390 because of the dimensions I don’t doubt its performance. I'm impressed with the community of this forum many thanks to all.

Thanks

Bob