i am building a custom laptop

are there any motherboards that have sideways ram slots? i dont want to have upward ram slots because the this laptop would be huge. OR if you have other solutions please let me know.

2 minutes ago, thatguyyouknow75 said:

Yeah, the kind that come in laptops

know any names? 

you can buy laptop motherboards that are somewhat upgrade but i dont believe any desktop motherboard manufactures make that kind of ram slots. You will also need laptop ram 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Just now, Maybach123 said:

you can buy laptop motherboards that are somewhat upgrade but i dont believe any desktop motherboard manufactures make that kind of ram slots. You will also need laptop ram 

whats the difference between laptop ram and desktop ram

Satisfy my curiosity, a custom build laptop?  that stuff is usually too proprietary  to  build.  even if you could find the motherboard   more than likely  it wont fit into  another chassis. 

6 minutes ago, Toxicknight79 said:

Satisfy my curiosity, a custom build laptop?  that stuff is usually too proprietary  to  build.  even if you could find the motherboard   more than likely  it wont fit into  another chassis. 

im just having a bit of fun. im curious if it will even work.

Just now, Legolessed said:

im just having a bit of fun. im curious if it will even work.

who am I to question ones fun, I digress though.  be interesting if you make something work,  keep us posted. 

18 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

whats the difference between laptop ram and desktop ram

Usually dimensions and latency 

9 minutes ago, Toxicknight79 said:

who am I to question ones fun, I digress though.  be interesting if you make something work,  keep us posted. 

i will :) 

1 minute ago, thatguyyouknow75 said:

Usually dimensions and latency 

could i just put some ddr3 ram in? this is a custom laptop so i get to decide the motherboard

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600x | GPU GIGABYTE GTX 1070ti WINDFORCE | MOBO ASUS Prime X570-P | MEMORY XPG Spectrix 2x8GB 3200MHz  | PSU OCZ Zx 850W | CASE NZXT H440

Just now, Legolessed said:

where are the ram and cpu slots?

They may be on the back if you can't see them in the picture, as these are OEM boards so its easier for the consumer to upgrade.

But in most of the pictures you can see them.

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600x | GPU GIGABYTE GTX 1070ti WINDFORCE | MOBO ASUS Prime X570-P | MEMORY XPG Spectrix 2x8GB 3200MHz  | PSU OCZ Zx 850W | CASE NZXT H440

6 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

could i just put some ddr3 ram in? this is a custom laptop so i get to decide the motherboard

Ddr3 is just the generation. There's laptop compatible and desktop compatible, one runs at a much lower speed and is smaller in order to stay properly cool in laptops. I suggest you do some research before attempting this as it will be very costly, leaving a small margin for error. How to you plan to power it? 

Just now, thatguyyouknow75 said:

Ddr3 is just the generation. There's laptop compatible and desktop compatible, one runs at a much lower speed and is smaller in order to stay properly cool in laptops. I suggest you do some research before attempting this as it will be very costly, leaving a small margin for error. How to you plan to power it? 

power the ram or the laptop?

Just a heads up, you are going to need SODIMM ram for them to even fit in the motherboards, and for OEM boards you might have to consult to manual to see what types work.

1 minute ago, C1intFunWood said:

Just a heads up, you are going to need SODIMM ram for them to even fit in the motherboards, and for OEM boards you might have to consult to manual to see what types work.

ok. thanks

1 hour ago, Legolessed said:

are there any motherboards that have sideways ram slots? i dont want to have upward ram slots because the this laptop would be huge. OR if you have other solutions please let me know.

You could use a RPi 3, and it would be easy to make it battery powered, and it has built in wifi, and is super cheap and tiny, and people have turned a RPi into a laptops before there are several guides out there.

But it does depend on what performance you want out of the laptop, personnay I would suggest taking laptop parts and custom making a case for them since you can use the proprietary battery to power it.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

41 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

You could use a RPi 3, and it would be easy to make it battery powered, and it has built in wifi, and is super cheap and tiny, and people have turned a RPi into a laptops before there are several guides out there.

But it does depend on what performance you want out of the laptop, personnay I would suggest taking laptop parts and custom making a case for them since you can use the proprietary battery to power it.

Ok. I have sent up flyers all over my neighborhood saying i will take old pc's that you dont want anymore so hopefully ill have a few options for cases. Thanks for the advice.

1 hour ago, Legolessed said:

power the ram or the laptop?

The laptop, you have to have a battery of some sort and power delivery, certain components run on 5 volts, others on 12, even possibly some on 2v. How do you plan to do that? 

Just now, thatguyyouknow75 said:

The laptop, you have to have a battery of some sort and power delivery, certain components run on 5 volts, others on 12, even possibly some on 2v. How do you plan to do that? 

idk. im still planning. you have any idea?