Planned Upcoming Build

So I've made a few threads about my planned upcoming build, but after the help of the other threads, I've finally come to this

My budget for the PC only was to be about $1,500, and with peripherals (Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, and Monitor) to be roughly $1,899 (though I'm fine spending the little bit more I have configured right now.)

Before any of you comment on my storage, yes I understand 500GB isn't much. However I don't plan on using that much storage initially as I'm not going to be putting a ton of games on it or large video or photo files.

My current Steam Library and Wishlist makes up about 35 Games not a whole lot of those games are more than 10GB to 20GB.

I guess I'd be willing to change the mobo out to a Z170 Krait though I do really like the Z170-Pro (The Z170-A from Asus has some short cuts that don't make much sense)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($209.99 @ Micro Center) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($46.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170-PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($194.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($149.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390X 8GB Tri-X OC Video Card  ($390.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($105.59 @ NZXT) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Monitor: Dell P2416D 60Hz 23.8" Monitor  ($296.81 @ B&H) 
Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 
Mouse: Logitech MX Master Bluetooth Wireless Laser Mouse  ($74.59 @ B&H) 
Other: Thonet & Vander LAUT 2.1ch speakers ($99.00)
Other: NZXT Hue+ ($60.00)
Total: $1918.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-08 21:40 EDT-0400

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 hour ago, wcreek said:

So I've made a few threads about my planned upcoming build, but after the help of the other threads, I've finally come to this

My budget for the PC only was to be about $1,500, and with peripherals (Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, and Monitor) to be roughly $1,899 (though I'm fine spending the little bit more I have configured right now.)

Before any of you comment on my storage, yes I understand 500GB isn't much. However I don't plan on using that much storage initially as I'm not going to be putting a ton of games on it or large video or photo files.

My current Steam Library and Wishlist makes up about 35 Games not a whole lot of those games are more than 10GB to 20GB.

I guess I'd be willing to change the mobo out to a Z170 Krait though I do really like the Z170-Pro (The Z170-A from Asus has some short cuts that don't make much sense)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($149.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 

Here:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cYcPbv

I got you cheaper ram, less storage (compromise for 1TB hdd), worse gpu (not by much though) and a better psu because you need at least a 750W for an R9 390

3 hours ago, wcreek said:

Where did your budget go?

Here, this includes a 1440p 144hz IPS free-sync display

might be worth going for the OC'd i5 but you're spending way too much on your motherboard there man.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GQypdC
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GQypdC/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($309.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI B150M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($61.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.77 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card  ($309.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($72.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Acer XF270HU 144Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($582.77 @ Amazon)
Total: $1470.37
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-09 00:47 EDT-0400

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

8 hours ago, jkeasley said:

Here:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cYcPbv

I got you cheaper ram, less storage (compromise for 1TB hdd), worse gpu (not by much though) and a better psu because you need at least a 750W for an R9 390

I'd probably go for different RAM, not a huge fan of the red heatsinks, iirc Kingston's HyperX Fury Black is slightly cheaper than the LPX.

I recall the NEX not being quite as good of the G2, GS, P2 and T2.

I'd been assured that 550 watts was sufficient for this config of a Skylake K CPU, and R9 390(X)

Like I said I'm not sure storage is going to be a huge problem for me, as I can always add more in later.

I'm guessing the 390 performs close enough at 1440p to the 390X.

I was after a pretty decent FPS scale from going to 1440p/390(X) instead of 1080p/380(X). 

@Streetguru Yeah I know the Z170-Pro (Non Gaming Pro) from Asus is nearly US$200, I've started liking the Z170 Krait (Don't remember how much the Z170-SLI Plus was from MSI.) a little better, I just wished that it had that plastic covering the I/O like most of the Asus boards. I don't really like some of the shortcuts that Asus took on the Z170-A though they're most cosmetic (Not a fully black PCB and a cheaply done I/O shield.) 

PC only I am under budget for the PC only budget I wanted to be within. If I did get to (or closer to) $1,500 I would have to spend less on peripherals.

Here's the Krait Z170 http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qqMKFT

Here's the Asus Z170 http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qmZPbv

Both are under budget. Technically if I wanted to take money away from Peripherals I could possibly afford to fit an i7 6700K in either build. 

Within my PC budget, I could swap out both the Krait and Z170-Pro for an MSI Z170 SLI Plus and i7 6700K.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3mZPbv

Edit: 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tM7gYJ 

I could do this if I wanted to keep the Strafe RGB...

Or

Save a little bit, I still wouldn't have it in my budget do both 390X and Mechanical Keyboard

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/X4VRf7

I'm not sure I really want or need an i7 though. I mean I guess it'd be more of a long term thing instead of waiting on Kaby Lake next year.

Edited by wcreek
Added some Builds

On 4/9/2016 at 10:02 PM, wcreek said:

I'd probably go for different RAM, not a huge fan of the red heatsinks, iirc Kingston's HyperX Fury Black is slightly cheaper than the LPX.

I recall the NEX not being quite as good of the G2, GS, P2 and T2.

I'd been assured that 550 watts was sufficient for this config of a Skylake K CPU, and R9 390(X)

Like I said I'm not sure storage is going to be a huge problem for me, as I can always add more in later.

I'm guessing the 390 performs close enough at 1440p to the 390X.

I was after a pretty decent FPS scale from going to 1440p/390(X) instead of 1080p/380(X). 

@Streetguru Yeah I know the Z170-Pro (Non Gaming Pro) from Asus is nearly US$200, I've started liking the Z170 Krait (Don't remember how much the Z170-SLI Plus was from MSI.) a little better, I just wished that it had that plastic covering the I/O like most of the Asus boards. I don't really like some of the shortcuts that Asus took on the Z170-A though they're most cosmetic (Not a fully black PCB and a cheaply done I/O shield.) 

PC only I am under budget for the PC only budget I wanted to be within. If I did get to (or closer to) $1,500 I would have to spend less on peripherals.

Here's the Krait Z170 http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qqMKFT

Here's the Asus Z170 http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qmZPbv

Both are under budget. Technically if I wanted to take money away from Peripherals I could possibly afford to fit an i7 6700K in either build. 

Within my PC budget, I could swap out both the Krait and Z170-Pro for an MSI Z170 SLI Plus and i7 6700K.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3mZPbv

Edit: 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tM7gYJ 

I could do this if I wanted to keep the Strafe RGB...

Or

Save a little bit, I still wouldn't have it in my budget do both 390X and Mechanical Keyboard

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/X4VRf7

I'm not sure I really want or need an i7 though. I mean I guess it'd be more of a long term thing instead of waiting on Kaby Lake next year.

One thing I want to point out: 550W is not enough for an r9 390/x

Anywhere you read would say that the absolute minimum is 600-650W. Now either you're going to listen to someone that has done a load of research on it, or you're going to not listen and probably screw your computer...your choice.

As for PSUs, I generally go for the 750W that has a lot of good reviews. Eg. EVGA generally makes great PSUs

2 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

Anywhere you read would say that the absolute minimum is 600-650W. Now either you're going to listen to someone that has done a load of research on it, or you're going to not listen and probably screw your computer...your choice.

As for PSUs, I generally go for the 750W that has a lot of good reviews. Eg. EVGA generally makes great PSUs

@STRMfrmXMN

and

@thekeemo

Pointed me to this video.

PCPP estimates the total power draw at 467 watts.

@byalexandr has run a 290 on a 400w PSU You can CF on a 750w

Also Jay got the 80 plus thing wrong

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Just now, byalexandr said:

Not anymore

Yes but you do know it works.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

1 minute ago, thekeemo said:

Yes but you do know it works.

Oh yeah, it works alright lol

30 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

550W is plenty for a 390X. Stop acting like a smartass.

Here: 342W under load with an OC'd 5960X and a 390X https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-radeon-r9-390x-gaming-8g-oc-review,8.html

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

13 minutes ago, wcreek said:

@STRMfrmXMN

and

@thekeemo

Pointed me to this video.

It's a great video to show people that computers use a lot less power than people think but he did get his 80 PLUS explanation wrong.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

On 4/9/2016 at 6:45 PM, wcreek said:

That's a pretty damn balanced system. I'd probably get better speakers tho :P

2 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

... but he did get his 80 PLUS explanation wrong.

13 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

Also Jay got the 80 plus thing wrong

Eh his 80 Plus explanation doesn't really matter in the case of power draw.

Just now, wcreek said:

Eh his 80 Plus explanation doesn't really matter in the case of power draw.

Yes but I dont want him making PSU decisions with that in his mind.

Yes but I dont want him making PSU decisions with that in his mind.

Who? Jayztwocents?

Just now, wcreek said:

Who? Jayztwocents?

OP

EDIT:

Didnt see that it was you

I would also recommend going with a MSI board and GPU but you talked about not caring about the warranty.

OP

Lol then that would be me.

I'm aware that 80 Plus ratings are only part of the story.

7 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

EDIT:

Didnt see that it was you

I would also recommend going with a MSI board and GPU but you talked about not caring about the warranty.

Yeah I'm aware of Asus not having a very reliable warranty service. 

If I did go MSI, it would probably be either the Z170 SLI Plus or the Z170 Krait X3 (reasons for the X3 instead of the -A). Rear I/O isn't quite as good as the Asus boards.

11 hours ago, wcreek said:

Are you going to be doing anything other the browsing the web!!!! That estimate is at idle. I currently own a R9 390 and whenever I start gaming it automatically jumps up to 100% load. Get at least a 600-650.

On 4/9/2016 at 8:45 PM, wcreek said:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VWbHVn
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VWbHVn/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($348.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: LEPA AquaChanger 120 103.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Biostar Z170GT7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($117.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($56.97 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($45.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card  ($638.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Corsair Air 540 Silver ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($48.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $1497.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-11 07:42 EDT-0400

1 hour ago, Aditya0002 said:

Not a huge fan of Nvidia.

It's not a bad build but probably not something I'd build.

3 hours ago, rowanhazard said:

Are you going to be doing anything other the browsing the web!!!! That estimate is at idle. I currently own a R9 390 and whenever I start gaming it automatically jumps up to 100% load. Get at least a 600-650.

:| 550 Watts should be fine but I'd be fine spending $10 more on the 650 watt G2.

3 hours ago, rowanhazard said:

1 hour ago, wcreek said:

I guess if Storage is such a big deal....

Then how about this.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xFCWMp

Or this

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nxTgYJ

Or this

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WVfZnQ

I like the first one, though the second one is just as good but cheaper.

Third one is more expensive but more SSD goodness.

59 minutes ago, wcreek said:

ok ,than this should work, and you can also save save few bucks , 

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/h3JQjX
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/h3JQjX/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($348.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: LEPA AquaChanger 120 103.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($87.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($56.97 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($45.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury X 4GB Video Card  ($599.99 @ Micro Center) 
Case: Corsair Air 540 Silver ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($48.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $1428.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-11 12:04 EDT-0400