Build a laptop from scratch

willsamuels

Is it possible to build a laptop out of desktop parts and make it look professional

I would think so but it would probably be really ugly and u would have to keep it plugged in

if your asking, probbly dont have the skills for it. xD

it would be very very very hard. 

no its gonna look like crap and be as thick as a phonebook

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Supercian411 said:

you can buy a kit for it

barebone laptops are the only real option unless you can custom print cases and do some handy electric work aside from plugging things together

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

1 minute ago, Supercian411 said:

you can buy a kit for it

Link?

3 minutes ago, willsamuels said:

Link?

3 minutes ago, RedWulf said:

barebone laptops are the only real option unless you can custom print cases and do some handy electric work aside from plugging things together

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

no its gonna look like crap and be as thick as a phonebook

Be better to make it out of laptop parts. Cooling will be shit if your try to make it the same size as a gaming laptop. You'll need massive heat pipes and big vents, it would be a fun project tho

11 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

Be better to make it out of laptop parts. Cooling will be shit if your try to make it the same size as a gaming laptop. You'll need massive heat pipes and big vents, it would be a fun project tho

What about making a heatsink case

2 minutes ago, willsamuels said:
16 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

What about making a heatsink case

If the case has any plastic you don't want any heat on that or on the keyboard. Look at how gaming laptops do it. You'll probably need a custom made case for the best shot at it not overheating or just making the case really hot. Unless it's like as thinks as a dictionary 

I think its possible yes. With a mini itx mobo, low profile ram, and a video card with an adapter to let it sit on its side rather than upright. For the power supply use a pico psu and connect it to a DC battery. For the case you will probably have to build it custom, but if you can get access to a 3D printer this shouldnt be a big deal. To all those saying itl be really thick, I gotta ask "So?". To be honest here, laptops have kept getting thinner over many generations but, I personally fail to see why laptops/smartphones, ect... nowadays need to be as thin as a credit card to be considered good? Give me one good reason why a laptop of these dimensions(with modern hardware of course):

http://b-i.forbesimg.com/patrickmoorhead/files/2013/04/thick-notebook.jpg

would be any less functional or mobile than a laptop so thin that its invisible on its side?:

http://lptps.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/ToshibaPortegeZ930.jpg

And people got the nerve to say that a thicker laptop would have less airflow? I hate to tell you this, but your not gonna get airflow if there's no physical space for the air to exist in the first place

A laptop made of desktop components would really only need to be as thick as the thickest component(probably the video card in this case) plus the screen laying on top when closed. And I really don't see why a laptop as thick as this:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/digitaltrends-uploads-prod/2014/02/NVIDIA_GeForce_GTX_Titan_Black_3qtr.png

Would be any less usable or mobile. In fact I really wish they would stop making laptops progressively thinner every generation, and instead focus on making laptops more powerful, because just that it can be thin doesn't mean it needs to be.

-end of rant-

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

44 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

Give me one good reason why a laptop of these dimensions(with modern hardware of course):

[pic]

would be any less functional or mobile than a laptop so thin that its invisible on its side?:

Weight? Bulk? 

I agree that we don't need to go credit card size but those old bulkers were a pain in the ass to carry around. My last laptop was a 17in/14 lb beast...it pretty much became a desktop immediately because I hated squeezing it into my bag (which had to be huge to fit it) and carrying the extra weight.

Used a lenova yoga for a bit and it was heaven! lol 

----

but back on topic... I posted the same question before a couple time but every time it ended up being a bad idea. Yes, you can make a custom laptop like a PC but the costs are usually going to be higher and you need to be more knowledgeable in computer engineering than regular pc builders.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

1 minute ago, GeekJump said:

Weight? Bulk? 

I agree that we don't need to go credit card size but those old bulkers were a pain in the ass to carry around. My last laptop was a 17in/14 lb beast...it pretty much became a desktop immediately because I hated squeezing it into my bag (which had to be huge to fit it) and carrying the extra weight.

Used a lenova yoga for a bit and it was heaven! lol 

----

but back on topic... I posted the same question before a couple time but every time it ended up being a bad idea. Yes, you can make a custom laptop like a PC but the costs are usually going to be higher and you need to be more knowledgeable in computer engineering than regular pc builders.

I guess each of us has to decide for ourselves how much is too much to carry, but I personally think its kinda sad if you find a laptop too heavy to carry, even one of the old "bulkers" as you call them. And I'm saying this as a guy who is pretty wimpy, and hasn't worked out in the past 3 years. Certainly if I can carry a thick laptop, anyone can. xD And I dunno what type of bag you were using, but generally(as with any other container), you want to buy a bag based on what the contents will be, not the other way around. So if your bag can't fit your laptop, then its probably the wrong bag for the job. I'm just saying you wouldn't try to cram your entire movie library onto a 8gb flash drive and complain that the flash drive is too small...

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

4 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

I guess each of us has to decide for ourselves how much is too much to carry, but I personally think its kinda sad if you find a laptop too heavy to carry, even one of the old "bulkers" as you call them. And I'm saying this as a guy who is pretty wimpy, and hasn't worked out in the past 3 years. Certainly if I can carry a thick laptop, anyone can. xD And I dunno what type of bag you were using, but generally(as with any other container), you want to buy a bag based on what the contents will be, not the other way around. So if your bag can't fit your laptop, then its probably the wrong bag for the job. I'm just saying you wouldn't try to cram your entire movie library onto a 8gb flash drive and complain that the flash drive is too small...

I went to a multi campus uni where I had to walk a couple miles each day + busing going to and from classes. I also bought the bag (Swiss gear) as a combo deal with the laptop so the bag was meant to fit a 17' laptop. But, because of the thickness it needs to be put in just right *insert that new 'just right' meme here* for it to fit. This was when ultrabooks were still new and were +$1500 for poop specs so I was stuck with that giant.

After year 1, I only took it to classes during review days or if the class was near my room. I will give it this, that thing was durable! Drops, spills, man handling, int' travel, that thing survived all of college then some.

Also, even manly lumberjack men will tell you that a 10 lb bag will feel like 100 lbs if you carry it for long enough. 

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)