What AMD/Intel has to do.

Lolipop

I swear to god, AMD need's to drastically upgrade performance per core.

I mean look,

8350 has 8 cores and 8 threads and is clocked at 4Ghz.

i5 3570k has 4 cores and 4 threads and is clocked at 3.4 Ghz.

They both perform some what the same, considering the 8350 has double the cores and threads.

If they can at least get the performance of their cores to like a 2nd generation Intel core with their upcoming Steamroller CPU.

They could possibly, be a strong and considered competitor to Intel.

OR

Intel has to take their cores and put it in a fashion like AMD, where there are 8 cores or something like that, and lower the cost.

But I don't think Intel can lower the price that far. Which leads into another idea I want to talk about.

Intel overprices their CPU's.

Look at from the i7-3770k to the 3930k.

3770k has 4 cores and 8 threads.

3930k has 6 cores and 12 threads.

2 more cores and threads. Is it worth the 300 dollar price increase?

How about the 3930k to the 3960x.

Same thing, except more L3 Cache. Is it worth the 500 doller increase?

What is Intel trying to do? I'm sure they already have plenty of money.

The price difference between the 3930K and the Intel Extreme's isn't worth it however what you said isn't entirely true. The core system on the AMD is more like a set of 4 semi-dual cores. Hopefully someone else can explain it a bit better but the AMD isn't what you'd think it would be in terms of structure. They're sort of arranged in a set of 4 and each unit has two cores with a shared portion of cache.

The price difference between the 3930K and the Intel Extreme's isn't worth it however what you said isn't entirely true. The core system on the AMD is more like a set of 4 semi-dual cores. Hopefully someone else can explain it a bit better but the AMD isn't what you'd think it would be in terms of structure. They're sort of arranged in a set of 4 and each unit has two cores with a shared portion of cache.

I believe that is how simple you can go about explaining it in layman's terms. AMD's 8 core isn't a true 8 core by any means.

I believe that is how simple you can go about explaining it in layman's terms. AMD's 8 core isn't a true 8 core by any means.

I don't want to get all technical because then no one will understand :P

If AMD steps up its per core performance it will be a Win-WIN for us as Intel will make 8 Core CPU's cheaper and AMD will have a more powerful design.

Intel Core I5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz w/ Hyper 212 EVO Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H 8GB Patriot Viper 3 1600Mhz CL9 Gigabyte Windforce 3X 7950 @ 1100/1550 Samsung 830 128GB Seagate Barracuda 1TB Fractal Design ​Define R4 Seasonic M12II 750Watt

If AMD steps up its per core performance it will be a Win-WIN for us as Intel will make 8 Core CPU's cheaper and AMD will have a more powerful design.

That's the whole idea of Steamroller, AMD"s upcoming architecture, so fingers crossed , we'll start seeing full fledged eight cores soon enough.

With the AMD processors if you look at the images amd release of the insides of them it is 4 modules with as has been said the two semi cores is a better solution than intels hyper threading system which is just odd because it can magically make more threads. A 3960X and I believe the 3930k are just 8 core zeons that has 2 of the cores disabled. They are x79 processors because they are not good enough to be zeons because of the binning process and all that.

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

That's the whole idea of Steamroller, AMD"s upcoming architecture, so fingers crossed , we'll start seeing full fledged eight cores soon enough.

should i hold off for steamroller or should i get a fx8350 now

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

The FX 8350 is tangibly faster than the 3570K in applications that fully utilize all 8 threads or most of them.

We're already starting to see games that support 8 cores like Crysis 3, so per-core performance will not be nearly as important as it was before for gaming.

What processor you currently have ?

i currently have a phenom II 1035T running off a asus m5a78lm/usb3

Then it's definitely worth the upgrade , you can compare an 1100T which is a processor very similar to yours to the FX 8350 here : http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/computer-hardware/cpus-motherboards-and-memory/100765-amd-cpus-destroy-intel-s-in-crysis-3

should i wait until steamroller is what I am asking

Doesn't AMD call their cores 'nodes' or something like that?

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

The FX 8350 is tangibly faster than the 3570K in applications that fully utilize all 8 threads or most of them.

We're already starting to see games that support 8 cores like Crysis 3, so per-core performance will not be nearly as important as it was before for gaming.

At stock clocks yes, when the clocks are the same however, they're about even, tested this myself against a bunch of 8350 benches, mine even came ahead in some applications that the 8350 was winning at.

AMD architecture is still pretty lousy, it hasn't changed much since the Phenom days performance wise, which is why im hoping they step it up, most people dont realize 1/2 of the performance jump from Bulldozer to Piledriver was actually just a higher stock clock.

Especially since Haswell is coming and AMD is going to quickly run out of room to bump stock clocks, it wouldn't be nice AMD needs to improve on it significantly to stay competitive.

Intel Core I5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz w/ Hyper 212 EVO Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H 8GB Patriot Viper 3 1600Mhz CL9 Gigabyte Windforce 3X 7950 @ 1100/1550 Samsung 830 128GB Seagate Barracuda 1TB Fractal Design ​Define R4 Seasonic M12II 750Watt

Crysis 3 = 6 cores max

only on stock speed wil the fx8350 beat the 3570k when it comes to oc the i5 3570k wont be much different from the fx 8350

5ghz (and faster per clock) vs 4.5Ghz(slower per clock but 6 core utilized)

the FX-8xx0 CPUs have 8 cores and four modules. Each Module contains 2 CPUs, the functionality of these cores is divided between dedicated (think like intel does cores) and shared (stuff that is not very common on consumer desktops and is therefore not really needed as much). each module has 2 Integer cores and 1 FP core, and is then packaged as a 2, 4, 6, or 8 core depending on the number of modules

@firestorm: don't do that, your better then that. of course the 3570k will perform better in that config, you added 700mhz to the turbo clock while only 500mhz to the AMD's turbo. if you where to look at 4.3/4.8 to 5.0/5.5ghz, you will find they have the same performance delta.

Isn't Steamroller coming around late Q4 of 2013?

@ Lolipop, yes for APUs that's confirmed, for desktop CPUs not yet confirmed.