What is the best way to learn typing?

Navin

I learnt typing through the hard way (Sit and type for hours together) ... and im still not too good at it... I know there are loads of software to teach. Please post the one that are good and help people learn typing as fast as possible.

Pick a topic, give yourself a time-limit, type as much as you can in that topic, slowly lower the time and pick harder topics.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

type to learn 

thats what i used in the mid 90s

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

Pick a topic, give yourself a time-limit, type as much as you can in that topic, slowly lower the time and pick harder topics.

So there is no faster way ? think everyone has to go through the hard way i guess.

blind off all the letter on the keyboard for half a year, you can type blind like a bawz!

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

I started typing when i was 5, i still can't type with more than one finger on each hand :( 

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

My recommendation is get a standard layout keyboard. Put on some keycaps that dont have lettering or have letter you can barely see and just start a typing. Youll slowly get used to touch typing.

The first big is for me really since I have no self control and cannot break habbit easily.

A big help was getting a nicer keyboard. I just love typing on it so much because of the nice switches on it. I ended up enjoying typing and just started typing a bunch of messages and emails for practice.

Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz                               DCUII GTX 680                            16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

Sabertooth Z77 ATX                                      WD Caviar Blue 500GB+ 1TB      Corsair Obsidian 750D

Corsair TX850M Watt PSU                            Bad Custom Water Cooling          Samsung 840 Pro SSD

O when I say start typing. I do a lot of im, forum posts, irc, getting product support ansld getting rmas. All of those require alot of typing. Also I guess that coding and other stuff like that helps.

to get "faster" which is what i think your asking is to practice writeing loads of crap 

get a book newspaper what ever then copy stuff on to word practice more get "more" better =D

Well the left hand sits on ASDF, pinky on a etc.. the right hand sits on HJKL pointer finger on H. Your hands should be in these spots because its optimal, DO NOT LOOK AT THE KEYS. I can guarantee as soon as you try tying without looking at the keyboard your typing speed will be way more when you get good at it. 

I started typing when i was 5, i still can't type with more than one finger on each hand :(

Really even when I peeked all the time I still used most if not all of my fingers. I consider peeking not looking pecause I used my perferial vision to track the keys and my fingers idk how to explain really all I do know is that I didnt stare at the keys. I do know though that I got rather quick for that method, i think? Thing is though that I hit a barrier and reading and typing something was kinda hard so I slowly made my self start learning to touch type. A heads up on that youll be using the backspace and delete key a bunch.

Aren't there games that help you type? like this http://phoboslab.org/ztype/

Sorry if I'm completely missing the point as I never at any point in my life thought to myself "I need to learn how to type"

yea but I found any games or type racing stuff to not help me as I would learn phrases or words rather than just typing?

Open up notepad and watch a movie, type everything that you see and "write the movie" - all details; lightning, character dialog, scene flow. Don't allow yourself to get stuck on the errors you feel that you make, keep typing like that for the entire movie without looking at either the document or your keyboard. You'll be fast as lightning within a week!

Cheers,

Linus

My parents bought me a World Of Warcraft account 6 years ago as a way to learn typing.. I've become quite the proficient typist, yet also an addict to WoW..  So... My suggestion is to play WoW, but have more self control than I do..

While they're shooting pistols, I'm dropping nuclear bombs

I just spent too many hours typing replies in the Battlefield Heroes Forum.

Retried Battlefield Moderator EA Star Wars Battlefront Senior Moderator  Battlefield Moderator and EA Champion

'What is the best way to learn typing?'

Typing, the more you do the better you'll get, just like riding a bike though if you f**k up a sentence you don't get hurt lol

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

get a das ulimate

MoBo: GA-z77x-ud3h CPU: 2500K @ 3.1 (miss my h80) Cooler: Stock GPU: EVGA 780 ACX RAM: 8gb G.skill SSDs: 2X Sammy 120EVOs HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracudas PSU: Corsair RM750 Case: Blue NZXT H440

push buttons.. O.o

na idk I think it's best to learn over-time, I don't think there's a "5 step program" to learning, everyone types different, I think it's best to just practice and type as much as possible, it'll stick with ya.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I learned touch typing through just typing a lot. When it got to the point where I could type without looking at the keyboard, my speed increased quite noticeably. Typing in the dark helps as well. I tend to practice by writing long essays, long articles, long posts, having long and detailed IM chats (or lots of small ones at the same time).

Some typing games can be fun as well.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

http://www.typingweb.com/ is not a bad website to learn typing or you can play some typing games.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

1. Play an online video game.

2. www.typeracer.com

I'd probably second typeracer.com, though I'm not an affiliate or some paid endorsement, I just had to get premium for a graph I made for a statistics contest. ):

Typing without looking at the keyboard is most likely going to better you in the long run. Whether you go with blank keycaps, don't look at the keyboard, or if you really keep doing so, moving your keyboard under you desk (sucks if you have a glass desk) so you can't see it.