Is WoW worth it?

ashtaroth

This may seem like a shit post or something to others but to me its legit. No I haven't been living under a rock and I know that a lot of people still play it but I don't even know where to begin. I tried the free edition and it was kinda OK. Then forgot the game because didn't have friends that played it. I think it also has a monthly subscription? (Just checked and its still free for me) But seeing that Legion expansion coming and I also have SC2 and D3 digital deluxe editions I was wondering if going for it would be a good idea?

Payment is not really a problem but would spending time on that game be worth it even if I'm alone (and a noob)? Might meet some friends along the way but meh whatever. So any thoughts and opinions? I don't even know my way around, just reinstalled the starters pack again doing some low level quests and killing everything I can kill xD

Desktop: ARX-Laevatein : soon to be ARX-8 http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/8RyhHx

Custom Aurora R4 ALX case + Caselabs Merlin Pedestal | i7- 4820k @ 4.8 Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Gene Mobo | 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum | EVGA/Gigabyte 12GB Titan X SLI | 128GB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 2x WD RED 3TB| EVGA 1200 P2 PSU | Win 10 | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Corsair M95 | Asus ROG Swift PG278Q | Sennheiser G4ME ZERO White

Laptop: M17x R4 Stealth Black :

i7-3940xm | 32 Gb G.Skill Ripjaws | 8Gb GTX 880m | Killer Wireless N-1103 | 500Gb Samsung 840 EVO, 1TB WD 5400rpm + 32Gb Msata SSD Cache | 1920 x 1080 120Hz 3D screen | DVDRWBD | Sound Blaster recon 3Di | M18x 330w PSU | Win 7 Ultimate | Zalman ZM-NC11 Black | Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB | Razer Mamba 2012 | Sennheiser PC 363D 7.1 Headset

3 minutes ago, ashtaroth said:

This may seem like a shit post or something to others but to me its legit. No I haven't been living under a rock and I know that a lot of people still play it but I don't even know where to begin. I tried the free edition and it was kinda OK. Then forgot the game because didn't have friends that played it. I think it also has a monthly subscription? (Just checked and its still free for me) But seeing that Legion expansion coming and I also have SC2 and D3 digital deluxe editions I was wondering if going for it would be a good idea?

Payment is not really a problem but would spending time on that game be worth it even if I'm alone (and a noob)? Might meet some friends along the way but meh whatever. So any thoughts and opinions? I don't even know my way around, just reinstalled the starters pack again doing some low level quests and killing everything I can kill xD

I will never play WoW because I don't like that kind of games, but if you do and you enjoy it then why not?

Isn't that what games are about?

2 minutes ago, tv15dsi said:

I will never play WoW because I don't like that kind of games, but if you do and you enjoy it then why not?

Isn't that what games are about?

Yeah you got a point but for a guy that knows next to nothing about the game its kinda hard to get into you know? What is there to look forward to? Are there Any epic end game content? Time attacks or something? I know there is PVP but are there Guild vs Guild or some other fun stuff?

Custom Aurora R4 ALX case + Caselabs Merlin Pedestal | i7- 4820k @ 4.8 Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Gene Mobo | 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum | EVGA/Gigabyte 12GB Titan X SLI | 128GB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 2x WD RED 3TB| EVGA 1200 P2 PSU | Win 10 | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Corsair M95 | Asus ROG Swift PG278Q | Sennheiser G4ME ZERO White

i7-3940xm | 32 Gb G.Skill Ripjaws | 8Gb GTX 880m | Killer Wireless N-1103 | 500Gb Samsung 840 EVO, 1TB WD 5400rpm + 32Gb Msata SSD Cache | 1920 x 1080 120Hz 3D screen | DVDRWBD | Sound Blaster recon 3Di | M18x 330w PSU | Win 7 Ultimate | Zalman ZM-NC11 Black | Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB | Razer Mamba 2012 | Sennheiser PC 363D 7.1 Headset

i have played wow from the beginning on-and-off. had multiple mains and subs leveled out. If you follow the storyline it is a nice game to play. there are always people who can help you with instances or dungeons (there are group management functions for it) but if you want to play the game or not, nobody but you can decide that. 

The expansions are not that expensive. you only need to buy the game and the laters (2) expansions i believe.

6 minutes ago, JPotze said:

i have played wow from the beginning on-and-off. had multiple mains and subs leveled out. If you follow the storyline it is a nice game to play. there are always people who can help you with instances or dungeons (there are group management functions for it) but if you want to play the game or not, nobody but you can decide that. 

The expansions are not that expensive. you only need to buy the game and the laters (2) expansions i believe.

Yup I know that part. In the end I am the one that pulls the trigger but I need a few more info before finally deciding. You said you played on and off so that means you kept coming back. Was it because you missed the game? Friends? Nostalgia IDK mate just spit balling here. Anyways thanks for your input.

i liked the art style of the game and professions. I could just walk around the landscape for hours just mining ore and leveling mining profession. i liked the daily quests. i liked to sell my stuff (like ore and stuff) on the auction house. I liked the raids. the teamwork to get to the end of an instance. I had some friends who play it on and off also. so when i start playing, my friend might sub for another month too. 

maybe i go install it for myself again. B|

22 minutes ago, ashtaroth said:

Yeah you got a point but for a guy that knows next to nothing about the game its kinda hard to get into you know? What is there to look forward to? Are there Any epic end game content? Time attacks or something? I know there is PVP but are there Guild vs Guild or some other fun stuff?

you could start with warcraft 1-3 to get some "basic" knowledge about the story or who the famous characters are

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

1 minute ago, Bl00dgod said:

you could start with warcraft 1-3 to get some "basic" knowledge about the story or who the famous characters are

ZugZug! Dont need to go that far back mate. I have SC1, D2 and W3 battle chests. I like the stories of these games that is why I'm interested in WoW (because Blizzard kept me hanging with WC3TFT. In my book its Story>Graphics/Gameplay That is what gets me interested.

I played World of Warcraft for about 3 years ending during the Cataclysm expansion and still get a bit nostalgic for it every now and then. If you are enjoying it and want to play it, you should. I will say that the game is extremely dense in lore and fan-service for those who know a bit about it, so if you're into that I think there's a lot to enjoy.

It does have a monthly fee. $15 a month for four months is $60… so the way I see it, as long as you're getting as much enjoyment out of it in those four months as a new triple-A release, you're getting your money's worth. You can always stop the payments to take a break or quit whenever you want.

From someone who played WoW for a long time:

Oh...oh god no....just run....avoid it like the plague.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

I think it's a great game, though I haven't played in a couple years. Of all the MMO experiences you can have, WoW still does the whole package better than most of the field. The game is full of character, it's got a massive, interesting world and some good story beats.

I mostly played the game solo, but grouping up and raiding is much easier now than it ever was if you're into that. Personally, I just enjoyed being in the world and role playing a bit. It's kind of what you make of it.

One of my favourite moments ever was when I was questing in Cataclysm, can't remember where, and stopped by a pond to level up my fishing skill. Pretty dull task, but I needed it for a quest or something. Anyway, another player sets up beside me and starts fishing, and we strike up a conversation. Talked about the game, talked about our characters, chatted a bit about real life. We must have sat there fishing for about an hour just enjoying the company before parting ways and never seeing each other again, but it was awesome.

From a gamer standpoint yeah its a solid game and you get a absolute massive amount of content once you get your teeth into it but from one human being to another i would say run now, flee while you still can!! lol

Although i don't really play it anymore because the latest expansion pretty much cured me of my addiction to the game i think its very easy for new people to get hooked, they don't call it World of War crack for no reason :) 

22 hours ago, typographie said:

I played World of Warcraft for about 3 years ending during the Cataclysm expansion and still get a bit nostalgic for it every now and then. If you are enjoying it and want to play it, you should. I will say that the game is extremely dense in lore and fan-service for those who know a bit about it, so if you're into that I think there's a lot to enjoy.

It does have a monthly fee. $15 a month for four months is $60… so the way I see it, as long as you're getting as much enjoyment out of it in those four months as a new triple-A release, you're getting your money's worth. You can always stop the payments to take a break or quit whenever you want.

Hmmm yeah I can always quit and comeback. "Lore and fan-service" is WoW lore canon? And "fan-service" well uhm I might have been watching too much anime but is that what I think it is?@.@

21 hours ago, FruitBasketSilex said:

From someone who played WoW for a long time:

Oh...oh god no....just run....avoid it like the plague.

A plague as in for your wallet and a time sucking blackhole?

20 hours ago, EscalatorBoy said:

"Super snip + edit"

One of my favourite moments ever was when I stopped by a pond to level up my fishing skill. Sat there fishing for about an hour just before parting ways and never seeing each other again.

Sweet mother of mercy......thats the shit that I'm talking about. Serious fast paced action one minute then slice of life the next XD. The only other mmo that I got immersed in was Ragnarok the one from korea. 

19 hours ago, Newenthusiast said:

"super snip"

From one human being to another i would say run now, flee while you still can!! lol

This kinda reminds me of the time when I asked my mother where my father is. She said "he got taken by diablo" (diablo 2 and 3) no cash shops or anything. But when I was still a kid we only had one pc. Dad asked us to sleep early because we had school. That was like 7pm. Then we (me and my brother) found out he was doing all nighters in hell difficulty hahahah. It was seriously fun watching him play (when he gets his ass kicked). Family bonding time. 

I also remember when I gave him pat on the shoulder like an old man giving advice. I said: I know what that is man, its addiction and you need help. I think I got a slight tap with a newspaper on the head while he was smiling like the devil which sent me running while laughing my head off then going to sleep.

So in short its a time and money sink huh?

Damn a battle on three fronts I guess?

Anyways thank you guys very much for your insights. I think I'll treat it as a triple AAA game then try it out for a while then go on and off from there.

1 hour ago, ashtaroth said:

Hmmm yeah I can always quit and comeback. "Lore and fan-service" is WoW lore canon? And "fan-service" well uhm I might have been watching too much anime but is that what I think it is?@.@

WoW lore is canon. I don't see why it wouldn't be, it's the only Warcraft game Blizzard has made in well over a decade.

Fan service is basically anything put in to please the audience, or specific subset of the audience. In this case I mean fan-favorite characters/weapons/locations from other Warcraft media making cameo appearances, stuff like that. Pervy bikinis and camera angles in anime are just one of many possible ways to accomplish fan service. :P 

1 hour ago, typographie said:

WoW lore is canon. I don't see why it wouldn't be, it's the only Warcraft game Blizzard has made in well over a decade.

Fan service is basically anything put in to please the audience, or specific subset of the audience. In this case I mean fan-favorite characters/weapons/locations from other Warcraft media making cameo appearances, stuff like that. Pervy bikinis and camera angles in anime are just one of many possible ways to accomplish fan service. :P 

Ok noted. And phew need to get a grip, alarms go off when I hear/see that word. Thanks for the explanation.

1 hour ago, MikeBurr said:

This is a tough question. Depends on the type of gamer that you are. If you like open world games then yes you would like WOW and therefor its worth getting. However if you do not like bad graphics and poor poly-generated character models this game isn't for you. This will also depend on how much time you are willing to put into one game and if you are looking for something simple, or something complex to master. I had fun with WOW a while back. But i was pretty new and did not know the basics. Once this was taught to me I became a huge fan. Would play it more however Dota 2 has got me hooked haha. :D

I like open world games. Story>gameplay>graphics for me so yeah. I like playing complex games and throwing down with the good ones. Start off with people on my level then go one tier up I guess? I can look down from time to time but never fight down always up.  

Lastly already retired from Dota (the original one) will never play again, done to death.

The most addictive thing is raiding, clearing content and grabbing to gear. Its usually by doing this that you make your online friends and its those people that keep making you comeback. I started in May 2007 (Early TBC) and for around 10 months I wasn't really sure wtf I was doing. Then I got into a serious raiding guild and it kicked off from there. The game has changed a lot since then, and not for the best, its too simple and social friendly now. They also killed a lot of good guilds by introducing 10/25 man raiding and then basically u-turning back to 20 man cause of balancing issues. I played the whole of TBC and WOTLK (GM of a HC guild during ICC), I skipped the middle of Cata cause it was nothing short of wank lol, played the whole of Mists (may of had a few months break due to work) and killed Garrosh Hc before the shite mythic patch/nerf. Played the first tier of Warlords and thought wow this game has really gone downhill and I aint been back for 15 - 16 months. I will probably grab Legion to have a look at the Demon Hunter and pick up with some old friends.

As a new player, the game will feel great don't get me wrong as you wont know about the other stuff. Just be aware to get anywhere near the top level, be it PVP or PVE you are going to need to sink some time into it and with other people.

I say give it a go, it doesn't get good until around level 60 imo and from there it gets better, obviously the game is all about level 100/end game and tbh as someone who has tried pretty much every MMO with in reason/recent timescale (+2005) it's the best out there

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 hour ago, stealth80 said:

The most addictive thing is raiding, clearing content and grabbing to gear. Its usually by doing this that you make your online friends and its those people that keep making you comeback. I started in May 2007 (Early TBC) and for around 10 months I wasn't really sure wtf I was doing. Then I got into a serious raiding guild and it kicked off from there. The game has changed a lot since then, and not for the best, its too simple and social friendly now. They also killed a lot of good guilds by introducing 10/25 man raiding and then basically u-turning back to 20 man cause of balancing issues. I played the whole of TBC and WOTLK (GM of a HC guild during ICC), I skipped the middle of Cata cause it was nothing short of wank lol, played the whole of Mists (may of had a few months break due to work) and killed Garrosh Hc before the shite mythic patch/nerf. Played the first tier of Warlords and thought wow this game has really gone downhill and I aint been back for 15 - 16 months. I will probably grab Legion to have a look at the Demon Hunter and pick up with some old friends.

As a new player, the game will feel great don't get me wrong as you wont know about the other stuff. Just be aware to get anywhere near the top level, be it PVP or PVE you are going to need to sink some time into it and with other people.

I say give it a go, it doesn't get good until around level 60 imo and from there it gets better, obviously the game is all about level 100/end game and tbh as someone who has tried pretty much every MMO with in reason/recent timescale (+2005) it's the best out there

Raiding and PVP is what I'm mostly looking for. Cooperation with a lot of player doing a ton of tasks to defeat an epic boss or going head to head with others.

Already set on the path. By Wed I will get Legion. May the angels guide me.......

Oh yeah whats the difference between the boxed retail and digital deluxe? Just a cool box? No books or freebies other than the ingame content?

I used to play WoW and the game is definitely packed to the gills with content.

Some of the best times I've had with friends was running dungeons together. I started playing mid-WOTLK (second expansion) and ended up stopping once MOP (fourth expansion) was announced. I'd really like to start playing again, but the way Blizzard has managed this game rubs me the wrong way... That might not be a problem for someone who is playing for the first time.

Ehh. I don't know really. I played WoW for about 4 years or so, since WotLK up until MoP. When WoD came up I called it quits. I would say that the game was much much better before MoP. And it was muuuuuuch better before Cata. They dumbed down the talent system a lot, and added some questionable stuff. From what I heard WoD is not that amazing, but Legion looks like it will be better. The problem, your problem is that you missed A LOT of content and story. Lore overall. And dont get me wrong you can still experience it, but its not the same feeling. Doing Lich King with your guild for the first time. Or experiencing the wrath of Deathwing. I would say that at the moment WoW lost some of it's flavour, and that is also due to the fact that the game is very old, and sometimes people run out of ideas. Heck even I wouldn't really go back to WoW since I missed a lot of stuff already.

that games a life sucking abyss lol

prepare to lose a few months or so of time lol

Honestly I never managed to get into it, even with friends, tried many times, even subscribing, but after a few hours i just get bored of the questing and bored of pressing numbers for combat

It appeals to a certain kind of gamer, to me id rather just not play a game than play WoW

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

WoW is an horribly addictive game that should be avoided, not only does it raid your wallet, it can take over your life.....despite it's dull repetitive gameplay it somehow manages to keep you playing through miniscule rewards for the hours of time you have to put in to get them....

My advice is avoid this game like it's the clap, just find something else to play...

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----