USB Boot Windows Will Not Install to HDD

Go to solution Solved by CompArt,
3 hours ago, RedWulf said:

Well running windows from a usb will be slower than sata6 yes

fat 32 only works on 32gb or below. Try deleting the partitions/raw space with dban or UBCD or another OS. 

So the reason was i had the sata cable in the wrong sata slot.........    :\

So I'm using a s5000psl motherboard (server-board) and I'm trying to USB install windows 7 ultimate x64bit on the hard drives i have hooked up.

Everything boots like its supposed to, however there's a problem when I get to the windows install on the HDD (i have two hooked up).

I get an error: "Windows Cannot Be Installed to This Disk. This Computer's Hardware May not Support Booting to This Disk."

Here are some solutions I've tried:

1. The system reads the HDDs because they're on the screen. I've tried deleting the drives, restarting then trying the "New" option and formatting then trying to install. I get the same error.

2. Going into the BIOS and switching the SATA drive to AHCI (I get the same error as above)

3. I've tried deleting the drives, restarting the hardware, then trying the "New" option and formatting then trying to install the OS. I get the same error.

4. I also tried windows server 2012, since this is a server board... (The system will not read the HDDs because they're not on the screen when I enable AHCI.)

SIDE NOTE: >>> The HDDs I have connected don't seem to be displayed in the BIOS as they are hooked up via SATA cables. Could this be a source of my issue??

Please help me try to figure out why this server board or OS is preventing me from installing on the HDDs I have. Do I need to buy new ones?

Thank you for your time and consideration. :)

IMG_2334.JPG

IMG_2334.JPG

IMG_2338.JPG

IMG_2339.JPG

into what format?

try creating void/unformated/raw space or ntfs

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

Is it true that USB versions of Windows run slower? That's just what I've heard.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

15 minutes ago, RedWulf said:

into what format?

try creating void/unformated/raw space or ntfs

I've tried deleting the drives completely...so they're blank and unformatted. I've formatted ntfs and fat32   :\

But i'll try again

12 minutes ago, Trav_X said:

Is it true that USB versions of Windows run slower? That's just what I've heard.

I'm just using to boot and install...so i'm not sure how to answer your question, unless i'm missing something here... hmm.

13 minutes ago, Trav_X said:

1 minute ago, CompArt said:

I've tried deleting the drives completely...so they're blank and unformatted. I've formatted ntfs and fat32   :\

But i'll try again

fat 32 only works on 32gb or below. Try deleting the partitions/raw space with dban or UBCD or another OS. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

33 minutes ago, RedWulf said:

Does using a USB to install Windows to an SSD affect the performance of Windows when used from the SSD? Or is that just to a factor at all xD I don't know much about OS installation and stuff like that, but if I upgrade my PC soon I'll have to start a fresh Windows and I'm wondering if copying my Windows 10 install from my current would affect anything.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

1 minute ago, Trav_X said:

Does using a USB to install Windows to an SSD affect the performance of Windows when used from the SSD? Or is that just to a factor at all xD I don't know much about OS installation and stuff like that, but if I upgrade my PC soon I'll have to start a fresh Windows and I'm wondering if copying my Windows 10 install from my current would affect anything.

No, install method is irrelevant 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

1 hour ago, RedWulf said:

I tried this. I formatted as ntfs with windows 8.1 in the command prompt...after i wiped it clean. I even tried to install Windows via AHCI mode.....If the HDDs don't show up in the BIOS, does that mean there's an issue with the HDD and not the format? Because I keep getting the same error. :(

3 hours ago, RedWulf said:

15 hours ago, RedWulf said:

No, install method is irrelevant 

Oh well good :D cause I don't want to buy a new copy of Windows when I upgrade if I already have multiple versions lol :) thanks!

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

14 hours ago, CompArt said:

Shouldn't be sata comes in various speeds but the slot you put it in shouldn't matter. I believe sata is backwards compatible but if they don't show up in bios theres an issue outside of the windows install. I would try another port, aside from that I'm not sure what is causing the issue if the bios won't detect it.  

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567]