To upgrade or by new?

LoCoSerRu

Hello!

My name is Alex and I am from Serbia. Recently I have noticed that my PC that i use for gaming cant run newer game almost at all let alone on some fancy graphics (Fallout 4 low settings drops to couple FPS, GTA V stutters on medium to high settings) so I need help deciding whether to upgrade or save up some money for new one. For now my budget is around 200 Euros and would appreciate Your opinion on this matter. 

My current spec are:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 850 @ 3.3Ghz stock cooling

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3

GPU: 2x Radeon HD6870 in crossfire with 1Gb DDR5 each stock fans

PSU: Thermaltake 600W modular PSU

RAM: 4x2Gb DDR3 @1600Mhz

Storage: WD 2Tb sATA HD

Case: Cooler Master Elite

At that budget I say upgrade, Start with the gpu in your case and then the cpu the rest is good for the time being. The am3 socket fits the FX series so aim for one of those asap. The gpu just wait for the new ones to release since prices will drop and buy what you can afford. Then sell the old ones and save it towards a new cpu.

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

If you don't have a SSD, this would probably be a time to get one.  But otherwise, yeah, there isn't much you can really 'upgrade' without committing to a whole new motherboard/CPU/RAM setup. 

200 Euros should get you into a ~512gb, maybe even a 1TB SSD.  It might not help you out on the games all that much, but will for pretty much anything else you use the computer for. 

gta 5 is cpu's hungry, and your cpu was not high end not even on 2008... 

and GPUs too are not the best.. but i think in gta 5 your problem is the cpu.

i don't know about fallout 4.

an used good FX is not so expensive, and then wait the new generation of GPU to upgrade gpu.

anyway the best thing to know what to upgrade first is:

Download MSI Afterburner and on setting put cpu and gpu usage on screen .

Thanks for replies guys!

Weird stuff happens in afterburner: my other GPU is mostly not doing anything sometimes it goes to 50 percent or less but most of the time is on 0. And since driver support for GPU is expired (last update for it was in December) i will probably go with RedWulf's suggestion and buy new GPU and sell old ones. Any suggestion on which GPU to go for? R9 380 2GB DDR5 and GTX960 2GB are in that price range here....

PS: Decent SSD are bit pricey here and i don't think i would gain much performance for the $.

2 hours ago, LoCoSerRu said:

Thanks for replies guys!

Weird stuff happens in afterburner: my other GPU is mostly not doing anything sometimes it goes to 50 percent or less but most of the time is on 0. And since driver support for GPU is expired (last update for it was in December) i will probably go with RedWulf's suggestion and buy new GPU and sell old ones. Any suggestion on which GPU to go for? R9 380 2GB DDR5 and GTX960 2GB are in that price range here....

PS: Decent SSD are bit pricey here and i don't think i would gain much performance for the $.

Download Crimson Drivers they are updated

if the GPU is not at 100% maybe you have a cpu bottleneck, how much is the CPU % usage?

the 380 is better than 960, it use a bit more Watts, but you have 2 6870, you don't have PSU problems.. 

SSD are good for starting games, in games the performances are the same, no fps gain.

In your case I would suggest getting more cash and moving to new set up...

I m not sure about that psu age and if it supports new sleep modes for intel cpus, but case can be reused...

There are few ways to save cash and 1 option is to go haswell and you can save on ram... but with 250$ you can get i5 and motherboard and stick old ram in and if psu can be used for haswell it awesome...

Otherway you could go for skylake or wait out new kabylake or zen...

As a gamer get 4 core good cpu...

Latter you can get yourself gpu... moddrn cpus have pretty good inbuilt gpus...

Anyways latter I would suggest buying 250gb ssd and psu might be a good investment

After that gpu and ram to 16gbs