SSD Question

Apache Protocol
Go to solution Solved by zMeul,

whatever you do, don't use the SP550 as a boot drive - this SSD is affected by cell voltage drift and in couple of months the read speeds will get quite low

So Basically i got to upgrade my current laptop to SSD Specifically replacing my Amazing Western Digital Blue 1TB 5200RPM to a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB this was last 2015. But this 2016 i have basically have more time at my house and decided to get back in Gaming and got to Build my first Gaming PC and only Spend Almost $600.

my question is this at first the Samsung SSD 850 EVO was installed in the Laptop and to what i have experience it did wonders for may every day work and got a extra cash to splurge and buy a PC dedicated for only my Gaming really the PC is really just for my two most played games Dota 2 and CS:GO.

Now i got an extra time to back up everything and Replace my ADATA Premier SP550 120GB on my Gaming Rig and Took out my Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB on my Laptop and swtich them both.

what i found was really interesting.... i really cant see the difference between the two. i mean yeah if you benchmark them both obviously the Samsung wins but to the things i do on the laptop i don't know if i call it downgrading i see no drastic change.

Is it even Possible that for some people who has been using Mechanical drive will still need time to grasp the Speed of an SSD. 

GAMING RIG

i5 4590 / 16GB / RX 480 8GB

They are just so fast that there is not much of a difference in real world use

Laptop - Dell 7559

Intel Core i7 -6700hq / Nvidia GTX 960m / 16gb RAM / 128GB M.2 SSD / 1TB HDD

When i switched my drive i used to go do something else when it was booting as i used to have to wait like 5 min for it to turn on, so i just became a creature of habit. So i guess people are just used to waiting around they are so oblivious to the change in speed from mechanical to ssd

Laptop - Dell 7559

2 minutes ago, kingatlas said:

They are just so fast that there is not much of a difference in real world use

yes here what i did.

On my Acer Laptop w/ Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB on a Fresh Installed OEM Windows 10 Home no things installed.

Cold Start to Windows Desktop the Laptop Booted up for a mere "13~14Sec" +/-

But them when i Replace it with the ADATA Premier SP 550 120GB Cold Start to Windows Desktop the Laptop Booted up for a mere "13~14Sec" +/-

On this note i told my self did i waste more money to get the Samsung?

By the way the Price of the Samsung here in my Country the time of Purchase was around $110-120 and the ADATA at the time of my Purchase was $35-45.

to make my point is it even better for me just to purchase 3 ADATA rather getting 1 Samsung

GAMING RIG

The difference between 1.1 seconds loading or 0.9s. It doesn't matter, even though it's 15% faster

Ummm in your laptop can you fit 3 ssd's

Laptop - Dell 7559

1 minute ago, kingatlas said:

Ummm in your laptop can you fit 3 ssd's

Lol not my point, was pointing out that the Samsung 850 EVO 250GB cost 3 times of a ADATA SP550 120GB.

but hopefully someone here can make a Topic explaining this in a way that other people will just understand that Things does work even if your on a budget. 

GAMING RIG

7 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Yes you can hardly tell the difference in performance in regular use, provided you're not using any particularly bad SSD.

Your post pretty much explains why it is dumb for regular people to splurge on lower capacity PCIE/NVME drives.

You made a good call to replace the WD Blue with an SSD.

SSDs take less power, preserving battery juice.

They are also immune to read head crash from drop/shock to the laptop

Last but not least they are also lighter and slimmer

your right i had a bad example last 2009 of my school years, someone knock me down and when i hit the floor my bag fell so hard that i heard something break but when i check my laptop the screen was fine and when i tried to power it on it sounds like a something was screaming.

HDD for a long duration of time it can get warm SSD are so Chill that i hardly even notice it. and Bonus i will never need to hear that squeaking sound again when copying large amount of data. 

GAMING RIG

whatever you do, don't use the SP550 as a boot drive - this SSD is affected by cell voltage drift and in couple of months the read speeds will get quite low

10 minutes ago, zMeul said:

So just did some reading on cell voltage drift. Didn't even know it was a thing. Even samsung products can be effected.

MSI Nightblade MI2

CPU: Intel i7 6700. Motherboard: MSI B060. RAM: 16GB HyperX Impact. GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 970. Case: Nightblade MI2. Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue, OCZ 120GB and 125GB M.2. PSU: Custom 350w Bronze. Display(s): BenQ 24" & 50" Samsung TV. Keyboard: Logitech G15. Mouse: Logitech MX Revolution. Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

2 hours ago, Ruhel said:

So just did some reading on cell voltage drift. Didn't even know it was a thing. Even samsung products can be effected.

the Samsung 840 EVO was the 1st case where it blew up because they sold quite a lot of units

generally, best practice to avoid planar TLC NAND SSDs where data resides for prolonged periods

I would use them for scratch disks or other similar stuff; or even put some games on them and just move the folders from time to time