Will an i5 4460 bottleneck a 980ti?

SirReginald
Go to solution Solved by Castdeath97,

It will, but since its a higher resolution it will matter less so it would be fine and will give you sometime to upgrade later.

Im thinking of upgrading from a 2560x1080 monitor with a 960 to a 34uc87c (3440x1440) and was wondering if my i5 4460 would bottleneck a 980ti at 3440x1440. And if so, what cpu should I upgrade to so I don't bottleneck?

Not really,

a overclocked 6700k will give you a couple extra frames in some cpu intensive games, but not enough to bother.

Bottlenecking is a bit of an overused term. If you take a modern game that taxes both cpu and gpu (and not some shoddy port) there is a huge range in which either a vastly better cpu or gpu will increase your average framerate at least a bit. 

Just ask yourself if spending x amount for more gpu or cpu power would give you better performance in your gaming scenario.

With ``only´´ a 980 ti at that resolution @ high settings and 60 fps a better cpu would hardly benefit you, @1080p and 144hz it would make sense to get an unlocked i7.

I would get a 4690k if you're building a system but if you want to upgrade to 980ti when you already have a 4460 it will not bottle kneck. But I would reccomend a future CPU upgrade to a 4770k/4790k if possible.

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

It will, but since its a higher resolution it will matter less so it would be fine and will give you sometime to upgrade later.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Just now, Castdeath97 said:

This makes no sense.

Just now, Castdeath97 said:

Snio

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

2 minutes ago, Sentryy said:

This makes no sense.

It does if you look into it, at higher resolutions you get less frames so the CPU has less frames to process 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

15 minutes ago, Sentryy said:

This makes no sense.

the task cpu have to do is the same for every resolution

but your graphics card have to work even harder to process more pixels as resolution increase

so at lower res, your cpu might bottleneck your gpu because your gpu finished processing what its supposed to do while the cpu is still calculating

but at higher res, your cpu is done calculating before your gpu finished "painting" the frame, thats whats happening

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately