Brazil's Wild Plan to Purge America From Its Internet

Ethnod

Ok so we know that a lot of people are pissed off at America for all the snooping and indiscriminate data collection its been doing but... a whole country? Wow, I'm impressed Brazil. Oh also note that the Brazilian President recently cancelled (or actually maybe delayed) a trip to the US due to the same issues

Source:

http://gizmodo.com/how-brazil-wants-to-purge-america-from-its-internet-aft-1333914046

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

What a stupid plan, I understand the angst everyone has towards the US, but this is not the way to go about things.

The internet is designed to connect people regardless of borders and geographical location. Whether you agree or disagree with certain companies or a nations government policy. Access to the world should not be limited, controlled, or hindered. In doing so you slow the overall advancement we have a global community.

A different solution would be to re-build the internet over the next decade as a darknet running on top of the current infrastructure.

There are no borders on the internet. Do not try to build them.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

Go home Brazil you're drunk.

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit

What a stupid plan, I understand the angst everyone has towards the US, but this is not the way to go about things.

The internet is designed to connect people regardless of borders and geographical location. Whether you agree or disagree with certain companies or a nations government policy. Access to the world should not be limited, controlled, or hindered. In doing so you slow the overall advancement we have a global community.

A different solution would be to re-build the internet over the next decade as a darknet running on top of the current infrastructure.

There are no borders on the internet. Do not try to build them.

I think you are picking it up wrong, I think that they are just creating an alternative route for traffic so that not ALL of their traffic goes through the US as it currently does. They also seem to be putting some stuff in place so that there are alternatives for Brazilians if they are concerned about the US government using companies with US offices to gain their personal data.

I think that the statements about "Disconnecting" from the "US Internet" are exaggerated and most likely just the press sensationalising stuff. From what I have read its more about allowing Brazilians an alternative way to ensure that their data is safe from prying eyes.

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

I think you are picking it up wrong, I think that they are just creating an alternative route for traffic so that not ALL of their traffic goes through the US as it currently does. They also seem to be putting some stuff in place so that there are alternatives for Brazilians if they are concerned about the US government using companies with US offices to gain their personal data.

I think that the statements about "Disconnecting" from the "US Internet" are exaggerated and most likely just the press sensationalising stuff. From what I have read its more about allowing Brazilians an alternative way to ensure that their data is safe from prying eyes.

I know and understand what they are planning. But if you re-read it you will see they want to segregate themselves entirely from the US companies and bring in branches of google, facebook, yahoo, etc to Brazil which would follow their direct policy and rules. If any were to refuse, they would likely not allow access, or the access would be at a massive latency and ping for being routed around the world. Think of it like being constantly on the TOR network with your traffic being bounced around the globe.

It really is a method of censoring and very extreme. They want to build an independent internet that does not directly or at all communicate with servers or hosts located in the US.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

I know and understand what they are planning. But if you re-read it you will see they want to segregate themselves entirely from the US companies and bring in branches of google, facebook, yahoo, etc to Brazil which would follow their direct policy and rules. If any were to refuse, they would likely not allow access, or the access would be at a massive latency and ping for being routed around the world. Think of it like being constantly on the TOR network with your traffic being bounced around the globe.

It really is a method of censoring and very extreme. They want to build an independent internet that does not directly or at all communicate with servers or hosts located in the US.

I think you are making extreme leaps tbh. Yes they want to have a route to the rest of the would that does not include the US and yes they want companies to have servers in Brazil but they are a big ass country with a large population so they would benefit their residents and this is no different to what the US have. However, at no point does any of this say that they will ban or restrict companies that do not comply not does it talk about restricting traffic or creating exclusion zones. I think you have been watching too much FOX news mate

Well done Brazil. I support any country that flips the bird at USA. No matter how small the method. Considering NSA has declared war with everyone.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Good luck on this, maybe possible for a small European country, but u can imagine Brazil being able to pull thus off,especially if the US actually cares if they do or not.

I don't understand how you would say that Brazil would not be able to accomplish this... apart from the fact that I am sure that they have their own experts that came up with the plan Brazil definitely has the money. While the country has a grossly unfair distribution of wealth and they have a lot of people struggling, they are a wealthy country who is going through a very recent oil boom and the country does and will have money to burn on infrastructure like this now and for years to come