what studies

ilyas001

hi guys need you help here well i'm doing studies in computer science field and well i don't know it's not that i don't like it but i'm divided in if i wanna study hardware or software so my question is simple can i self teach myself about electronics and hardware like really teaching my self ? for information i live in north africa so i never had a geek community accepte my own self so this is the probleme i didn't see much in my life computer science is huge and that now i'm in college i only started learning how things are really are i tought i would just do computer science and that's it but no it wasn't at all like a was seing it there are so many chooses fields that i'm totally lost now a really need your help guys how can i choose what to do can i self tought my self and even if i do it will i find a work without a degree in the field even if i have a degree owner skills ? 

2 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

Hardwear is pretty easy to learn about

but very uncomfortable. 

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

7 minutes ago, ilyas001 said:

cummunity

uh......

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

9 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

Hardwear is pretty easy to learn about

Electrical engineering is faaaaar from easy. Trust me.

9 hours ago, Stardar1 said:

but very uncomfortable. 

made my day hhhh 

1 minute ago, ilyas001 said:

made my day hhhh 

I though it was the sun that did that.

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

9 hours ago, Abyssal Radon said:

Computer Engineer? That's one way of going about it, for learning about hardware. I'm currently studying Mechanical Engineering and Mathematics at the University of Colorado Denver. So basically I get to use the software on computers hahahahahha. 

well when you are in the field can you tell me how is it ? can  i learn it on my own if so what books should i read ? 

Well if you can wait for a few more years. I'm shooting for a Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering and a Bachelors in Science in Mathematics. I would recommend just going to school. Go to a University, and get EDUCATED... best thing ever! 

well i'm already in college like i said and in our african colleges it's harder for us and i don't need to get to the details anyway we all learn on our own if you get educated or not . wish you good luck and all the best in your studies 

So what I recommend you should do is go online and look around for books (i.e. Amazon) that covers the various disciplines in Engineering and that completely varies from sub-field to sub-field. Like in Mechanical we do lots of things involving, design, mathematics, simulations, a fuck load of physics (so you can solve/design something that works lol), thermal (fluids and dynamics), I don't have access to my classes that I need to still take to give you more specific information. Also, programs varies from Universities which can determine which can differ which classes are required for the degree. One question, are you good at math?   

well i'm good at it when i try because we don't get along at all lol when i try i can understand fast and have a 15 or more but i do this only after having a 5 or less so i have no more chose but yeah i have a good resoning 

Well good luck. Just make sure you pick up some mad skills in Math. 

well alright and another question if i educate my self and let's say i have a good level then what will i be able to have a pecial programe in a university to complet my studies or i just can start working somewhere ? 

Go get a degree. In this day and age you need a degree to get a proper job. Go find a University to attend to, a reputable school the better. 

well i mean i will finish my computer sciece degree and at the same time learn about hardware i'm not leaving college 

2 hours ago, ilyas001 said:

well when you are in the field can you tell me how is it ? can  i learn it on my own if so what books should i read ? 

Im in my last year of Computer & Electronic Eng so I guess I might be able to give you some answers. But every uni does different things for their course, so what I can tell you of mine may not be transfereable to yours.

9 hours ago, KE2012 said:

Im in my last year of Computer & Electronic Eng so I guess I might be able to give you some answers. But every uni does different things for their course, so what I can tell you of mine may not be transfereable to yours.

well the objectivs of every uni is to get the full potentiel of each studiant to do the same work at the end no mater what uni you came from so i think it's gonna work well give me you advices pls 

Just now, ilyas001 said:

well the objectivs of every uni is to get the full potentiel of each studiant to do the same work at the end no mater what uni you came from so i think it's gonna work well give me you advices pls 

I don't know what you want me to tell you so I'll just say some things and you can tell me if it is what you want to hear. 

If you enjoy having physical results of your hard work, e.g programming for a while then having a board in your hands which does what you told it, and don't want alot of what you do restricted to comptuer software, then hardware is the way for you. But chosing a hardware course like Computer and Electronic engineering isn't just programming, you need to learn how circuits work, and how your software effects hardware.

Soem advice I would give some one about to undertake a hardware course like my own is this.

Do some basic programming pre uni to get a grasp of how some different languages work, I had to use C, Java, and VHDL, over my degree and if I had a bit of back ground work this would have helped wonders for my course.

Learn your logic gates (OR, AND, XOR,ect), these will come up time and time again, some basic circuit theory will also be helpful going in. 

for the above to points It could be a good idea for you prior to the corse to get something like a PIC Starter kit (Look up PICKIT3 low pin starter kit) and play around.

Get your maths up to date, if you need X level of maths before your degree make sure you know that maths. 

Get a easily portable and long life battery laptop, doesnt have to be the best, just something that can get you through the day and do some semi-intesive tasks, this for me has been unbelieveably useful throughout my few years at uni.

I don't know what you want me to tell you so I'll just say some things and you can tell me if it is what you want to hear. 

If you enjoy having physical results of your hard work, e.g programming for a while then having a board in your hands which does what you told it, and don't want alot of what you do restricted to comptuer software, then hardware is the way for you. But chosing a hardware course like Computer and Electronic engineering isn't just programming, you need to learn how circuits work, and how your software effects hardware.

Soem advice I would give some one about to undertake a hardware course like my own is this.

Do some basic programming pre uni to get a grasp of how some different languages work, I had to use C, Java, and VHDL, over my degree and if I had a bit of back ground work this would have helped wonders for my course.

Learn your logic gates (OR, AND, XOR,ect), these will come up time and time again, some basic circuit theory will also be helpful going in. 

for the above to points It could be a good idea for you prior to the corse to get something like a PIC Starter kit (Look up PICKIT3 low pin starter kit) and play around.

Get your maths up to date, if you need X level of maths before your degree make sure you know that maths. 

Get a easily portable and long life battery laptop, doesnt have to be the best, just something that can get you through the day and do some semi-intesive tasks, this for me has been unbelieveably useful throughout my few years at uni.

well thanks for the help well first do you really like what you doing i mean i love computer science but sometimes i have probleme to chose like i said i can't decicde what i really want didn't you ever had this thinking when you had to choose ? second well we started a study of how circuits works we started with the gates and stuff well i need to know one thing for sure and most important why are you styding this i mean what can you do after your out with your degree what are all the possibilities ? i will stop here for now 

11 minutes ago, ilyas001 said:

well thanks for the help well first do you really like what you doing i mean i love computer science but sometimes i have probleme to chose like i said i can't decicde what i really want didn't you ever had this thinking when you had to choose ? second well we started a study of how circuits works we started with the gates and stuff well i need to know one thing for sure and most important why are you styding this i mean what can you do after your out with your degree what are all the possibilities ? i will stop here for now 

Why did I do Electronic and Comp Engineering? I love messing around with and building electronic circuits and the corse I enrolled on allowed me to do that, and take it further than I could at home with thanks to the uni facilities , was it an easy choice for me? Yeah.

What can I do with my degree? A lot, how I and others I know who have already got their degree see it as is like this, a degree in Electronic Engineering is basically a certificate saying 'I'm comptetent', as often if you apply to a company who needs someone with a little bit of a back ground in Electrical / Electronic eng they will take you in and then train you again to what they need. So there are alot of jobs going, and it would be impossible for me to say I'll be doing this when I get a job.

Why did I do Electronic and Comp Engineering? I love messing around with and building electronic circuits and the corse I enrolled on allowed me to do that, and take it further than I could at home with thanks to the uni facilities , was it an easy choice for me? Yeah.

What can I do with my degree? A lot, how I and others I know who have already got their degree see it as is like this, a degree in Electronic Engineering is basically a certificate saying 'I'm comptetent', as often if you apply to a company who needs someone with a little bit of a back ground in Electrical / Electronic eng they will take you in and then train you again to what they need. So there are alot of jobs going, and it would be impossible for me to say I'll be doing this when I get a job.

thanks alot for the serious answers well i love using my hands i try programming i was good at it compared to the rest of my classe but well i didn't know if a really like or force my self to because i always tought i was anyway i never get tired using my hands and trying to solve problemes in my pc i love it so much another question i'm in north africa  in my study of cumputer science i have some teaching in electronic field nothing serious but i was asking myself when i get a bachelor degree can i apply in a university in the US or UK for electronics and how much is it gonna cost me ? 

30 minutes ago, ilyas001 said:

thanks alot for the serious answers well i love using my hands i try programming i was good at it compared to the rest of my classe but well i didn't know if a really like or force my self to because i always tought i was anyway i never get tired using my hands and trying to solve problemes in my pc i love it so much another question i'm in north africa  in my study of cumputer science i have some teaching in electronic field nothing serious but i was asking myself when i get a bachelor degree can i apply in a university in the US or UK for electronics and how much is it gonna cost me ? 

You could apply to the UK (not sure about America )  but expect  big big fees.  I belive some Chinese people in my year are paying £30,000 per year so I'd imagine it would be something around that for yourself if you don't get a scholarship.  

You could apply to the UK (not sure about America )  but expect  big big fees.  I belive some Chinese people in my year are paying £30,000 per year so I'd imagine it would be something around that for yourself if you don't get a scholarship.  

and what are the conditions i mean what do i need to subscribe there and most important can i work and study at the same time ? 

3 hours ago, ilyas001 said:

and what are the conditions i mean what do i need to subscribe there and most important can i work and study at the same time ? 

Conditions will depend on uni to uni and person to person.  You will need to check the uni page for a rough estimate though. 

Also yeah,  you can work while studying I just wouldn't recommend full time work.  

On 31/3/2016 at 4:54 PM, KE2012 said:

wemm thanks for the help mate that was amazing from you but another question is it difficulte ? i mean too in my contry you go in a good university it's free but you nedd great marks so if i pay i don't need a great cv yo get accepted ? how did you get in ? 

19 hours ago, ilyas001 said:

wemm thanks for the help mate that was amazing from you but another question is it difficulte ? i mean too in my contry you go in a good university it's free but you nedd great marks so if i pay i don't need a great cv yo get accepted ? how did you get in ? 

Yeah haha it's not an easy course,  requires lots and lots of work,  and it is VERY competitive for places in UK uni's so you will need an incredibly good letter asking for a place along with great marks to get them interested and then you are likely required to go to an interview before you know if you will be offered a spot.