Strange noise coming from GPU

Virtual01

I've been playing Dark Souls all day and just started to notice a strange sound coming from my GPU. It doesn't sound like coil whine, it's much lower pitched and sounds like grinding. It's not the fans, the noise occurs whether the fans are on or off, and the noise differs in frequency depending on how I move the camera in the game. After opening and closing the game a few times my GPU driver crashed. The game isn't wrecking my GPU either, usage hovers at around 60% and temperature stays at around 58C.

Is this just a form of coil whine? It wasn't happening earlier in the day but I've been running my GPU for close to 12 hours now so maybe that did something?

Does it only happen in that game or do you experience it in other games as well?

浪速の建てるは静か用に建てました!- Build Log Coming Soon!

That is called "coil whine" that means you are stressing the gpu's memory no way to stop it I actually recommend do some folding@home for 2 days straight and it will lesten the sound. It is still coil whine no matter what pitch. If not coil whine then it is the fan's motor bugging out. What gpu do you have?

8 minutes ago, Papakuma said:

Does it only happen in that game or do you experience it in other games as well?

It happens in other games, mainly DOTA2 where the framerate is consistently maxed out. But in that game the whine is very high pitched and less noticeable. It's just weird to me because I've never gotten coil whine at 60fps before, but Dark Souls in PC is a train wreck of a game so it's not totally shocking.

9 minutes ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

That is called "coil whine" that means you are stressing the gpu's memory no way to stop it I actually recommend do some folding@home for 2 days straight and it will lesten the sound. It is still coil whine no matter what pitch. If not coil whine then it is the fan's motor bugging out. What gpu do you have?

Gigabyte G1 gaming 980ti

crack an egg on it and that will fill your solder holes and wipe off the rest, but it has to be running a game so its hot enough. ;D

15 minutes ago, Virtual01 said:

It happens in other games, mainly DOTA2 where the framerate is consistently maxed out. But in that game the whine is very high pitched and less noticeable. It's just weird to me because I've never gotten coil whine at 60fps before, but Dark Souls in PC is a train wreck of a game so it's not totally shocking.

Gigabyte G1 gaming 980ti

same as mine and I don't hear anything other than the fans