16 year old's First build please help

Hey i'm Remi, i'm 16 and looking to build my first pc.

1. Budget & Location

I live in the UK and have a budget of roughly £1000

2. Aim

My pc will be used for school work, gaming, capture/ streaming and editing.

3. Monitors

M plan on having 2 1080p monitors to start with and get a third if i need more screen real estate

4. Peripherals

I do not need an os i will be getting a windows 7 key from a scrapped laptop, i have possession of most other peripherals i need but will probably upgrade them later

5. Why are you upgrading?

I am upgrading because i currently use a gaming laptop with a 640m which overheats all the time( see attached photo), i also want less wire's on my desk(currently there is the output to a monitor usb hub  charger ect)

I have a rough idea of what i want, I've been planning it for a few weeks, I'm still not sure whether to go for a r9 390 or a gtx 970

PCPartpicker:http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/FMKvzy

i plan on running the ssd's in raid 0 with the m.2 as the boot device and files such as video being stored on the hard disk.

i went for micro atx because i am low on space, but need more features than an itx board can supply.

Thank you in advance for your help

20160327_115243.jpg

20160327_115249.jpg

Spoiler

Warning: spoiler alert:

Spoiler

Get it because the function for this is a spoiler

Spoiler

Why are you not laughing?

Spoiler

What do you mean its not funny?

Spoiler

Snape kills Dumbledore, you happy, look what you made me do.

1- What are you going to do with 3 SSDs? Just get one 250 GB/480GB SSD (no please don't raid 0 three SSD, you would be asking for data loss).

2- Use the thermal paste included with your cooler.

3- 32GB of RAM is overkill, get 16GB and upgrade later.

4- Never get the ASUS cooler for anything AMD above a R9 380X, they have horrendous temps. Get something from Sapphire, MSI or heck even power colour.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Unless you plan on being stationary for the next while, I would recommend mITX, I went with ATX, now my options of travelling with it is very bad (and I have to borrow a friend's computer to play with him), consider if you really do need mATX, if it is for the M.2 or for future dual graphics, reconsider. I highly doubt you will go dual graphics, I thought I was gonna, but never did, and certain mITX boards support M.2

970 for better heat management and quiet-ness (is that even a word?). I have a 970, my friend has a 290, his gets considerably more hot on the stock fan profile, while I can run my 970 pretty much silent all the time and still get lower temperatures.

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

Also there is a uk website for pcpartpicker so use it since the prices are different.

Pascal laptops guide

welcome to the forumz ;)

11 minutes ago, imremi said:

r9 390 or a gtx 970

depends on your needs

if you want nvidia's features, then the 970 is your obvious choice

if not, the 390 offers slightly better performance in games ;)

though if you're using a SFF case, you might wanna consider the more efficient card, which is the 970

11 minutes ago, imremi said:

comments:

Spoiler

1) i suggest using the stock thermal compound that comes with your cooler if it comes with any, dont bother spending extra for 1 celcius lower temps

2) rog boards are overpriced lol

3) 32gb of ram is... too much for just gaming lol, unless you need 32gb, i suggest going with 2x8gb first, since your processor supports dual channel only, so no speed drop there, and upgrade in the future if you need, also try and get hyper x fury or vengeance lpx rams, because skylake is picky with rams and ive seen these two brands working with skylake consistently, while others have been causing slight issues

4) absurd ssd config, get a single 500gb 850evo, you probably dont need m.2 ssd. and a 2tb wd blue offers better value than 1tb

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, FunkyFeatures said:

Unless you plan on being stationary for the next while, I would recommend mITX, I went with ATX, now my options of travelling with it is very bad (and I have to borrow a friend's computer to play with him), consider if you really do need mATX, if it is for the M.2 or for future dual graphics, reconsider. I highly doubt you will go dual graphics, I thought I was gonna, but never did, and certain mITX boards support M.2

970 for better heat management and quiet-ness (is that even a word?). I have a 970, my friend has a 290, his gets considerably more hot on the stock fan profile, while I can run my 970 pretty much silent all the time and still get lower temperatures.

The R9 390 has a revised power delivery, so comparing it to R9 290 isn't valid (it also depends on the cooler, sapphire cards get pretty cool and quiet).

Pascal laptops guide

2 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

The R9 390 has a revised power delivery, so comparing it to R9 290 isn't valid (it also depends on the cooler, sapphire cards get pretty cool and quiet).

My friend has a 290 sapphire Tri-X and AFAIK the 390 isn't that much better on power (just bumped the core clock 50mhz I think, using the same amount of power)

Still a power hog compared to a 970, from my experience I find a high end cooler on a 970 will be a lot more quiet than a high end cooler on a 390 (because it needs to take care of more tdp, will still be quiet, just not as quiet)

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

Here are some things you may have to consider:

1) 32GB is much. Get 16GB instead.

2) You have way too much low quality SSD's. Get just one good SSD.

3) Get a better thermal grease. That is not enough

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

9 minutes ago, FunkyFeatures said:

My friend has a 290, and AFAIK the 390 isn't that much better on power (just bumped the core clock 50mhz I think, using the same amount of power)

Still a power hog compared to a 970, from my experience I find a high end cooler on a 970 will be a lot more quiet than a high end cooler on a 390 (because it needs to take care of more tdp, will still be quiet, just not as quiet)

Not really much of a difference to be honest, the R9 390 nitro louds at 71-76 degrees and 33-36 Db. Pretty close to many Nvidia cards. Also peaks at 330W, so yeah not a big problem in many cases.

Source: http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/sapphire-r9-390-nitro-8gb-review/22/

Pascal laptops guide

Here is what I would consider, if you will stick with 1080 for some time you can also get a 970 look up comparisons online and see which cards is best in the games you play:

better than the bad BX200 I had last time

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£194.33 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler  (£19.98 @ Ebuyer) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£99.84 @ More Computers) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£58.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (£145.08 @ More Computers) 
Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£104.00 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£40.09 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card  (£259.98 @ Ebuyer) 
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  (£50.03 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: Super Flower Golden Green HX 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  (£63.48 @ Aria PC) 
Total: £1035.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-27 13:00 BST+0100

or with a even better 2.5" SSD

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£194.33 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler  (£19.98 @ Ebuyer) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£99.84 @ More Computers) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£58.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (£145.08 @ More Computers) 
Storage: Crucial MX200 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£112.98 @ Dabs) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£40.09 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card  (£259.98 @ Ebuyer) 
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  (£50.03 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: Super Flower Golden Green HX 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  (£63.48 @ Aria PC) 
Total: £1044.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-27 13:02 BST+0100

Pascal laptops guide

8 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Not really much of a difference to be honest, the R9 390 nitro louds at 71-76 degrees and 33-36 Db. Pretty close to many Nvidia cards. Also peaks at 330W, so yeah.

Source: http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/sapphire-r9-390-nitro-8gb-review/22/

The Palit 970 is about 90 watts lower at full load, thats 90 less watts of heat to get rid of, which is my argument - less power to get rid of, lower temperature possibly lower noise. Then again, I am pretty aggressive when it comes to noise, the noisiest part of my system is the hard drive, 33-36 Db is audible, while quiet still audible. With a lower TDP and a huge cooler, that "Quiet" can be tuned down to "inaudible" even during load.

I am not trying to start an argument, honestly OP should go with what he wants, the 390 has more VRAM, and I think it is a tiny bit cheaper? The GTX 970 has 4GB VRAM, uses less power. They are different, and honestly you can't go wrong with either of them.

thanks for all the feedback i would just li9ke to say that i would like to keep a spare pcie slot for a pci capture card one day

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, imremi said:

thanks for all the feedback i would just li9ke to say that i would like to keep a spare pcie slot for a pci capture card one day

You can check the review of the case you picked to see how many free slots it offers, pretty sure mATX boards have enough slots for it but for the case I'm not entirely.

Pascal laptops guide

2 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

You can check the review of the case you picked to see how many free slots it offers, pretty sure mATX boards have enough slots for it but for the case I'm not entirely.

yeah it has 5 expansion slot i was just referring to when you posted a mother board with one pci slot

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, imremi said:

yeah it has 5 expansion slot i was just referring to Castdeath97 who posted a motherboard with only one pcie slot

Here you go updated the list with a part list with a mATX board with more slots.

Pascal laptops guide

4 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Here you go updated the list with a part list with a mATX board with more slots.

Thanks! The pc looks great now i cant wait to build it.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, imremi said:

Thanks! The pc looks great now i cant wait to build it.

Updated it with a better SSD since the last one turned out to be not as good as I hoped.

Pascal laptops guide

changed the part link quite a bit give me your thoughts on the new link:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/FMKvzy

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£194.33 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler  (£19.98 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII GENE Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£169.97 @ More Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£58.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (£145.08 @ More Computers)
Storage: Crucial BX200 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£94.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card  (£259.98 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  (£50.03 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£74.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1068.32
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-27 14:08 BST+0100

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

45 minutes ago, imremi said:

changed the part link quite a bit give me your thoughts on the new link:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/FMKvzy

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII GENE Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£169.97 @ More Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£58.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (£145.08 @ More Computers)
Storage: Crucial BX200 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£94.98 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£74.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1068.32
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-27 14:08 BST+0100

I wouldn't get the BX200 that I suggested previously, turned out to be bad. Get a Ultra II or even better a MX200.

Pascal laptops guide

6 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

I wouldn't get the BX200 that I suggested previously, turned out to be bad. Get a Ultra II or even better a MX200.

is this better?

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/xMxpZL

Storage: Crucial MX200 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£112.98 @ Dabs)
Total: £1086.32
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-27 14:58 BST+0100

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Julian2000nl said:

Go for the R9 390.

Get 1 ssd.. Or just get 1 good HDD.

Where do you need 32GB of RAM for? 16GB is enough.

CPU is on expensive side.. The AMD FX-8300 is around the same performance but a lot cheaper. (+-$140)

Hide contents

b3015fa43e5dfeaf1a13b9118b6ca05c.png

f8fe7b172144d5b9f34bfd7e834292eb.pngYou can see that the FX has lower Single Core performance.

No please don't use GPU/CPU boss, ever!

Pascal laptops guide

5 minutes ago, imremi said:

is this better?

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/xMxpZL

Storage: Crucial MX200 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£112.98 @ Dabs)
Total: £1086.32
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-27 14:58 BST+0100

Looks great, I also find out that the V21 can fit a longer CPU cooler up to 180mm like the H7 if you feel like you need one.

Pascal laptops guide

6 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Looks great, I also find out that the V21 can fit a longer CPU cooler up to 180mm like the H7 if you feel like you need one.

would a aio water cooler be worth it? I i plan on doing some overclocking in the future

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler