Can I crossfire a 380 and a 380x?

GeekaWhat
Go to solution Solved by Aereldor,
9 minutes ago, Spectrez said:

i believe having seen a question similar to this on the AMD forums.

and im pretty sure the answer was that it wasnt supported

You'd be incorrect. With AMD cards, you can crossfire any two cards that use the same GPU Microarchitecture. You can even crossfire a 280x and a 7970. Not only are the 380 and the 380x based on the same microarchitecture, but they're virtually identical. However, if you try and crossfire a 2GB 380 with a 4GB 380x, you'll still only have access to 2GB of VRAM- Crossfire (and even SLI, for that matter) can only use the VRAM amount of the lesser card, and VRAM doesn't stack.

I know you used to be able to crossfire very similar cards but could I crossfire a 4gb 380 and a 4gb 380x?

CPU: 6700k 4.6Ghz GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X MB: MSI Gaming M5 PSU: Evga 750 G2 Case: Phanteks EVOLV 

9 minutes ago, Spectrez said:

You'd be incorrect. With AMD cards, you can crossfire any two cards that use the same GPU Microarchitecture. You can even crossfire a 280x and a 7970. Not only are the 380 and the 380x based on the same microarchitecture, but they're virtually identical. However, if you try and crossfire a 2GB 380 with a 4GB 380x, you'll still only have access to 2GB of VRAM- Crossfire (and even SLI, for that matter) can only use the VRAM amount of the lesser card, and VRAM doesn't stack.

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

thank you for the info, i did not know this and i was still looking for the original post about it on the amd forums.

CPU: 6700k 4.6Ghz GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X MB: MSI Gaming M5 PSU: Evga 750 G2 Case: Phanteks EVOLV 

21 minutes ago, Spectrez said:

thank you for the info, i did not know this and i was still looking for the original post about it on the amd forums.

I feel like I missed a great opportunity for an April Fools gag.

nice ya im more suprised at a video i found of the Asus ROG guys doing 380x in 3 way crossfire which isnt supported so im curious how they did it cause no stuttering was present. Id save the money and run 380s or spend a little more get the 380x's 

On 4/1/2016 at 3:48 PM, CurryCalgs said:

nice ya im more suprised at a video i found of the Asus ROG guys doing 380x in 3 way crossfire which isnt supported so im curious how they did it cause no stuttering was present. Id save the money and run 380s or spend a little more get the 380x's 

Its cus I'm not actually buying them, I have been sent the 380x and been offered a 380 :D