PC Rebooting on it's own

Hey guys, so I overclocked my PC almost a week or so ago now and did a lot of stress testing (maybe not a lot to some people) and after it seemed like everything was stable I did about 2 hours of testing with no issues... and I hadn't had any problems since, until last night and this morning. Last night I was playing Rise of the Tomb Raider maxed out and it was running fantastically... then all the sudden with no warning my computer rebooted itself. I got a BlueScreenViewer utility or whatever it's called and there was no BSOD to accompany it, the last one I had was on the 23rd when I was doing stress tests. I also recently put my old GTX 770 in that was just laying around as a dedicated PhysX GPU, but I don't think that was actually helping at all like a few people tried to explain to me. So when I got this reboot, I went to a PSU calculator and entered everything including the GTX 770, and it said I needed 920+ Watts. I have a 750W PSU. Without the GTX 770 I need less than 650W though, so I took that card back out and figured that should be good now. Just in case the reboot was caused by the PSU not having enough power. I was playing for what seemed like at least an hour and a half before this happened though.

Which brings me to today. The GTX 770 is out and I was just downloading a steam game and FFXIV while watching some Youtube, and my PC made a sound loop noise from the video (very brief) and then rebooted. There was no BSOD with this either. Is it possible that my overclock is causing these problems even though it seemed like it was going to be pretty stable for a while there? Thanks for your help as always guys.

Yeah, sounds very likely that you have an unstable overclock. Your stress testing should be done over a 24hr period (in an ideal world). Try bringing your overclock down slightly or increase your voltage or offset slightly if you think it's safe to do so.

1 hour ago, Nex Cube said:

Hey guys, so I overclocked my PC almost a week or so ago now and did a lot of stress testing (maybe not a lot to some people) and after it seemed like everything was stable I did about 2 hours of testing with no issues... and I hadn't had any problems since, until last night and this morning. Last night I was playing Rise of the Tomb Raider maxed out and it was running fantastically... then all the sudden with no warning my computer rebooted itself. I got a BlueScreenViewer utility or whatever it's called and there was no BSOD to accompany it, the last one I had was on the 23rd when I was doing stress tests. I also recently put my old GTX 770 in that was just laying around as a dedicated PhysX GPU, but I don't think that was actually helping at all like a few people tried to explain to me. So when I got this reboot, I went to a PSU calculator and entered everything including the GTX 770, and it said I needed 920+ Watts. I have a 750W PSU. Without the GTX 770 I need less than 650W though, so I took that card back out and figured that should be good now. Just in case the reboot was caused by the PSU not having enough power. I was playing for what seemed like at least an hour and a half before this happened though.

Which brings me to today. The GTX 770 is out and I was just downloading a steam game and FFXIV while watching some Youtube, and my PC made a sound loop noise from the video (very brief) and then rebooted. There was no BSOD with this either. Is it possible that my overclock is causing these problems even though it seemed like it was going to be pretty stable for a while there? Thanks for your help as always guys.

I see, that's what I was thinking. My temperatures are actually a little close to being uncomfortable so I don't think I can increase my voltage. I guess I'll take it down to 4.2 GHz for now and start doing a pretty long stress test on that.