Headphone burn in

Rychill

Does burning in your headphones actually make a difference and is it something you should do to all your cans or is it not really important. If so, do you just play loud music through them for a period of time or how do you go about burning them in. Thanks :D

I know some people swear by it. Personally, I haven't been able to hear the difference between a new pair of headphones and pair that has been "burned in". 

I'm not denying that there could be a difference, I just haven't heard it. 

If I were to do it, I would just play music at normal volume for 24-48 hours, although, some people recommend up to 100 hours of burn in.  

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

4 minutes ago, Rychill said:

Does burning in your headphones actually make a difference and is it something you should do to all your cans or is it not really important. If so, do you just play loud music through them for a period of time or how do you go about burning them in. Thanks :D

It's subjective by most people. I've noticed a burn in time on my XPT100s but my Sennheisers don't seem to have needed a burn in. Hifi speakers objectively need burn-in time however.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I own 4 cans and on one I've noticed a burn in after about 50hours that changed the signature quite a bit. Not sure about you fidelios though. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

I "only" own about 6-7 over or on ear headphones and I have one pair where a 80 hours burn in did a lot, but for the rest maybe a little for some.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

I've only ever been told the idea of burn in is subjective and silly, all it really is is you adjusting to the sound profile, nothing else.

I don't see how burn-in works for over-ears or in-ears, the idea seems silly.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Just now, Suika said:

I've only ever been told the idea of burn in is subjective and silly, all it really is is you adjusting to the sound profile, nothing else.

I don't see how burn-in works for over-ears or in-ears, the idea seems silly.

Not true just look at tube amps. I had my jvc something something laying around just playing music for about 4 days I tried them for 30 min before, 30 min mid and after the burn in and they where a lot more detailed. For most headphones and speakers burn is not something that will change anything, but for some very few it will.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Not true just look at tube amps. I had my jvc something something laying around just playing music for about 4 days I tried them for 30 min before, 30 min mid and after the burn in and they where a lot more detailed. For most headphones and speakers burn is not something that will change anything, but for some very few it will.

"Earphone burn-in is a bunch of hokum.

For those of you unfamiliar with the practice, it basically amounts to pumping different kinds of sound into a new pair of headphones or earphones for a given period of time. This is to be done beforeany critical listening happens. Think of it as the sonic equivalent of breaking in a new pair of shoes — the idea being that the true character of your earphones will only surface after some robust exercise. The only problem? There’s zero evidence this does anything but defer your enjoyment of music and add more confusion to an already complex topic."

Source: http://www.wired.com/2013/11/tnhyui-earphone-burn-in/

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

1 minute ago, Suika said:

"Earphone burn-in is a bunch of hokum.

For those of you unfamiliar with the practice, it basically amounts to pumping different kinds of sound into a new pair of headphones or earphones for a given period of time. This is to be done beforeany critical listening happens. Think of it as the sonic equivalent of breaking in a new pair of shoes — the idea being that the true character of your earphones will only surface after some robust exercise. The only problem? There’s zero evidence this does anything but defer your enjoyment of music and add more confusion to an already complex topic."

Source: http://www.wired.com/2013/11/tnhyui-earphone-burn-in/

Well I dont normaly go in for burn in but I tried it with a cheap pair of JVC headphones they where super bassy with little to no detail, but something happened to them and they ended up sounding different. I dont burn in because well 99.9% of the time I have not seen any difference, but that special pair from JVC had less bass and more detail after my test still a warm pair of headphones. For the most part burn in is bs.

It won't hurt, at most it will waste time.

The problem is when people claim that burning in fixes fatal flaws with a headphone, or that it magically reaches "new levels" with every additional 100 hours.

1 hour ago, SSL said:

It won't hurt, at most it will waste time.

The problem is when people claim that burning in fixes fatal flaws with a headphone, or that it magically reaches "new levels" with every additional 100 hours.

The readings inner fidelity did a while back were after burn in and before, the difference was hardly even picked up by specialized equipment, yet people make it seem as if the headphones were shooting out crap rainbows, then double rainbows after the burn-in.

Sorry but these tiny minute half decible differences here and there aren't going to make it a brand new headphone you've never heard before.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

The biggest issue with people spouting burn-in, is as Dackzy mentioned, he listened before burn-in, midway through, and then after. If you set a burn in time of 4days, listen to 30minutes on day 1, then listen again at the end of Day 2, then listen again 2 days later... How is that proving burn-in has any effect other than placebo? Your mind wants something to sound better because you are doing it, for critical listening it needs to be a direct side-by-side comparison. In Dackzy's case it needs to be 3 separate pairs of headphones burned in at various times and listening to side-by-side, not listened to days apart.

I want to believe it CAN do something, but for the most part I am not of the belief it does anything other than what is in our mind and thus causing a placebo effect.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

I don't think anyone wants to admit they've purchased a pair of headphones they don't like, especially if it contradicts popular opinion. So, it's easier to give into the placebo effect, and in turn, justify the purchase.:$

2 hours ago, SuicideAnomaly said:

I don't think anyone wants to admit they've purchased a pair of headphones they don't like, especially if it contradicts popular opinion. So, it's easier to give into the placebo effect, and in turn, justify the purchase.:$

I bought some DT 880 a while back and I did not like them, so I returned them. I dont really care if the popular opinion is that something is amazing, if I dont like it I will say it and in this case return them. If I like a product and the popular opinion is that the product is bad, I dont give a sh**.

2 hours ago, sobe said:

The biggest issue with people spouting burn-in, is as Dackzy mentioned, he listened before burn-in, midway through, and then after. If you set a burn in time of 4days, listen to 30minutes on day 1, then listen again at the end of Day 2, then listen again 2 days later... How is that proving burn-in has any effect other than placebo? Your mind wants something to sound better because you are doing it, for critical listening it needs to be a direct side-by-side comparison. In Dackzy's case it needs to be 3 separate pairs of headphones burned in at various times and listening to side-by-side, not listened to days apart.

I want to believe it CAN do something, but for the most part I am not of the belief it does anything other than what is in our mind and thus causing a placebo effect.

IDK man that was my first time really trying to burn in something, I still believe that burn in is bs, but on the other hand something happend or my brain is fucking with me. I did it with my phone so it might be that something was wrong with my phone when I first tried them. (my phone likes to turn on some dolby sound thing that just makes everything sound so muddy and bad)

36 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I bought some DT 880 a while back and I did not like them, so I returned them. I dont really care if the popular opinion is that something is amazing, if I dont like it I will say it and in this case return them. If I like a product and the popular opinion is that the product is bad, I dont give a sh**.

Keep in mind also that sometimes your brain/ears need to adjust. There are headphones you can say you absolutely hate after first trying, but then a week later love them as you've used them, your ears have "adjusted" to the sound produced.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

37 minutes ago, sobe said:

Keep in mind also that sometimes your brain/ears need to adjust. There are headphones you can say you absolutely hate after first trying, but then a week later love them as you've used them, your ears have "adjusted" to the sound produced.

I had them for 9-10 days and I did not like them. For me a pair of headphones needs to be something special and if they just are meh I will not buy them. I need to get the wow feeling or goose bumps the first couple of times I use them. I had to adjust a little to the HE 560. The DT are good headphones for the people who like the way they sound, just not that good for me.