Can't connect via ethernet

C0nn0r

I've just built a pc and tried to connect it to the switch with my BT home hub2 using an ethernet cable. In the lan2 slot. However the light on the switch didn't come on and my pc won't detect anything and is saying no network adapter detected or installed or something

install the motherboard drivers

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Driver, check the MoBo, check the cord/hub, try lan1? 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

What redwulf said and make sure its not a crossover cable by chance. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

8 minutes ago, C0nn0r said:

I've just built a pc and tried to connect it to the switch with my BT home hub2 using an ethernet cable. In the lan2 slot. However the light on the switch didn't come on and my pc won't detect anything and is saying no network adapter detected or installed or something

Install motherboard drivers, did the same mistake with my first build...

Main: Gigabyte G1 980Ti, i5 6600k, MSI Z170A M5, 16GB DDR4 2666, NZXT H440, NZXT x61, EVGA 750W G2, Windows 10 

Second PC: EVGA Reference GTX 680, i7 2700k, 16GB DDR3, Corsair 300R, Corsair CX500W, Windows 10

Laptop: Acer Aspire 5750G, GT540M, i7 2630QM, 6GB DDR3, Windows 7 

21 minutes ago, Leo_Dahlin said:

Install motherboard drivers, did the same mistake with my first build...

Noob question. How? The stuff on the cd? I did install that stuff

27 minutes ago, C0nn0r said:

Noob question. How? The stuff on the cd? I did install that stuff

search for device manager in the windows search, see if there are any missing drivers. 

here is a walkthrough and how to find the correct drivers LINK . the driver cd that came with your motherboard should definately have he drier to at least get it working ou should always get the latest drivers from the manufacture website. If you have another PC you can use that to download the drivers put them on a usb stick and install the updated drivers 

CPUIntel i5-6600k - Mobo - MSI Z170A M3 Gaming - RAM - 16GB G.SKILL DDR4 2133 -  GPU - MSI R9 380 4GB    

CASE - Corsair Cube 540  CPU COOLER - Hyper 212 EVO - PSU - EVGA 1050w 

51 minutes ago, Bacon8tor said:

search for device manager in the windows search, see if there are any missing drivers. 

here is a walkthrough and how to find the correct drivers LINK . the driver cd that came with your motherboard should definately have he drier to at least get it working ou should always get the latest drivers from the manufacture website. If you have another PC you can use that to download the drivers put them on a usb stick and install the updated drivers 

Yeah..... I didn't install that single one haha. Thank you

1 hour ago, Bacon8tor said:

I downloaded the driver. All of them. Now with the ethernet connected there's a yellow '!' Instead of a red sign next to the internet access icon. Upon troubleshooting I get this message.

1458843038531-277371120.jpg

Have you rebooted? 

CPUIntel i5-6600k - Mobo - MSI Z170A M3 Gaming - RAM - 16GB G.SKILL DDR4 2133 -  GPU - MSI R9 380 4GB    

CASE - Corsair Cube 540  CPU COOLER - Hyper 212 EVO - PSU - EVGA 1050w 

12 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

What redwulf said and make sure its not a crossover cable by chance. 

So long as at least one of the things the crossover cable is plugged into was manufactured in the last 10-15 years auto-MDIX kicks in and internally flops it around to be a straight cable.

Essentially using a crossover cable is never going to be a problem.

10 hours ago, C0nn0r said:

I downloaded the driver. All of them. Now with the ethernet connected there's a yellow '!' Instead of a red sign next to the internet access icon. Upon troubleshooting I get this message.

I've ran into that before... the most common solution I found online is to go into the command prompt and do "netsh winsock reset" but it didn't work for me... I gave up after a few hours of troubleshooting and just reinstalled Windows and it was fine. I presume since you just built it not much is setup so if the winsock reset doesn't work I would just reinstall the OS.