Moving from AMD FX-8150 to Intel chip

Hey guys, 

Currently, pretty happy with my 8150, but I have no upgrade path with AMD, and have heard Intel chips outperform, the FX series at least on single core operations. Use case for current PC is high-end gaming, and productivity, with some video editing.

After spending sometime on cpuboss.com, I'm more confused than before I started looking. It looks like Core I7 4790, was Intel's best chip ever; It outperform chips from 6th gen, when it is a 4th gen chip. Also, what is with Intel chips mostly only having 16 pci-e lanes...?

So, what do you think is the smart chip to go to on the Intel side?

Current system specs,

Motherboard: ASUS; SABERTOOTH 990FX/GEN3 R2.0

CPU: AMD Fx-8150 overclocked to 4.2 Ghz (the one AMD wants everyone to forget)

RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 32GB (4x8 GB) DDR3 @ 2133MHz

Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme [was mistake (custom pcb so no watercooling)]

RAID Card: Adaptec maxCache 5805ZQ

HDD: 5 1TB WD drives

SSD: 120 GB Kinston SSDNow V300 (main OS boot)

CPUBOSS is trash, forget everything you've read there.

A normal use i7 is a 4790K or a 6700K, I'd recommend the 6700K. It's everything you'll need.

I7 4790k or i5 4690k

i7 6700K or i5 6600k

simple

depending if you need a i7 or i5

if just gaming/photoshop/multitasking and small time video editimg i5

if ur video edition on large scale i7

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |

CPUBoss is practcially the WORST possible source. NEVER use any of the ****Boss sites.... EVER.

As for upgrading, 6700(K) is what I'd recommend or the 5820K

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

CPUBoss should never used as a point of information. Just a whole bunch of misleading bullcrap.

You can either go for the i7 6700K or the i7 4790K for the hyperthreading. Personally, I'd go i7 4790K paired with a Z97 motherboard so you can reuse the DDR3 RAM.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

3 minutes ago, MaverickNoob said:

Hey guys, 

Currently, pretty happy with my 8150, but I have no upgrade path with AMD

That's actually not true at all. You have a wide range of chips you could upgrade to. However, none of them are really worth spit. My best advice is to actually wait for Zen, and stick with AMD. If you haven't yet, go look up the leaked info about Zen, and you'll understand why. If you're truly adamant about switching, I'd go with a Skylake, myself.

Screenaninator: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 Nitro

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8300

Stickaminator: 16GB Crucial Vengance DDR3

Powermathingy: Corsair RM850i

attachamajiggy: Asus M5A97 R2.0 f

Remembrerthing: 240 GB Crucial SSD, 2TB Toshiba HDD

1 minute ago, JoePro87 said:

That's actually not true at all. You have a wide range of chips you could upgrade to. However, none of them are really worth spit. My best advice is to actually wait for Zen, and stick with AMD. If you haven't yet, go look up the leaked info about Zen, and you'll understand why. If you're truly adamant about switching, I'd go with a Skylake, myself.

Sure, there are chips... 8350, 9590... but none that offer performance increases that would justify the cost.

5 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

CPUBoss should never used as a point of information. Just a whole bunch of misleading bullcrap.

You can either go for the i7 6700K or the i7 4790K for the hyperthreading. Personally, I'd go i7 4790K paired with a Z97 motherboard so you can reuse the DDR3 RAM.

This is interesting, any comment on the fact that both of these chips only have 16 PCI Express Lanes (max) [http://ark.intel.com/compare/80807,88195 , 5:07pst 3/29/2016]?

1 minute ago, MaverickNoob said:

This is interesting, any comment on the fact that both of these chips only have 16 PCI Express Lanes (max) [http://ark.intel.com/compare/80807,88195 , 5:07pst 3/29/2016]?

Shouldn't be a problem if you're not going beyond two-way Crossfire/SLI.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

5 minutes ago, MaverickNoob said:

3 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Plus there are lots of boards with PLX chips if you really need more lanes...

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

Thanks, however does not my pci-e 4x raid card eat 4 of those lanes... so then are there only 12 left? 

8 minutes ago, MaverickNoob said:

Thanks, however does not my pci-e 4x raid card eat 4 of those lanes... so then are there only 12 left? 

Yes, but PCIe Lanes aren´t just hosted by the CPU (16), trey´re also hosted by the chipset (z.B. Z170 --> up to 20 additional PCIe 3.0 Lanes , Z97 --> up to additional 8 PCIe 2.0 Lanes) and you can still Split those Lanes via PLX since all of them are PCIe 3.0.

18 minutes ago, JoePro87 said:

yeah, you can upgrade to the same cpu but overclocked higher :) /s

1 minute ago, mikat said:

yeah, you can upgrade to the same cpu but overclocked higher :) /s

8150 - Bulldozer
8350 - Vishera :P

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

6 minutes ago, MaverickNoob said:

then you can't do SLI but idk if the raid card can go through the PCH, because in that case you can have SLI :)

or you can get a motherboard with a PLX bridge (fancy stuff that does some stuff with your pci-e lanes)

7 minutes ago, Majestic said:

With that GPU? You have no idea how much you're missing....

See my reply on page 203

2 minutes ago, MaverickNoob said:

I think the PCI-E raid card uses the PCI-E lanes from the PCH. The PCH has 20 lanes (Skylake only). While the CPU has 16. 

You should still be able to have two GPUs + a raid card for example with the Skylake platform. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

8 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

8150 - Bulldozer
8350 - Vishera :P

8150 was "Zambezi". Both are bulldozer.

7 minutes ago, MaverickNoob said:

See my reply on page 203

Yeah, but that benchmark is hardly indicative of the high-drawcall games and engines we see today. It barely stresses a CPU. Even Core2Quads pass that test with flying colors.

11 minutes ago, MaverickNoob said:

Not exactly. Like some said, there are also PCIe lanes that are hosted by the chipset. So even with a SLI setup and a PCI-e RAID card, you should be fine for either Haswell or Skylake.

Spoiler

Snag that i7 6700k. You're going to have to replace the MB anyways so you might as well drop a little more to upgrade to DDR4 RAM which will be in the mainstream for a while.

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

48 minutes ago, Majestic said:

With that GPU? You have no idea how much you're missing....

38 minutes ago, Majestic said:

8150 was "Zambezi". Both are bulldozer.

Yeah, but that benchmark is hardly indicative of the high-drawcall games and engines we see today. It barely stresses a CPU. Even Core2Quads pass that test with flying colors.

It appears you are correct... :( http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/8037629/fs/7864976# (edit) Just noticed kyozero has his 980ti running at higher clock speed... but not likely that accounts for all the difference.

Edited by MaverickNoob