Any Young PC Builders?

Most of the kids I know are console peasants and have no idea what a motherboard is. This one kid thought that since the school computer have the i5 stickers the school computers are better than my i3 4170/GTX 950. Meanwhile those computer are from 2007. I want to know what kind of rigs the 17 and under group has and did they build it themselves.

as per the Community Standards

Community Standards

• Privacy
    • In the interests of personal safety we do not permit the posting of personal information other than your own. This includes usernames, email addresses etc.
    • We highly discourage the posting of and will actively remove any personal information of persons under the age of 16

•  
Edited by airdeano
Privacy Information

Very few people knows about computers. They have consoles, not because they are "peasants", but because it has the games they like to play, and the system is a box, that plays them, and easy to use, and get started, which is what they want/care the most about over anything.

My family is clueless on computers and use just laptops or macbook.

I have been building since I was 11

• CPU
    i7-6850k
  • Motherboard
    MSI X99A Sli Plus
  • RAM
    32GB Crucial Ballistix LP      DDR4-2400
  • GPU                                            MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8Gb
  • Case
    Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB
  • Storage
    Samsung 250GB 850 pro,        WD Black 1TB, WD blue 3TB
  • PSU
    Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w
  • Display(s)
    Asus vg248qe, Asus vg245h
  • Cooling
    Swiftech H220-x
  • Keyboard
    Logitech g910
  • Mouse
    Logitech g502
  • Sound
    Áudio Technica ATH-M50x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
  • PCPartPicker URL

i built my personal rig (signature) when i was 14 years old (about 1 year ago, built it in february) :)

built my dad's work pc about half a year ago

built my mom's work pc about a month or two ago

currently in the process of upgrading a 1u server to a desktop case so it's quieter :)

ah the clueless people....

my mother belives that in order to have a "fast" PC, you need a powerful CPU, and the reality is that you need an SSD for the system to feel fast.

i have an A-10 7850K, which is a relatively weak CPU, but since i have an SSD, my mom likes to use my PC because its "fast"

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

I've built 3 systems so far after coming from a MacBook Pro I had for 6 years.

My personal rig, frostbyte (check sig), was a massive learning experience for me. I liked it so much, I built another PC to use as a NAS and secondary gaming rig (check my sig for dank mememachines). The third rig is for resale to a friend. 

I liked it so much that I'm studying to take the ComTIA+ exams to become certified.

There are about 3 people in my grade (9th) that care about PCs. Most of my school have MacBooks and iPhones and seem to think that they are superior to computers running Windows.

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

Just now, the jolly roger said:

ah the clueless people....

my mother belives that in order to have a "fast" PC, you need a powerful CPU, and the reality is that you need an SSD for the system to feel fast.

i have an A-10 7850K, which is a relatively weak CPU, but since i have an SSD, my mom likes to use my PC because its "fast"

my mom believes in: if my son says its fast and it isn't laggy when i use it, it's fast :)

14 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

I've built 3 systems so far after coming from a MacBook Pro I had for 6 years.

My personal rig, frostbyte (check sig), was a massive learning experience for me. I liked it so much, I built another PC to use as a NAS and secondary gaming rig (check my sig for dank mememachines). The third rig is for resale to a friend. 

I liked it so much that I'm studying to take the ComTIA+ exams to become certified.

There are about 3 people in my grade (9th) that care about PCs. Most of my school have MacBooks and iPhones and seem to think that they are superior to computers running Windows.

nice :D

Btw: do you also like OSX as much as windows for certain things like programming and general use? because most people on this forum don't like them :)

I've been building pcs for 2 Years And have made 5 pcs 

• CPU
    i7-6850k
  • Motherboard
    MSI X99A Sli Plus
  • RAM
    32GB Crucial Ballistix LP      DDR4-2400
  • GPU                                            MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8Gb
  • Case
    Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB
  • Storage
    Samsung 250GB 850 pro,        WD Black 1TB, WD blue 3TB
  • PSU
    Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w
  • Display(s)
    Asus vg248qe, Asus vg245h
  • Cooling
    Swiftech H220-x
  • Keyboard
    Logitech g910
  • Mouse
    Logitech g502
  • Sound
    Áudio Technica ATH-M50x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
  • PCPartPicker URL

Just now, mikat said:

Btw: do you also like OSX as much as windows for certain things like programming and general use? because most people on this forum don't like them :)

I like OSX. It's a well laid out, easy to use OS for people who don't care about full control or using their pc to it's full potential. After I got into PC gaming, the lack of games on OSX pushed me to windows, coupled with the horrible gaming specs of the mac. If you don't care about upgrading your PC beyond basic things, and want an easy to use, clean OS, then a mac is for you.

rip you wallet though

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Polaroid Spectra System

16 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Very few people knows about computers. They have consoles, not because they are "peasants", but because it has the games they like to play, and the system is a box, that plays them, and easy to use, and get started, which is what they want/care the most about over anything.

and all that will change when consoles start releasing their upgraded/upgradable versions like this PS4.5 and Xbox update nonsense! >.<

back on topic...When I was young I was interested in computers but pricing and other limitations stopped me from getting into it until I had a full time job years later. So I was "forced" to use consoles. I think that applies to others as well...

But the majority don't know anything about computers besides how to use them :P 

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

I just put together my rig on my birthday. My dad is very acquainted with computers, so it has kind of run in the family. Most kids my age at my school simply bought consoles to "plug and play" with COD or BF4. I know a couple of PC gamers, but few of them could tell me the difference between a stick of ram an a graphics card.

5 minutes ago, Magikarpdrowned said:

I just put together my rig on my birthday. My dad is very acquainted with computers, so it has kind of run in the family. Most kids my age at my school simply bought consoles to "plug and play" with COD or BF4. I know a couple of PC gamers, but few of them could tell me the difference between a stick of ram an a graphics card.

I built the rig in my signature when i was 15 . Am 16 now.

But now tech is all my life.....

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

well my father has old computer parts that i put together and everyday i go to the shop i see what i could do with it,

Htpc one day,

dedicated stream box,

nas (that did not work)

and i am also building a new rig (sig)

some of us kids on the interwebs are the nerds, not the ones who play consoles and nothing else.

(12 year olds on the internet)

Just now, mikat said:

I was talking with a kid once about my build (this kid was very proud of his technical "prowess") I mentioned I had a quad core, and he turns around, looks at me with a completely straight face, and says "Well, you must have an NVidia CPU. You should have gone Toshiba."

He also bragged to kids about how he was going to jailbreak the school website.

Just now, Magikarpdrowned said:

Well, you must have an NVidia CPU. You should have gone Toshiba.

nah m80

everybody knows that corsair's cpus are the best

Polaroid Spectra System

I built my Gaming PC when I was 14 and I built my brothers PC for Christmas. I have an 860K (Overclocked to 4.2Ghz), 12GB of RAM, R7 360 XFX and an extremely Ghetto case which I've been editing and modding since last year too. 

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

38 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Yes, they aren't peasents, but most of them are part of the unthinking majority.
Just buy what everyone else has and not think about what they want or need.

Anyway, back to topic. I'm 21 now, but I was interested in PCs since my dad bought his first Pentium machine back in 2003? - I think it was 2003. Since then I always had my own PCs and I still have my first gaming graphics card - a ATi X1600 - sitting on a shelf, but I never build a PC myself until I was 18. I was a little scared to build one, because I thought I would mess things up and waste a ton of money, so I bought only pre-build PCs.

You can see the specs of my current PC in my signature if you're interested (Click on "Senzelian's Weapon") This week I'll also get a new i7-6700K and 16GB of 2800Mhz DDR4 Dominator Platinums. :)

I built my PC in February 2015 when I was 14, I'd been saving up for it since my birthday in October the previous year. It cost £1350 at the time, almost $2000.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

My i5 system has a 2500k that was built using spare parts from other peoples rigs.

My i3 system is marginally less powerful when both are at stock speeds. The i5 has a 900MHz overclock which helps in games. The i3 is still better in single-threaded tasks and is less power hungry.

The HTPC is an OEM computer that is still in the process of being converted (still needs a case, Blu-ray drive and wireless keyboard along with some other less important parts).

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit