5820k vs. 6700k

Go to solution Solved by NumLock21,
1 hour ago, ddbtkd456 said:

Well the motherboard I was looking at getting was the ASUS x99 Deluxe/USB 3.1, with the build in WiFi and 3 way SLI according to your chart, I was wondering if this would support SLI and a M.2 on a 5820k cpu?

lanes.JPG

pcie.JPG

m.2.JPG

* Onboard M.2 shares bandwidth with PCIe x16 slot #5

* For a 5820K and 2-way SLI, the video cards must be installed into PCIe x16 slots #1 and #4, this will use up a total of 24 out of 28 lanes. And you'll have 4 lanes left that goes to the onboard M.2.

* You might be able to trick the board by pretending that you're going to run 3-way SLI, but in reality you're not.

The video cards will go into PCIe slots #1 and #2. In this configuration, the gpus will run at x8/x8 so all you're using is just 16 out of the 28 lanes, which leaves you with 12 lanes left. The M.2 PCIe card goes into PCIe slot #4, where it will use up 8 lanes no matter what, and that leaves you with 4 lanes left with for the onboard M.2 The trick method may not work unless that PCIe m.2 card is actually installed or maybe won't even work at all. Not sure if N/A really means the slots will not work at all or it just means SLI don't work with those slots. I'll try to run my HD5850 into a N/A slot and see if it boots, later on, when I get a chance.

slots 1 and 4 (2-way SLI) + 1x  onboard M.2 = 28 (2-way SLI with 1x M.2 drive)

slots 1 and 2 (2-way SLI) + 1x M.2 (PCIe card in slot 4) + 1x onboard M.2 = 28 (2-way SLI with 2x M.2 drives)

* For the M.2 drive, unless you're planning to run NVME, don't bother because M.2 SATA offers no performance over the standard SATA. Not running a Intel 750 or Samsung 950 Pro, then just use a standard 2.5" SATA SSD. Saves you the hassle of juggling those PCIe lanes.

1 hour ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

yes absolutely and the X99 chipset provide an additional 8 lanes at pcie 2.0 speed which can potentially be used to run extra pciexpress and m.2 SSD's...it's plenty...in fact the 5820K can do 3 way SLI at X8/X8/X8 and still have 4 fast lanes to the CPU for your m.2 drive...and pcie 3.0 at X8 speed is not a bottleneck for any modern graphics processors.

5820K gets my vote. Overclock it slightly to say 4.0 or 4.2ghz and you,ll be golden it will be a beast at anything.

m.2 runs off the cpu not the x99 chipset.

So I am currently in the process of re-starting my build parts from scratch (I was unhappy with the old one), and was wondering for the following situations if a 5820k would be better then a 6700k. I guess the cost difference doesn't really bother me but with what I am doing on my computer I almost think that buying a 6700k would be better. I could step up one more to the 5930k but that's another $200 dollars on top of the overall cost as well. I do eventually want to SLI 980 tis, so I'm guessing the 5820k is out cause of the lanes within the chip.

Uses:

1. Gaming, want max settings or near max settings (Don't care about framerates as long as its possible)
  2. School, which is basic internet use, along with surfing the net.
  3. Ripping all movies to Plex and converting them to .avi/.mp4 (this will be done once only, or at least when I buy dvds)
  4. Ripping all music to Plex and converting them to 320 kbps (this will be done once only, or at least when I buy CDs)
  5. SLI graphics cards
  6. Serve as a Plex server most of the time, sending videos over WiFi to my two Ps4's and phones/tablets. This will be streaming in the background while playing a game on the computer.

Thanks.

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

The 5820k WILL preform better, but not be enough to justify the price jump imo

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

6700k, save some money and the performance that you sacrifice isn't that much. No need to get 6-cores for what you are doing.

3 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

But I wouldn't be able to SLI with this would I? So what it would come down to if I would want to spend the extra $200 dollars for the 5930k correct?

2 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

The 5820k WILL preform better, but not be enough to justify the price jump imo

And see this is what I was almost thinking, for the encoding side of things it will mostly be done at night when the computer isn't doing anything else. The server shouldn't be that heavy on the processor and most games don't take advantage of a quad core completely yet anyways. I do have the hyperthreading to help it along.

Just now, duckwithanokhat said:

6700k, save some money and the performance that you sacrifice isn't that much. No need to get 6-cores for what you are doing.

I didn't think it was going to make a difference other then the fact that it might save a little time on the encoding, but then again encoding isn't exactly a short task to start with.

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

What makes you think you can't use SLI with the 5820k?  It has 28 PCI lanes, which is more than enough.  Also, at least in the US the 5820k is only an extra $20 or so more expensive than the 6700k.

i7-5820k  |  MSI X99S SLI-Plus  |  4x4GB HyperX 2400 DDR4  |  Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2  |  Samsung 840 EVO 1TB x2  |  Corsair AX1200i  |  Corsair H100i  |  NZXT H440 Razer

In games they trade blows depending on the game. More games favor the 6700k than the 5820 but still there are games that prefer the additional cores. Web browsing prefers less cores also, ripping movies likes lots of cores, ripping music is usually single core (lame), SLI GPUs will work on both about equally, and playing stuff in the background while transcoding would heavily favor the 5820.

Might want to wait for broadwell e.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

4 hours ago, Orblivion said:

What makes you think you can't use SLI with the 5820k?  It has 28 PCI lanes, which is more than enough.  Also, at least in the US the 5820k is only an extra $20 or so more expensive than the 6700k.

I thought that since it wasn't a 40 PCI lane cpu that it would bottleneck the SLI configuration? Am I really misunderstanding PCI lanes that bad? Whats the difference between 28 PCI lanes and 40 then? Like you could run a M.2 and SLI with 40 lanes but not 28?

4 hours ago, BrightCandle said:

In games they trade blows depending on the game. More games favor the 6700k than the 5820 but still there are games that prefer the additional cores. Web browsing prefers less cores also, ripping movies likes lots of cores, ripping music is usually single core (lame), SLI GPUs will work on both about equally, and playing stuff in the background while transcoding would heavily favor the 5820.

Yea, I would be streaming to a device via plex and my fiance would be playing a game on it. Thats what I mean and I do agree with you that the 5820k would be a better fit for this.

2 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Might want to wait for broadwell e.

I could but I normally like to wait a bit before buying a brand new cpu that was just realized, reason is the first and second batch are were the rough ones are after that they start to stabilize a little bit more.

11 minutes ago, ddbtkd456 said:

I could but I normally like to wait a bit before buying a brand new cpu that was just realized, reason is the first and second batch are were the rough ones are after that they start to stabilize a little bit more.

The 5820K you buy right now is the same 5820K that was launched in August of 2014. No difference between the ones now and those from before. For the lanes, a 5820K will let you run 2-way SLI along with a M.2 drive, but that depends on the board, and which functions it likes to disable. So check out their specs before buying.

e.g. Asus Sabertooth X99, m.2 will not work when a card is installed into the 3rd PCIe x16 slot.

For some boards a 5820K with 2-way SLI, it does not allow video card spacing, only the 5930, 5960X and other 40 lanes cpus can.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

4 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

The 5820K you buy right now is the same 5820K that was launched in August of 2014. No difference between the ones now and those from before. For the lanes, a 5820K will let you run 2-way SLI along with a M.2 drive, but that depends on the board on which functions it likes to disable. So check out their specs before buying.

e.g. Asus Sabertooth X99, m.2 will not work when a card is installed into the 3rd PCIe x16 slot.

Well I happened to take a look at your sig and found your link down there and followed that, so any of those boards that support 3-way SLI would be able to support SLI and a M.2 according to that graph?

1 minute ago, ddbtkd456 said:

Well I happened to take a look at your sig and found your link down there and followed that, so any of those boards that support 3-way SLI would be able to support SLI and a M.2 according to that graph?

It should be able to support it, but do check specs to make sure what features the board likes to disable, say m.2 connector or sata express, or a physical x16 slot.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

My view;

5820K,

-Gives you the option for upgrading to 8c/10c cpus in future

-Up to 8 memory slots, 128GB ram limit.

-Easily overclockable to 4.2 - 4.4 ish, meaning you can fairly easy get about 40-45% higher performance for those media conversions.

-2 way SLI at 16/8, and can even run 3 way crossfire at 16/8/4

-No built in graphics.

-Quad channel memory - no need for silly price memory for good bandwidth.

6700K,

-Unknown upgradeablility, yes there is cannonlake etc but whether they increase core count or not is unknown.

-Easy ish to overclock to 4.6 - 4.8, netting a little extra above the 4.2 default turbo.

-Only 2 way SLI at 8/8.

-Chipset has more PCIe lanes (generally cannot be used for graphics, these are for things like M.2 slots and Sata Express).

-Built in graphics.

-Max of 4 memory slots, limits to about 64GB ram.

Personally i went for a 5820K.

If you go for X99, don't expect to get super high memory clocks, as the chips are older the IMC is weaker, i was unable to get 3200MHz ram working on my 5820K, though this varies by CPU. You get quad channel which is double the bandwidth of dual channel at the same frequency.

6 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

It should be able to support it, but do check specs to make sure what features the board likes to disable, say m.2 connector or sata express, or a physical x16 slot.

Well the motherboard I was looking at getting was the ASUS x99 Deluxe/USB 3.1, with the build in WiFi and 3 way SLI according to your chart, I was wondering if this would support SLI and a M.2 on a 5820k cpu?

1 minute ago, ValkyrieStar said:

My view;

5820K,

-Gives you the option for upgrading to 8c/10c cpus in future

-Up to 8 memory slots, 128GB ram limit.

-Easily overclockable to 4.2 - 4.4 ish, meaning you can fairly easy get about 40-45% higher performance for those media conversions.

-2 way SLI at 16/8, and can even run 3 way crossfire at 16/8/4

-No built in graphics.

-Quad channel memory - no need for silly price memory for good bandwidth.

6700K,

-Unknown upgradeablility, yes there is cannonlake etc but whether they increase core count or not is unknown.

-Easy ish to overclock to 4.6 - 4.8, netting a little extra above the 4.2 default turbo.

-Only 2 way SLI at 8/8.

-Chipset has more PCIe lanes (generally cannot be used for graphics, these are for things like M.2 slots and Sata Express).

-Built in graphics.

-Max of 4 memory slots, limits to about 64GB ram.

Personally i went for a 5820K.

If you go for X99, don't expect to get super high memory clocks, as the chips are older the IMC is weaker, i was unable to get 3200MHz ram working on my 5820K, though this varies by CPU. You get quad channel which is double the bandwidth of dual channel at the same frequency.

I plan on slightly overclocking my build I'm not one to try and keep pushing my luck with the overclocking of a computer, I had a FX 8350 overclocked to 4.7 GHz on my first build, nothing too crazy.

I plan on slightly overclocking my build I'm not one to try and keep pushing my luck with the overclocking of a computer, I had a FX 8350 overclocked to 4.7 GHz on my first build, nothing too crazy.

299c98ae4e.png

yes absolutely and the X99 chipset provide an additional 8 lanes at pcie 2.0 speed which can potentially be used to run extra pciexpress and m.2 SSD's...it's plenty...in fact the 5820K can do 3 way SLI at X8/X8/X8 and still have 4 fast lanes to the CPU for your m.2 drive...and pcie 3.0 at X8 speed is not a bottleneck for any modern graphics processors.

5820K gets my vote. Overclock it slightly to say 4.0 or 4.2ghz and you,ll be golden it will be a beast at anything.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

The motherboard he mentions can run 8/8/8 with a 5820K, the M.2 slot is a vertical mounted one and is ran from those CPU lanes.

1c0f81924b.png

It comes with a pcie bracket for an M.2 card, allowing you to mount it directly to the PCIe 3.0 lanes on the CPU, so i'm unsure how a 3 way gpu would run with that m.2 slot in use.

31 minutes ago, ddbtkd456 said:

I thought that since it wasn't a 40 PCI lane cpu that it would bottleneck the SLI configuration? Am I really misunderstanding PCI lanes that bad? Whats the difference between 28 PCI lanes and 40 then? Like you could run a M.2 and SLI with 40 lanes but not 28?

Modern GPUs still haven't really moved beyond the need for x8 bandwidth in PCIe 3.0  So the difference between running 2-way SLI at x16/x16 (32 lanes) vs x8/x8 (16 lanes), will be negligible.  28 Lanes gives you plenty of lanes for the 2-way SLI you're planning, with some to spare for any other PCIe hardware you want to put in.  Besides, the 6700k has only 16 lanes, so I don't know why 28 would have been an issue with the 5820k.

i7-5820k  |  MSI X99S SLI-Plus  |  4x4GB HyperX 2400 DDR4  |  Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2  |  Samsung 840 EVO 1TB x2  |  Corsair AX1200i  |  Corsair H100i  |  NZXT H440 Razer

2 minutes ago, ValkyrieStar said:

The motherboard he mentions can run 8/8/8 with a 5820K, the M.2 slot is a vertical mounted one and is ran from those CPU lanes.

1c0f81924b.png

It comes with a pcie bracket for an M.2 card, allowing you to mount it directly to the PCIe 3.0 lanes on the CPU, so i'm unsure how a 3 way gpu would run with that m.2 slot in use.

I am only going to be using SLI 2-way plus a M.2 at the most at all times, otherwise I will just upgrade cards. :) More then two in SLI really doesn't benefit from a performance standard.

1 hour ago, ddbtkd456 said:

lanes.JPG

pcie.JPG

m.2.JPG

* Onboard M.2 shares bandwidth with PCIe x16 slot #5

* For a 5820K and 2-way SLI, the video cards must be installed into PCIe x16 slots #1 and #4, this will use up a total of 24 out of 28 lanes. And you'll have 4 lanes left that goes to the onboard M.2.

* You might be able to trick the board by pretending that you're going to run 3-way SLI, but in reality you're not.

The video cards will go into PCIe slots #1 and #2. In this configuration, the gpus will run at x8/x8 so all you're using is just 16 out of the 28 lanes, which leaves you with 12 lanes left. The M.2 PCIe card goes into PCIe slot #4, where it will use up 8 lanes no matter what, and that leaves you with 4 lanes left with for the onboard M.2 The trick method may not work unless that PCIe m.2 card is actually installed or maybe won't even work at all. Not sure if N/A really means the slots will not work at all or it just means SLI don't work with those slots. I'll try to run my HD5850 into a N/A slot and see if it boots, later on, when I get a chance.

slots 1 and 4 (2-way SLI) + 1x  onboard M.2 = 28 (2-way SLI with 1x M.2 drive)

slots 1 and 2 (2-way SLI) + 1x M.2 (PCIe card in slot 4) + 1x onboard M.2 = 28 (2-way SLI with 2x M.2 drives)

* For the M.2 drive, unless you're planning to run NVME, don't bother because M.2 SATA offers no performance over the standard SATA. Not running a Intel 750 or Samsung 950 Pro, then just use a standard 2.5" SATA SSD. Saves you the hassle of juggling those PCIe lanes.

1 hour ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

m.2 runs off the cpu not the x99 chipset.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!