best bang for buck business/work laptop

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone can give me about 5-10 good work laptops, from least to most expensive, in the mid to high performance range? 

It isn't for me, it's for my mum lol but I don't really have much knowledge when it comes to laptops. The graphics side of things doesn't need to be too extreme, the work won't be so much graphically strenuous. 

Just something suitable for admin work, but will be able to handle it in large volumes ie multiple documents, tabs, programs etc. 

Battery life isn't too significant either, will mostly be used within buildings. 

Any help would be much appreciated!

Aiden. 

btw, I live in Australia if that may have any impact on availability.

Lenovo ThinkPad is what you want

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

3 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Lenovo ThinkPad is what you want

Thanks! 

Do they come in different models?

If so any particular recommendation 

I'd say even get a thinkpad X220 or something, should be able to pick one up for about $250 or less (a lot less possibly) and you will end up with fairly good battery, an i5 2xxx, and 4gb of memory. Upgradable to 8gb memory and you can mess with the storage disk if you'd like.

Edit: 12.5" screen.

t420 is about the same-ish but 14 inch.

Also you could get x2*0 or x4*0 where * is more than 2 and get a newer generation of laptop.

For reference the 2-series is from 2011-ish.

T series: highers lvl build 

W/P series: Work stations

X series: highers lvl build (maybe a little under the T series acording to some)

E series: Higher lvl entry

L series: Entry

If you can get your hands on a t420s with a i7 2640m, then buy it because that cpu is about the same as a i5 6200u and better than a i5 5200u.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

22 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

T series: highers lvl build 

W/P series: Work stations

X series: highers lvl build (maybe a little under the T series acording to some)

E series: Higher lvl entry

L series: Entry

If you can get your hands on a t420s with a i7 2640m, then buy it because that cpu is about the same as a i5 6200u and better than a i5 5200u.

Profile picture checks out for @Dackzy. This guy seems to know his Lenovo stuff.

On to your laptop search, it really depends on the budget @aidenp and your mom's usage.

If it's just office work, then any decent Lenovo or one of Dell's business based laptops will do nicely.

Something with an Intel i3, preferably i5, and at least 4GB, preferably 8GB, memory will do nicely.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

56 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Profile picture checks out for @Dackzy. This guy seems to know his Lenovo stuff.

On to your laptop search, it really depends on the budget @aidenp and your mom's usage.

If it's just office work, then any decent Lenovo or one of Dell's business based laptops will do nicely.

Something with an Intel i3, preferably i5, and at least 4GB, preferably 8GB, memory will do nicely.

Awww thanks :) 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.