Moving Large Files From Home to School

westonb27
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

Probably the best solution is to setup an FTP server at your home so you can transfer files directly. You'll still be limited by the upload speed of your home network (or download speed from college), but you don't actually have to upload things manually. 

Most NAS OSs have FTP features available. 

Hey LTT Forum members. I'm a college student, and I'm frequently pulling a lot of files from my other laptop that I connect to at home in Las Vegas (I'm in AZ for college). Is there any relatively quick way for me to transfer large files from my computer in Las Vegas to my desktop in AZ? Right now I have to upload to Mega.co.nz or Google Drive and then download again on my desktop here. Or I'm using Justbeamit.com. Thanks in advance

You could use a USB 3.0 drive to transfer, or get something like this http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-A3X126-03-YLW-M-3-Foot-Crossover-Yellow/dp/B00004Z591?tag=viglink20237-20 (I don't know the exact logistics of this, but it needs to be a crossover cable)

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

Probably the best solution is to setup an FTP server at your home so you can transfer files directly. You'll still be limited by the upload speed of your home network (or download speed from college), but you don't actually have to upload things manually. 

1 minute ago, zlolslavez said:

You could use a USB 3.0 drive to transfer, or get something like this http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-A3X126-03-YLW-M-3-Foot-Crossover-Yellow/dp/B00004Z591?tag=viglink20237-20 (I don't know the exact logistics of this, but it needs to be a crossover cable)

You're going to need a very long crossover cable to go from Las Vegas to AZ. 

VPN and an NAS or file sharing

FTP as suggested above

Personally I say VPN

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

1 hour ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Thanks. I'll look into setting up an FTP server. BTW Shinobu is best girl ;D

Syncthing would let you copy files between two devices relatively easily and automatically. Alternatively you could also set up a vpn server on your router which you'd then use to securely connect to your home network and copy files over that connection. I'd recommend security over convenience any day and both of the solutions I proposed seem to be fairly secure.