GTX 960 vs R9 380

boba99999
Go to solution Solved by Murasaki,

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

mani is not being helpful so ill do my best :P

nvidia have some softwares only nvidia cards can use, namely geforce experience

1) which can automatically optimise your game settings for the best looks while maintaining a good fps,

2) it also includes Share (previously known as shadowplay) which offers gpu accelerated recording software thats pretty much one of the best recording software out there

3) and then theres nvidia shield, a portable handheld console that can stream gameplay from your computer to your handheld device so you can get desktop gaming experience while slouching on the sofa

though

1) you can set the settings yourself and get similar results, that feature is for lazy people

2) there are other softwares out there to do the same thing, but only takes higher resources to do so

3) you probably wont use it, i havent met anyone that uses a shield lol

and there's PhysX as well.

I wanted to know which GPU I should go for, GTX 960 or R9 380? Both are Asus Strix, both are 4gb cards, and both cost roughly the same. Wanted to know which will deliver better performance. 

In case you wanted to know my CPU is I5 6500

if you're not worried about nvidia features or power usage, R9 380 is the winner here.

1 minute ago, Nucha_Powanusorn said:

What are the Nvidia features?

if you need to ask - you dont need them.

thats pretty much the deal.

(oh, and thats coming from an nvidia user :P)

4 minutes ago, Nucha_Powanusorn said:

What are the Nvidia features?

1) which can automatically optimise your game settings for the best looks while maintaining a good fps,

2) it also includes Share (previously known as shadowplay) which offers gpu accelerated recording software thats pretty much one of the best recording software out there

3) and then theres nvidia shield, a portable handheld console that can stream gameplay from your computer to your handheld device so you can get desktop gaming experience while slouching on the sofa

though

1) you can set the settings yourself and get similar results, that feature is for lazy people

2) there are other softwares out there to do the same thing, but only takes higher resources to do so

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

though

and there's PhysX as well.

36 minutes ago, Nucha_Powanusorn said:

I wanted to know which GPU I should go for, GTX 960 or R9 380? Both are Asus Strix, both are 4gb cards, and both cost roughly the same. Wanted to know which will deliver better performance. 

In case you wanted to know my CPU is I5 6500

i want to note that pretty much all the stuff in @Moonzy said applies to AMD cards too.

AMD has a software called Raptr, it does the exact same as GeForce Experience, minus forcing you to sign up with email to get the latest drivers.

AMD has a recording or streaming function built into Raptr, run by Plays.TV.... it works pretty much the same, but can throw a hissy fit with certain streaming sites.

Nvidia shield is a retarded suggestion, all it does is ass tonns of latency to your gaming experience, which can be uncomfortable for the end user.

Here is some facts.

Nvidia drivers under DirectX 11 puts less stress on the CPU then AMDs drivers. IF you have a lower end CPU like an Intel i3 4170, the GTX 960 will probably be a better match.

Nvidia drivers under DirectX 12 puts MORE stress on the CPU then AMDs drivers. Nvidia has about 5-10% CPU overhead in DX12, whilst AMD is 0-5% overhead.

The R9 380 is empirically faster and stronger then the GTX 960. R9 380X would be getting close to a GTX 970 in some titles.

The GTX 960 is better at tesselation. This is an important fact, because Nvidia is using very large amounts of Tesselation in their Gameworks titles. The amount of tesselation cannot be turned down inside the game, it must be forced lower in AMDs or Nvidias driver menus.

Gameworks hurts EVERYONE. Although, it seems to hit AMD slightly harder then Nvidia.

Unless you own a G-Sync monitor, or explicitly need Shadowplay, there is little to no reason ever getting a GTX 960 over a R9 380.

The power draw difference between the R9 380 and GTX 960 is less then 40w. That is a Single Incadecent Lightbulb of difference.

5 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Nvidia drivers under DirectX 12 puts MORE stress on the CPU then AMDs drivers. Nvidia has about 5-10% CPU overhead in DX12, whilst AMD is 0-5% overhead.

drivers can be improved, im just guessing nvidia isnt optimizing things now just because there isnt much dx12 games out there

6 minutes ago, Prysin said:

The R9 380 is empirically faster and stronger then the GTX 960.

not really a huge gap, you can see them trading blows with each other

but the 380 beats the 960 more often than not

8 minutes ago, Prysin said:

The GTX 960 is better at tesselation. This is an important fact, because Nvidia is using very large amounts of Tesselation in their Gameworks titles. The amount of tesselation cannot be turned down inside the game, it must be forced lower in AMDs or Nvidias driver menus.

8 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Gameworks hurts EVERYONE. Although, it seems to hit AMD slightly harder then Nvidia.

and this is why everyone should turn off gameworks features lol

it makes no sense to get better looking hair if you're going to watch a slideshow

11 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Unless you own a G-Sync monitor, or explicitly need Shadowplay, there is little to no reason ever getting a GTX 960 over a R9 380.

exactly, theres freesync and OBS lol

12 minutes ago, Prysin said:

The power draw difference between the R9 380 and GTX 960 is less then 40w. That is a Single Incadecent Lightbulb of difference.

errr 120w vs 190W, thats not 40W lol (source:http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-380-vs-GeForce-GTX-960)

its 70W difference and thats more than 1.5x the power consumption

so if your psu isnt that great, the 960 is your better option

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately