I got a funny question to ask - Who here still uses a Linksys WRT54G Router? As an access point with DD-WRT?

So, does anybody still use the old WRT54G router? Specifically, with DD-WRT firmware; and/or used as an access point?

Just wondering, I know that this hardware is over 10 years old now and supports older wifi signals (I do know that it *can* support 2.4 Ghz).. Just wondering, thought I would pick one up and have a little fun with it for kicks. Hell, who knows if it will work nicely in 2.4Ghz for ONE room lol

lol. I'm thinking most households with cable modems put out faster speeds than 54Mbps, so therefore it's not so bad when you're on a budget and using "higher end" gear like an Iphone 6s or AppleTv which handle Wifi 802.11 b/g. 

I just bought one to fool around with DD-WRT settings, put big antennas on it and use as a toy lol.

Anybody else?

It won't matter how good your antennae are. In theory 54g is actually 27Mbps Up, 27Mbps Down and slower for bi-directional transfers. It's not 54Mbps down as many assume it is. And that's a theoretical number, in reality you'll probably get half of that again. So we're talking maybe ~15Mbps or so even with a good setup from 54g. It's the same deal with higher spec more modern WiFi but obviously their numbers are bigger. For example AC1900? You can probably push about 550Mbps or so on the 5Ghz band

It's really not worth using 54g these days. N150 doubles the speed, N300 triples it and AC is a good 10-30x faster.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

I used one as an AP until a few years ago, its really hard to beat the range and reliability of them. Our IT guy was still using one as his primary router at home until about a month ago when he finally upgraded to a Ubiquiti ER-X and UAP-AC. There wasn't even anything wrong with the 54G, he just wanted to play with the Ubiquiti stuffs.

They were great as you would get a rock solid 20-30 mbps connection just about anywhere in a house which is plenty for most people.

That's true - it doesn't have the greatest speed and that makes sense - it's probably advertised 54Mbps but really it's a combination of download/upload speeds. 

However, funny thing is that whether it's 10-20 Mbps, 5 Mbps is usually required for HD streaming for say Netflix - that to me, is sufficient for a "grandpa" router lol

I have one in my closet, hasn't been plugged in in years. I just use my cable companies modem/router now.