Yamaha NS-333 AMP help?

PapaGangster

Hey guys, So I'm needing to get a amp for my NS-333 Yamaha bookshelf speakers so I can use them with my computer and just had a question about the amount of watts the amp will need. The speakers say on the back the nominal input is 60 watts and the Maximum input is 150 watts does that mean the amp needs to be more then 150watts or? This is the AMP I plan on getting http://goo.gl/RMrZZC if this one won't work with my speakers could you guys leave some suggestions on what I should get? Thanks! Stay positive guys!

No, the amp should be no more than 150W/channel.

That amp would work, but there are Better options from the likes of smsl.

Edited by spwath
James Watt is a proper noun.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

3 minutes ago, spwath said:

No, the amp should be no more than 150w/channel.

That amp would work, but there are Better options from the likes of smsl.

When you say I should go with smsl should I also get one with more watts? Or would I be ok with 20watts?

7 hours ago, PapaGangster said:

When you say I should go with smsl should I also get one with more watts? Or would I be ok with 20watts?

Well not to sound like a dick about it but the speaker says 60 Watts so why not 60 Watts. (also capitalise your W its a name)
Also that would need to be at 8 ohms.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=8+ohms+60+watts+amp

The Dick of the audio page!

Actually, having an amplifier capable of outputting above the max rated handling of the speaker is a good thing, if your amplifier were to ever clip, there would be a DC voltage present in the circuit and voice coils do not like DC at all.

Since you will probably never run the amp at max, you won't come near the max power of the speakers.

Push-To-Talk is a wonderful thing.

2 hours ago, Steinway said:

Actually, having an amplifier capable of outputting above the max rated handling of the speaker is a good thing, if your amplifier were to ever clip, there would be a DC voltage present in the circuit and voice coils do not like DC at all.

This is a convenient and practical rule of thumb; I wouldn't say it is strictly speaking a "good thing". Blowing a speaker is marginally worse than running the amp into momentary clipping due to excess gain or insufficient current.

All that matters in the end is that an amp has enough power to drive a speaker to the desired listening volume; exceeding the power handling of the speaker is an easy way to achieve this goal. Lower-end speakers won't even be able to achieve this without falling apart before exceeding their power envelope.