Two Part Question

ddbtkd456

First off I would like to know if the plantium PSUs are worth getting. I plan on getting either a G2 or P2 and was wondering just how much better the plantium is and if I'll notice any difference between the two.

My second question is I plan on getting the custom braided cables cause they look so much better. My question with this is are evgas better or are cablemod ones better? I noticed there only a $10 difference.

Thanks.

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

2 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Depends, i would if your parts take alot of wattage

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($348.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($138.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM EDITION ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($273.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($282.59 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($84.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Toshiba X300 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($124.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB HYBRID Video Card  ($689.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Phantom 820 (White) ATX Full Tower Case  ($187.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($48.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  (Purchased For $86.86)
Monitor: Asus MG279Q 144Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($559.99 @ Micro Center)
Other:  Rosewill 90 Piece Professional Computer Tool Kit Components Other RTK-090 Black  ($38.01)
Other:  Microsoft Xbox 360 Wired Controller for Windows & Xbox 360 Console  ($27.99)
Other: Ajazz The Dark Knight USB Gaming Keyboard Mouse Pad Combo Set & 7 LED Colors 2400DPI 6 Buttons USB Gaming Mouse (Purchased For $68.99)
Other: ORICO HF9US-2P-BK 9 Port USB Hubs & 2 Charging Port with Power Switch and Premium 12V 2.5A Power Adapter – Black (Purchased For $15.99)
Other: Coboc CY-CAT7-20- Black  20 ft. 26AWG Snagless Cat 7 Black Color 600MHz SSTP(PIMF) Shielded Ethernet Stranded Copper Patch cord /Molded Network LAN Cable (Purchased For $8.09)
Total: $3267.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-30 16:23 EDT-0400

Sitting at 505 watts according to PPP.

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

3 minutes ago, ddbtkd456 said:

First off I would like to know if the plantium PSUs are worth getting. I plan on getting either a G2 or P2 and was wondering just how much better the plantium is and if I'll notice any difference between the two.

My second question is I plan on getting the custom braided cables cause they look so much better. My question with this is are evgas better or are cablemod ones better? I noticed there only a $10 difference.

Thanks.

In my opinion if you can afford platinum grab it, it will save you power in the long run.  As for the cables, I would ask people that have used them, I have had some extensions in the past and they haven't been what I expected quality wise

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

5 minutes ago, ddbtkd456 said:

Thanks.

The difference is only in the efficiency of the PSUs, the Platinum is slightly more efficient. However, you would basically have to run your PC full-bore non stop for several years before noticing any difference in electricity saved, and even then the savings won't be much. Get whichever is cheaper.

You can't go wrong with either EVGA or CableMod.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

The evga cables should be fine unless you want the expanded color options that CableMod offers. 

ASU

3 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

In my opinion if you can afford platinum grab it, it will save you power in the long run.  As for the cables, I would ask people that have used them, I have had some extensions in the past and they haven't been what I expected quality wise

Cool I was thinking of sli-ing that GPU down the road, so I might have to go with the p2.

3 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

The difference is only in the efficiency of the PSUs, the Platinum is slightly more efficient. However, you would basically have to run your PC full-bore non stop for several years before noticing any difference in electricity saved, and even then the savings won't be much. Get whichever is cheaper.

You can't go wrong with either EVGA or CableMod.

I think I like the idea of being expensive :P

3 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

The evga cables should be fine unless you want the expanded color options that CableMod offers. 

No not exactly I was just going to go with a typical black, I've heard some people say they the evga cables aren't up to par with the cable mod ones which is why I was asking. I don't mind spending $10 dollars if they are better quality tho.

3 hours ago, ddbtkd456 said:

Thanks.

Cablemod cables for the "2 series PSUs should all work together bar perhaps the B2. And I would not personally spend more money on a platinum rated unit unless you run your system under heavy load for long periods of time quite often.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

18 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Cablemod cables for the "2 series PSUs should all work together bar perhaps the B2. And I would not personally spend more money on a platinum rated unit unless you run your system under heavy load for long periods of time quite often.

Well its going to be one pretty much 24/7 unless I instruct it to shut off. I'm not entirely sure if that is affected in the equation at all, nor about the cleaner energy. Is that worth something to consider as well?

I love my cable mod cables. Quality and construction is great. I have literally nothing to complain about when it comes to them. Just make sure you order the kit that is compatible with your power supply. If I had to do it again I would order without hesitation. 

浪速の建てるは静か用に建てました!- Build Log Coming Soon!

2 hours ago, ddbtkd456 said:

Well its going to be one pretty much 24/7 unless I instruct it to shut off. I'm not entirely sure if that is affected in the equation at all, nor about the cleaner energy. Is that worth something to consider as well?

Well it depends on the heft of the load you're doing 24/7. Why not just put it asleep if it's sitting there doing nothing anyways?

If you have your computer rendering animations or something along those lines while you go off to school/work while you're gone then a platinum efficient unit might save you a few bucks here and there on your power bill but, to be honest, most home users are better off just saving the money now and buying a gold-rated unit.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

You won't notice any difference between a G2 and a P2, the G2 850 is one of the best rated PSUs on the market and far exceeds it's Gold rating. I also doubt you'd notice a difference in quality between EVGA and Cablemod custom sleeved cables, I'd make that decision based on which cables are longer (if there is a difference) or lower price. Some Cablemod retailers offer a free set of cable combs with a set of cables so consider that in your purchase decision.

3 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Well it depends on the heft of the load you're doing 24/7. Why not just put it asleep if it's sitting there doing nothing anyways?

If you have your computer rendering animations or something along those lines while you go off to school/work while you're gone then a platinum efficient unit might save you a few bucks here and there on your power bill but, to be honest, most home users are better off just saving the money now and buying a gold-rated unit.

This is true and it would be be asleep when it's on ideal. As for actually shutting it down I'm not to keen on that only cause I'm very impatient about boot times. Hmm how much of a load do you think doing all those things at once would be on the psu anyways?

2 hours ago, TheKleen said:

You won't notice any difference between a G2 and a P2, the G2 850 is one of the best rated PSUs on the market and far exceeds it's Gold rating. I also doubt you'd notice a difference in quality between EVGA and Cablemod custom sleeved cables, I'd make that decision based on which cables are longer (if there is a difference) or lower price. Some Cablemod retailers offer a free set of cable combs with a set of cables so consider that in your purchase decision.

Thanks, however you basically confirmed what I've already researched I was looking for something along the lines of the answer above me, I know both psu's completely by heart on paper and also know that cable do comes with free combs via performance pcs I believe that's the website, and yes I've read a variety of sources that say that cable of cables are better then evga's.

6 hours ago, Papakuma said:

I love my cable mod cables. Quality and construction is great. I have literally nothing to complain about when it comes to them. Just make sure you order the kit that is compatible with your power supply. If I had to do it again I would order without hesitation. 

Thank you. ?

10 hours ago, ddbtkd456 said:

This is true and it would be be asleep when it's on ideal. As for actually shutting it down I'm not to keen on that only cause I'm very impatient about boot times. Hmm how much of a load do you think doing all those things at once would be on the psu anyways?

Thanks, however you basically confirmed what I've already researched I was looking for something along the lines of the answer above me, I know both psu's completely by heart on paper and also know that cable do comes with free combs via performance pcs I believe that's the website, and yes I've read a variety of sources that say that cable of cables are better then evga's.

Booting from shutdown should take less than 15 seconds with the hardware you have so have no worries about that. The hardware you have, with a bit of overclocking, will probably hit around 350-400W under load with the CPU and GPU running AIDA64 (unrealistic test of load of course but it can stress your system to make sure you have all that wattage headroom).