Cherry MX Green with soft landing pads, too light?

iM8Pizza
Go to solution Solved by Dredgy,

Greens are noticeably louder than blue, and while soft pads might help noise a bit, I doubt it's enough and will hamper the typing experience. O-rings are definitely not enough, my greens still make lots of noise with both light and heavier o-rings and the typing experience is worse.

Have you tried a keyboard with MX Clears? They provide a lot of tactile feedback, more so than a blue or green, are lighter to actuate than a green switch and are quiet.

Hi guys,

the Title says it all so, will it be to light to type on? or would be somewhere closer to MX blue?

well, the main reason I'm doing this because I'm used to Blues but it's too loud for public environment (I'd be using it for school, my laptop keyboard is broken) so I'm thinking to get a "heavier" switch instead and add landing pads to it to make it lighter (hopefully near 45-50cN which is the blue "weight"). so yeah... will it be near blues? or should I prefer O-Rings?

any thoughts on those?

Greens are noticeably louder than blue, and while soft pads might help noise a bit, I doubt it's enough and will hamper the typing experience. O-rings are definitely not enough, my greens still make lots of noise with both light and heavier o-rings and the typing experience is worse.

Have you tried a keyboard with MX Clears? They provide a lot of tactile feedback, more so than a blue or green, are lighter to actuate than a green switch and are quiet.

47 minutes ago, Dredgy said:

Hmmm yeah, I'll get one with MX Clears then, thanks for the help

O rings or landing pads are completely terrible on clicky switches.  There are people who do like them, but for most people, it completely ruins the feel of them.

O rings are also hit and miss on tactile switches like MX browns, most people say it ruins the feel as browns' tactility is already subtle enough, but there are still people who like them.

O rings are usually most used on linear switches, as there is no feedback at all before bottoming out.

12 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

O rings or landing pads are completely terrible on clicky switches.  There are people who do like them, but for most people, it completely ruins the feel of them.

O rings are also hit and miss on tactile switches like MX browns, most people say it ruins the feel as browns' tactility is already subtle enough, but there are still people who like them.

O rings are usually most used on linear switches, as there is no feedback at all before bottoming out.

so you are saying that o rings and/or landing pads are bad, okay so.... is there any solution other than those to make the key quieter without ruining the whole feeling of a clicky and/or tactile switches?

Yes.  Don't use clicky switches, then.  Most of the noise of clicky switches comes from the click anyway.  As far as tactile switches, that's purely a love-hate relationship.  I don't recommend it.  I mean you can DO it.  it's your computer, not mine.