Does Quantum Dot Make Your Monitor Better? - Philips 276E6 LCD Review

LinusTech
7 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Amazon: http://geni.us/1PpY
NCIX: n/a

Quantum Dot technology - there's been so much hype! But is it enough to take a regular IPS monitor to "the next level"?

2 in one night?

My native language is C++

3 minutes ago, Kyle Manning said:

2 in one night?

Scrapyard Wars is last night's Vessel release. This was on Vessel a week ago

The plastic white is a huge turn of, it makes look really cheap imo. 

What are these shadowy horizontal lines on the screen? Some interference between LCD polarizing filter and the camera sensor/shutter? It looks quite odd.

Good review Linus!

I would have liked to see measurements such as average DeltaE numbers, color balance, gamma, etc but it was still pretty good. Good job mentioning the drawbacks of wider than sRGB gamut on Windows. It's a shame that we are getting all these new and exciting display technologies, but support in Windows is lagging behind (adaptive-sync, wide gamuts, variable refresh rates, high PPI and so on).

Every single tv show has blown out saturation, and so does every single instagram photo.

They're just keeping pace

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

11 hours ago, visitor2015 said:

What are these shadowy horizontal lines on the screen? Some interference between LCD polarizing filter and the camera sensor/shutter? It looks quite odd.

More likely refresh rates of the monitor vs the cameras shutter/fps. If it was polarising it would be more like a gradient across the entire monitor.

As to the monitor, its no good even to "prosumers" if it cannot show a true colour profile ~(aka the sRGB mode).
Considering just about everything works on sRGB, from hand held devices to printing companies, the usability is pretty much shot as next to nowhere supports, or uses, Abode RGB.

I know I went WOW in the first bit, and with the scope of colour it should give it a long service life in sRGB (where all panels eventually start to wither).
But the problems? And the manufacturers response?
They really need to look into them to make it viable.

Its not my fault I am grumpy, you try having a porcelain todger that's always hard! 

Good video up to the point u mention OLED and Burn in. That issue is more or less gone for anything other than older mobile sized panels. It takes an crazy amount of time for a static image to burn in, we're talking over 24hours last I checked. The only time u could potentially see that is on 24/7 Display models in shops.

Normal PC use, and especially normal TV use, wont have issues with burn in.

Worst case scenario, people learn / re-learn to use screen savers and auto hide task bar like back in the days of CRT.

As for that QD Display, when I first heard of QD years back I thought it sounded great as an alternative to OLED. Alas the more I looked into it the worse it seemed.

As u mentioned QD does not get over the inherent flaws of LCD tech, being pixel response, poor viewing angles, and catastrophic blacks levels caused by the required backlight.

The only feature that can somewhat remedy the main drawback (for me) that being Black levels, is a good implementation of Full Array Local Dimming (FALD). This is where the backlight becomes many many many smaller lights with individual controls for brightness so that when a dark image is displayed the areas that need to be black can have the backlight turn off. FALD + QD + 1440p-2160p + 75hz or higher + Gsync + 21:9 + ~40" size, would be the panicle of LCD monitors imo.

Even so, for me OLED is the only way forward after plasma, LCD was the biggest mistake ever made in TV tech, it was a major step backwards that we are still paying for over a decade later.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

3 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Good video up to the point u mention OLED and Burn in. That issue is more or less gone for anything other than older mobile sized panels. It takes an crazy amount of time for a static image to burn in, we're talking over 24hours last I checked. The only time u could potentially see that is on 24/7 Display models in shops.

Normal PC use, and especially normal TV use, wont have issues with burn in.

Worst case scenario, people learn / re-learn to use screen savers and auto hide task bar like back in the days of CRT.

I can see burn in quite clearly on my Galaxy S 4. That's a fairly modern SAMOLED panel and there have been quite few static images on it (Samsung even made the status bar change color to even out the degradation). Dell's OLED panel also has features to hinder the screen from degrading. It is an issue with OLED panels still. It is not anywhere near as big of an issue as with the really early panels (Galaxy S 2 and earlier), but it is still an issue.

If you have a favorite TV channel then I would not be surprised if its logo will get burnt in to your panel after just ~3 years. For computer monitors you will end up with a burnt in task bar.

On 27/03/2016 at 0:20 AM, LAwLz said:

Good review Linus!

I would have liked to see measurements such as average DeltaE numbers, color balance, gamma, etc but it was still pretty good. Good job mentioning the drawbacks of wider than sRGB gamut on Windows. It's a shame that we are getting all these new and exciting display technologies, but support in Windows is lagging behind (adaptive-sync, wide gamuts, variable refresh rates, high PPI and so on).

Great review, I concur!...however not being able to move the monitor other than tilt and no way to home fabricate or install any VESA standardized mount is very poor design concept for me and would not purchase. Being that, for example VESA (/ˈviːsə/), or Flat Panel Monitor Physical Mounting Interface (FPMPMI) as a standard, came into being back in 1997.

Or maybe the whole design to manufacture process is missed by me as the product is aimed at a very "Apple niche" part of the huge display market. Before Apple release a 5k monitor with compatibility for the next graphics output standard of DisplayPort 1.3 ?

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).