Which one should I choose?

Go to solution Solved by Shahnewaz,

@FunctionCore LET'S DO THE MATH SHALL WE!!!

So your system power consumption is 440W you say. That's 44% load on your PSU.

According to Corsair's HX1000i performance graph, the efficiency ranges anywhere from ~87% to 93%.

http://www.corsair.com/en-ca/~/media/DA5B9BA332944E54859F92AB8D4D1156.ashx?w=625

You can't really pinpoint the efficiency of 44% load on the graph, but we'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and say it's 87% regardless! *

Efficiency = 0.87

Power Out = 440W

Power In * Efficiency = Power Output.

So divide Power Out with Efficiency, and the result is 505.7471264367816W, or around 505.7 Watts.

So your PSU isn't pulling nearly as much as 1000W as you say. Rather, it's pulling 505.7W from the wall, and delivering 440W to your system. Have you checked how much your PSU is pulling using a power meter? :D

* Note: The numbers would have been far better if I didn't assume your PSU's efficiency at 440W is 87%. From my eyeballing attempts, it looks around 93% efficiency at 44% load.

I have decided to replace my Corsair HX1000i PSU because my PC only requires 440W, while this PSU is pulling 1000W from the wall. Far to much.

I have found 5 PSUs that I think are good. If you have any other suggestions for PSUs, please, tell me. I have listed them below:

• Cooler Master V650S - NZ$286.35
  • Cooler Master V750S - NZ$264.49
  • Corsair RM650i - NZ$310.49
  • Corsair RM750i - NZ$333.49
  • Corsair HX750i - NZ$356.51

Please keep in mind that these prices were got from PB Tech & are the RRP in New Zealand. Here is my build If you need any info: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/user/TheFernGamer/saved/MgtPxr

Budget maxium is NZ$2000 (around 1.4 US$ or 1.8 CA$)

Vroom, Vroom, Vroom!

1 minute ago, quan289 said:

The PSU is NOT pulling 1000w from the wall. It will only draw as much as needed.

Just a techquickie video I found explaining power supplies. Somewhere in the video Linus mentions "efficiency" & wattage.

Vroom, Vroom, Vroom!

Your psu does not pull 1000w from the wall at all times, only when the load calls for it. If you already have it, just keep it in your system. A new psu won't affect your power bill much at all. I believe the HX1000i is 80+ Platinum, so there isn't really a power supply more efficient in any noticeable way than what you have.

10 minutes ago, FunctionCore said:

Just a techquickie video I found explaining power supplies. Somewhere in the video Linus mentions "efficiency" & wattage.

I'm not going to watch that, but I'm assuming you are probably misunderstanding him somewhere. If the power supply always draw 1000wAC (that rating is should be what it supplies - not what it will draw, btw), then there is no point in the 80 Plus certification.

The HXi is a 80+ Platinum power supply, and at 230V, the power supply will be a least 94% efficient @ 50% load. If your components demands 500w from the power supply, it will draw about 530wAC from the wall in which 30w of that is wasted as heat.

For further verification, look at this review on the HX1000i. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/HX1000i/5.html

Look at the "Power (DC/AC)" column. DC is what the power supply is supplying. AC is what it is drawing.

According to Corsair's HX1000i performance graph, the efficiency ranges anywhere from ~87% to 93%.

http://www.corsair.com/en-ca/~/media/DA5B9BA332944E54859F92AB8D4D1156.ashx?w=625

You can't really pinpoint the efficiency of 44% load on the graph, but we'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and say it's 87% regardless! *

Efficiency = 0.87

Power Out = 440W

So divide Power Out with Efficiency, and the result is 505.7471264367816W, or around 505.7 Watts.

So your PSU isn't pulling nearly as much as 1000W as you say. Rather, it's pulling 505.7W from the wall, and delivering 440W to your system. Have you checked how much your PSU is pulling using a power meter? :D

* Note: The numbers would have been far better if I didn't assume your PSU's efficiency at 440W is 87%. From my eyeballing attempts, it looks around 93% efficiency at 44% load.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

29 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

Efficiency = 0.87

Power Out = 440W

Ok. Thanks for the advice. I have decided to keep the power supply and not replace it.

Vroom, Vroom, Vroom!

1 hour ago, FunctionCore said:

Ok. Thanks for the advice. I have decided to keep the power supply and not replace it.

No worries. All the best! ^_^

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.