Does anyone know how to say no to windows 10

Okay so basically I have Windows 8.1 and microsoft wants me to have windows 10. 

Does anyone know how to permanently disable the upgrade notifications and reminders that pop-up in my notification bar? Every once in a while I come back to my computer and there is an annoying pop-up that prompts me to upgrade to windows 10. 

Much appreciated 

Try this.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/get-rid-windows-10-upgrade-notification-windows-7-8/

Aren't Microsoft forcing people to upgrade next year?

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

2 hours ago, X1XNobleX1X said:

Try this.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/get-rid-windows-10-upgrade-notification-windows-7-8/

forcing? what so just like disable all version of windows that not 10? i mean if they did they would get a big backlash id think. youd think linus would make a video on that? unless he did idk

4 minutes ago, Duboges said:

Okay so basically I have Windows 8.1 and microsoft wants me to have windows 10. 

Does anyone know how to permanently disable the upgrade notifications and reminders that pop-up in my notification bar? Every once in a while I come back to my computer and there is an annoying pop-up that prompts me to upgrade to windows 10. 

Much appreciated 

well, win10 is a very great upgrade, unless you cant find drivers

but if you could please upgrade everything got better from the 8.1 F up.

yes they are forcing us but its useful.

5 minutes ago, X1XNobleX1X said:

Try this.

Even if they do, I'd like to hold onto 8.1 as long as I can. I admit its not the best version of windows but it does the job and I just don't need Windows 10 at this point. 

2 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

forcing? what so just like disable all version of windows that not 10? i mean if they did they would get a big backlash id think. youd think linus would make a video on that? unless he did idk

Nevermind, I was wrong. I though Microsoft was actually forcing people to upgrade. (Without consent.) 

Seems it's just through popups. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

2 hours ago, X1XNobleX1X said:

Nevermind, I was wrong. I though Microsoft was actually forcing people to upgrade. (Without consent.) 

Seems it's just through popups. 

i was gonna say that would be really dumb. i love my windoes 7.

This might not be the answer you were looking for, but, if you are running 8.1, I would just upgrade to 10. It's basically the same, but with an actual start bar. And the whole security thing isn't much better on 8.1 than 10, so I don't really see a downside. I would only reccomend refusing the update if you are still running W7 and want to avoid all those security concerns.

Rig: MSI X370 SLI-Plus | Ryzen 7 1700X | ASUS GTX1070 | Corsair Vengeance 32gb DDR4 3000mhz | Corsair RM750i PSU | Samsung EVO 960 256GB NVMe SSD | Samsung EVO 860 1TB SSD | NZXT S340 Elite Case | Custom Water Loop

I must admit it does feel as they are forcing Windows 10 upon users. Just because of the "Windows 10 downloads in the background" thing

I think there's a file under system32 that you can delete to stop the notifications but don't blame me if you delete the wrong thing, Ask Google.

EDIT: I use Windows 10 and its not that bad, You kind of forget after a while that they are spying on you...

Edited by Marshall212
Adding
Wow this was old as heck, Need to update this signature!

7 minutes ago, Marshall212 said:

You kind of forget after a while that they are spying on you...

Oh I love this line.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

Telemetry data collecting is not spying. I am glad people now finally spent a few minutes of their time to read the privacy policy and license agreement, but that stuff existed since Windows XP days. If you have never done anything to disable it, Windows was collecting telemetry data on you.

If you really want to avoid it, you need to install Windows 2000 or older.

You can go back to Windows XP and with a registry edit you'll get security updates until 2019. :)

-KuJoe