Should I purchase a graphics card?

I am interested in whether or not I should purchase a GPU. Here is my current build:
PCPartPicker part list: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/G6wW23
Price breakdown by merchant: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/G6wW23/by_merchant/
CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($285.00 @ Umart) 
Motherboard: Asus H110M-K Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($89.00 @ Umart) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($69.00 @ Umart) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($94.00 @ Umart) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.00 @ Umart) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.00 @ Umart) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic 360W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($89.00 @ Umart) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  ($119.00 @ Umart) 
Total: $903.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-28 19:14 AEDT+1100
I intend to program in programs such as C#/Visual Studio, browse the internet/youtube, run some programs of MS Office, and sometimes play the occasional game of hearthstone.
The discussion about that is here: 

Is it recommended that i purchase a graphics card for what I intend to do? I have heard that the integrated GPU would be sufficient.
Note: I intend to spend a couple hours a week on this computer.

Just now, Needapcforschoolwork said:

I am interested in whether or not I should purchase a GPU. Here is my current build:
PCPartPicker part list: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/G6wW23
Price breakdown by merchant: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/G6wW23/by_merchant/
CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($285.00 @ Umart) 
Motherboard: Asus H110M-K Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($89.00 @ Umart) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($69.00 @ Umart) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($94.00 @ Umart) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.00 @ Umart) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.00 @ Umart) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic 360W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($89.00 @ Umart) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  ($119.00 @ Umart) 
Total: $903.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-28 19:14 AEDT+1100
I intend to program in programs such as C#/Visual Studio, browse the internet/youtube, run some programs of MS Office, and sometimes play the occasional game of hearthstone.
The discussion about that is here: 

Is it recommended that i purchase a graphics card for what I intend to do? I have heard that the integrated GPU would be sufficient.
Note: I intend to spend a couple hours a week on this computer.

Not at all, obviously assuming you wont game/use photoshop etc

And if you ever do happen to notice sluggishness with one of the graphic programs youre using, you can always add one down the road.

Please vote for Donald Trump. I am out of sitcoms to watch.

When lyfe gives you HDDs, make SSDs

Spoiler

If thats all you do then no, Also the cpu have a igpu which is pretty decent for normal use.

I second what the others said.

If you are doing general Windows stuff, no, you don't need a video card.

Even games like Minecraft, World of Tanks, League of Legends, etc. all run fine on the Skylake's HD 530 iGPU.  Not at 4k ultra detail of course, but on a 1080p monitor or TV, they are just fine.

20 minutes ago, Tech Deals said:

I second what the others said.

If you are doing general Windows stuff, no, you don't need a video card.

Even games like Minecraft, World of Tanks, League of Legends, etc. all run fine on the Skylake's HD 530 iGPU.  Not at 4k ultra detail of course, but on a 1080p monitor or TV, they are just fine.

Some people are saying how I should get the i3 6100 instead of the i5 6500 as it is completely overkill for office use and casual gaming and the i3 is capable of doing just that for cheaper. And that I should instead use the money for something like the GT 750 Ti. I am unsure whether I should get the i3 or i5 processor.

51 minutes ago, xgn said:

If thats all you do then no, Also the cpu have a igpu which is pretty decent for normal use.

Some people are saying how I should get the i3 6100 instead of the i5 6500 as it is completely overkill for office use and casual gaming and the i3 is capable of doing just that for cheaper. And that I should instead use the money for something like the GT 750 Ti. I am unsure whether I should get the i3 or i5 processor.

1 hour ago, I am an SSD said:

Not at all, obviously assuming you wont game/use photoshop etc

And if you ever do happen to notice sluggishness with one of the graphic programs youre using, you can always add one down the road.

Some people are saying how I should get the i3 6100 instead of the i5 6500 as it is completely overkill for office use and casual gaming and the i3 is capable of doing just that for cheaper. And that I should instead use the money for something like the GT 750 Ti. I am unsure whether I should get the i3 or i5 processor.

1 hour ago, Needapcforschoolwork said:

Oh, in that case even a pentium g3258 (70 dollars or something) would do. There is absolutely no need for an i5. Save your money here then. 

This pentium is really good, infact there are so many budget gaming stations being built with a pentium. 

Tell you what, use the pentium now, (or an i3 if you REALLY want it for reasons I just cant think of) And save the 130 dollars you would spend extra on the i5.....THEN if you want to game a bit more, get the GTX 750ti for 104 dollars later on. 

To give you an idea about how well this combo would work :- it gives you `~30 fps on GTA 5 ultra at 1080p

Spoiler

Go with the i3 and no graphics card. Though if you plan to run multiple monitors or something you'll need a graphics card. You can play plenty of games on the IGPU, its about as powerful as a GTS 450 if I remember right which was a pretty nice graphics card back in 2010... not bad considering it's basically a free component of the CPU. 

That seems like such a weak computer for $900 though... am I looking at that right, Australian prices? Living in the states has its perks.  ;(

The i3 will save some cash.. also skip on the Windows for $120..... you can get Windows for $21. That saves you another $100.

http://www.kinguin.net/

1 hour ago, DunePilot said:

Go with the i3 and no graphics card. Though if you plan to run multiple monitors or something you'll need a graphics card. You can play plenty of games on the IGPU, its about as powerful as a GTS 450 if I remember right which was a pretty nice graphics card back in 2010... not bad considering it's basically a free component of the CPU. 

That seems like such a weak computer for $900 though... am I looking at that right, Australian prices? Living in the states has its perks.  ;(

The i3 will save some cash.. also skip on the Windows for $120..... you can get Windows for $21. That saves you another $100.

http://www.kinguin.net/

I don't really trust those kinda websites for selling windows keys even though they are one of the biggest games companies.

1 hour ago, I am an SSD said:

Oh, in that case even a pentium g3258 (70 dollars or something) would do. There is absolutely no need for an i5. Save your money here then. 

This pentium is really good, infact there are so many budget gaming stations being built with a pentium. 

Tell you what, use the pentium now, (or an i3 if you REALLY want it for reasons I just cant think of) And save the 130 dollars you would spend extra on the i5.....THEN if you want to game a bit more, get the GTX 750ti for 104 dollars later on. 

To give you an idea about how well this combo would work :- it gives you `~30 fps on GTA 5 ultra at 1080p

How would my current combo work? I'm not sure about getting i3 or pentium; I'll need to see where the real difference is in CPU performance outside of games. Because I am not really sure if I want to trade CPU performance for GPU in the future

3 minutes ago, Needapcforschoolwork said:

How would my current combo work? I'm not sure about getting i3 or pentium; I'll need to see where the real difference is in CPU performance outside of games. Because I am not really sure if I want to trade CPU performance for GPU in the future

Outside of games the performance will be perfectly fine. The i3 still 'has' 4 cores bc its hyperthreaded.

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

1 hour ago, Needapcforschoolwork said:

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Pentium-G3258-vs-Intel-Core-i3-4160

If you want general CPU comparison. But I think youre clear about one point yes? The i5 is overkill...

Why dont you want GPU performance? Like I said, the pentium is a very good CPU, the only problem being the dual core, rather the quad core...which again is only a problem if you edit and render video or play games like Far cry( there is a workaround for that as well but just saying)

Spoiler

Performance is perfectly fine... I use a G3258 for a CAD workstation in the office. I have multiple rigs, that one is a G3258 paired with a GTX 950. A Skylake i3 will be able to handle anything you throw at it for the work loads you mentioned. 

9 hours ago, I am an SSD said:

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Pentium-G3258-vs-Intel-Core-i3-4160

If you want general CPU comparison. But I think youre clear about one point yes? The i5 is overkill...

Why dont you want GPU performance? Like I said, the pentium is a very good CPU, the only problem being the dual core, rather the quad core...which again is only a problem if you edit and render video or play games like Far cry( there is a workaround for that as well but just saying)

Is this the comparison?

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Pentium-G3258-vs-Intel-Core-i3-6100/2434vs3511

2 hours ago, DunePilot said:

Performance is perfectly fine... I use a G3258 for a CAD workstation in the office. I have multiple rigs, that one is a G3258 paired with a GTX 950. A Skylake i3 will be able to handle anything you throw at it for the work loads you mentioned. 

Which would be better suited for what I intend to do?

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Pentium-G3258-vs-Intel-Core-i3-6100/2434vs3511

5 minutes ago, Needapcforschoolwork said:

I'd go with the i3 6100, only reason I went with the G3528 is that it's a placeholder chip until I find a used 4790k on the cheap.

Minimal price difference, 4 threads vs 2, slightly better iGPU, better single core performance.

2 hours ago, DunePilot said:

I'd go with the i3 6100, only reason I went with the G3528 is that it's a placeholder chip until I find a used 4790k on the cheap.

Minimal price difference, 4 threads vs 2, slightly better iGPU, better single core performance.

Yeah I figured the i3 6100 is definitely capable of what I need it to do now, but the i5 would allow for things in the future I may need. So the real question is whether or not I would spend an extra $120 for a CPU that I may or may not need to use in the future for things I don't even know.

15 minutes ago, Needapcforschoolwork said:

Yeah I figured the i3 6100 is definitely capable of what I need it to do now, but the i5 would allow for things in the future I may need. So the real question is whether or not I would spend an extra $120 for a CPU that I may or may not need to use in the future for things I don't even know.

There are another round of new Skylake chips that will be out by then and it would probably be better to pick one of those up at that time and resale the i3 for 1/2 or 2/3rds of what you bought it for. At $120ish new for the i3 it's hard to go wrong.

18 hours ago, Needapcforschoolwork said:

Some people are saying how I should get the i3 6100 instead of the i5 6500 as it is completely overkill for office use and casual gaming and the i3 is capable of doing just that for cheaper. And that I should instead use the money for something like the GT 750 Ti. I am unsure whether I should get the i3 or i5 processor.

Unless you're gaming (or doing professional video/image work), there is no point to an add in video card.  None.

The i3-6100 is a really nice CPU.  Pair it with a H110 motherboard for $50 or so and you've got a nice $170 platform that is really fast.

I wouldn't go down to a G4400 (someone suggested a Pentium) unless you're REALLY strapped for cash.  It is a good CPU, but the extra speed and hyperthreading of the i3 is worth it.  Also, the i3 has the HD 530 iGPU which is better than the one in the Pentium.

2 hours ago, Tech Deals said:

Pair it with a H110 motherboard for $50 or so and you've got a nice $170 platform that is really fast.

Is there something wrong with my current motherboard?

10 hours ago, Needapcforschoolwork said:

Yes...you can see for yourself that they highly recommend the CPU if you dont plan of video editing and stuff

Spoiler

12 hours ago, Needapcforschoolwork said:

Is there something wrong with my current motherboard?

Ahh, no, just looked at your OP and you have a H110 in there already from ASUS.  Too many threads to read! :)

I just see too many people putting a i3-6100 into a H170 and while that is nice, it is rather overkill IMHO.  The H170 does have some better features, but it is twice the price and you likely won't use them.

It all comes down to budget.  Is the i5-6500 "better" than the i3-6100?  Sure, in terms of overall performance and how long the system will last, 4 cores is better than 2 cores (and 2 fake ones).  But is the money well spent?  Meh.  Depends on how you'll use the computer.

I tell people to buy as much as they are comfortable affording, it will last the longest, but no harm in going less.  The i5-6500 is my personal "every person's baseline computer" when someone asks me "what should I buy", because it gives the most bang for the buck in my opinion.  The i3-6100 is bloody darn close however and is a really good runner up.