Water Cooling! Assist a n00b

I just recently built my first PC (about a month ago) and I love it. (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wfzVhM) I went with air cooling because water cooling seemed like a bit much for a new builder like myself. I want to upgrade to having my system water cooled eventually, and it is better to know sooner than later. I don't know much about different coolers, I just want a standard water cooling unit and that's about it. I think this one is good, https://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-cpu-cooler-cw9060024ww, but what do I know. My budget is around $100, going a little over is fine.

If anyone could help me out on finding a good cooler that would be much appreciated! <3

2 minutes ago, Wensi said:

I just recently built my first PC (about a month ago) and I love it. (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wfzVhM) I went with air cooling because water cooling seemed like a bit much for a new builder like myself. I want to upgrade to having my system water cooled eventually, and it is better to know sooner than later. I don't know much about different coolers, I just want a standard water cooling unit and that's about it. I think this one is good, https://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-cpu-cooler-cw9060024ww, but what do I know. My budget is around $100, going a little over is fine.

If anyone could help me out on finding a good cooler that would be much appreciated! <3

A 120mm AIO is not bad but in general if your wanting to do overclocking and get good temps a dual 120mm rad like the H100i GTX would be a better option. 

An AIO will get you watercooled, but if you're wanting to start getting into custom watercooling, one of the Swiftech units may suit your needs better; as they can be added to/expanded to include other rads, GPU blocks, etc.

http://www.swiftech.com/H140-X.aspx

That's on sale for $99.99 right now.

I've used Corsair's WC units a few times, had very little issue.  I've replaced some of the fans on the systems with quieter fans for specific reasons, but all in all, they are good units.

In regards to the above post about the dual 120mm RAD, it depends on how your case is configured.  Looking at the design, it supports a dual 120 in the front of the case, but not the top.  If you have your HDD's installed in the front, you won't be able to install the full dual radiator.

Mounting it on the top with the fan blowing into the rad from inside would probably give you the best overall performance.

On 3/31/2016 at 5:08 PM, Evanair said:

I've used Corsair's WC units a few times, had very little issue.  I've replaced some of the fans on the systems with quieter fans for specific reasons, but all in all, they are good units.

In regards to the above post about the dual 120mm RAD, it depends on how your case is configured.  Looking at the design, it supports a dual 120 in the front of the case, but not the top.  If you have your HDD's installed in the front, you won't be able to install the full dual radiator.

Mounting it on the top with the fan blowing into the rad from inside would probably give you the best overall performance.

My case can only fit one 120mm fan on the top, I don't think I can mount a radiator on it. I can mount a radiator on the side, as that supports two 120mm fans, not sure if that is best for performance though. ughh im confused

I looked up your case. The website shows multiple mounting locations.

What I would recommend is questioning why you want to go water cooling. There any many other avenues, such a good air cooling, that would be a good investment as well as a good learning experience for putting a system together. Learning how to manage airflow is arguably more important than knowing how to install a water cooling unit. Unless you're over clocking or running long high stress programs, you really don't need a radiator to pull away heat.

Yes, the Corsair 120mm 80i would probably do exactly what you're asking. But in truth, it's a WANT not a need. You're better off inventing in good fans and some cable ties to manage your case rather then throw a pump in it.

45 minutes ago, Evanair said:

I looked up your case. The website shows multiple mounting locations.

What I would recommend is questioning why you want to go water cooling. There any many other avenues, such a good air cooling, that would be a good investment as well as a good learning experience for putting a system together. Learning how to manage airflow is arguably more important than knowing how to install a water cooling unit. Unless you're over clocking or running long high stress programs, you really don't need a radiator to pull away heat.

Yes, the Corsair 120mm 80i would probably do exactly what you're asking. But in truth, it's a WANT not a need. You're better off inventing in good fans and some cable ties to manage your case rather then throw a pump in it.

I do have no idea how to manage my airflow, I will look into that.

Yes, the water cooling is more of a want that a need. The thing is that I already have everything I need for what I'm doing with my computer, water cooling looks amazing and cools the CPU very well. I do want water cooling more than I need it.

I dont see a point in buying all-in-one water coolers except for the very best because the Noctue nd-d15 comes pretty close to most of them. Have you thought about to delid your cpu and put liquid metal in? It Should reduce the temps ~15°C but it has risks.

4 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

I dont see a point in buying all-in-one water coolers except for the very best because the Noctue nd-d15 comes pretty close to most of them. Have you thought about to delid your cpu and put liquid metal in? It Should reduce the temps ~15°C but it has risks.

because the Noctua NH-D14/15/15s will not fit the case in their PP list.

Whatever you do, don't delid your CPU. It's almost worthless in terms of heat (watch the video on it) and it's also very advanced and voids all warranties.

There are a lot better things you could do...

you should start off by investing in an overclocking mobo. correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't overclock on a h97 chipset and you have an unlocked processor. seems like a waste.

On 4/3/2016 at 1:26 AM, Evanair said:

Whatever you do, don't delid your CPU. It's almost worthless in terms of heat (watch the video on it) and it's also very advanced and voids all warranties.

There are a lot better things you could do...

sometime you have to delid to get the thermals correct from improper TIM application or uneven sealing of the IHS.

i have RMA'd delided CPUs to Intel with no issues. as long as the IHS is intact, no foul. if one FUBARs the delid , then that is on the end-users dime not Intel's.

i have delidded a poor thermal chip and it turned out to be a golden chip, so there are reasons to move forward in delidding, novices need not apply.

The linus video on delidding wasn't exactly great considering that he didn't even use CLU on between the die and IHS, which is nearly universally recommended after delidding.

Plus, if you're not sure you can do it right, you can always end it out to Silicon Lottery, and they'll do it for $50.

Build Log - Liquid Black Fury

On 4/4/2016 at 4:15 PM, Mastafu said:

you should start off by investing in an overclocking mobo. correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't overclock on a h97 chipset and you have an unlocked processor. seems like a waste.

Yeah, I am saving up to get water cooling and an overclockable mobo. I didn't know that you couldn't overclock on mine until after I built it... the life of a noob.