How long does Windows 10 update take

C.G.F.Sabre

I have been Waiting for like 2 hours and it still says that it is saying starting download. How long does this take, and has anyone else had this problem?

You mean to go from 7/8 to 10? oh, just go take a nap, grab a snack and find mordor, then it should be done. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

I wouldn't update Windows 7/8 to 10 if you've used 7/8 for any period of time. Too much can go wrong.

Its better to do a clean install of 10 (or 7/8 then upgrade)

That being said, give it a few more hours and if it doesn't progress... we'll go from there.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

11 minutes ago, C.G.F.Sabre said:

I have been Waiting for like 2 hours and it still says that it is saying starting download. How long does this take, and has anyone else had this problem?

Has it restarted even once yet? Whats your internet speed(it is about 3GB of data)?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

1 minute ago, HPWebcamAble said:

I wouldn't update Windows 7/8 to 10 if you've used 7/8 for any period of time. Too much can go wrong.

Its better to do a clean install of 10 (or 7/8 then upgrade)

That being said, give it a few more hours and if it doesn't progress... we'll go from there.

like what

5 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

Has it restarted even once yet? Whats your internet speed(it is about 3GB of data)?

what do you mean by has it restarted.

18 minutes ago, C.G.F.Sabre said:

on first launch, i got mine updates in less than 10 minuets 

3 hours ago, C.G.F.Sabre said:

You mean a Windows Update, or the upgrade from Windows 7/8 to Windows 10?

If it is a Windows Update, just restart your system, wait a bit, and try again.

If it the Windows 7/8 to Windows 10, is it through Windows Update? Or the Get Windows 10 app. If it is through the app it only downloads when the system is idle from what I recall correctly. If it is through Windows Update, restart your computer and try again. If it still happens, run the Windows Update Troubleshooter, which will detect the problem, and fix it, by clearing the cache, and anything it started to download, and this will allow you to start the download process fresh.

Alternatively, you can use the Windows Media Creation Tool found here, to do the upgrade:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

(Click on "Download Tool Now" button).

If the problem happens with this tool, then god have mercy on you... just kidding! :)

You can get the ISO here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

If you extract the ISO on a blank disk, then you are ready to go.

If you extract the ISO on a USB flash drive, follow the instruction if you have a BIOS or UEFI with the software to extract and make your USB drive bootable.

It is important that this done correctly, else it wont boot, or it will switch your UEFI into the legacy BIOS mode (you can't change that after Windows is installed).

In the setup, be sure to click on Upgrade, and not Custom (clean install). Upgrading while not the best, as it i your system isn't totally 100%, things can screw up and you are looking at a clean install afterwards, but you are sure that Windows 10 will see your previous version of Windows, and within a few minutes (usually a Windows Update, after Windows 10 is installed, kicks the activation in), and will upgrade your license to Windows 10, and activate itself successfully. The new product key is stored in the cloud on Microsoft server, so your next clean install (as long at the motherboard doesn't change), will activate automatically, else click on change product key, and enter your previous license of Windows 7/8 that you have, and it will re-upgrade, and activate.

Leave PC on for the night, and wake up to it.

CPU: Intel i5-3470

GPU: MSI GTX 780

1 minute ago, rand0mpcshizzle said:

Not as long as installing ubuntu gnome 

Don't give into the msoft telemetry shillness

Ubuntu collected telemetry data. :)

Soooooo...

4 minutes ago, rand0mpcshizzle said:

Not half as much, you can actually kill processes and isn't that just a unity thing, not a problem with gnome

Doesn't matter. And that is still the core part from an end user perspective.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Doesn't matter.

erm given the previous object was that it does yet we've now deduced it doesn't, surely that matters as it nullifies the objection to installing linux over msoft shill?

Would like to point out that removing the telemetry shizzle from ubuntu would be like \aleph_0x easier than on winddoze.

By using a different distro, so, not ubuntu.

It's a good thing that that the topic of conversation is on Windows, and telling people to install a Linux based OS is no answer to the OP problems. Might as well say: buy a new computer.

So stay on topic please, thank you.