At what price will you pick up a VR headset immediately?

kenjigreat

Never.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

$0 as they are now.

I don't care what it costs, I care about the form factor.

When they are the size of a normal pair of glasses and are completely wireless, that is when I'll look into VR gear.

I bought a Vive fairly early on in the preorder (comes May) so I think its compelling enough now to be worth it. But the big problem I have is the resolution and screen door effect combined with the fragmented games market. We are going to need faster graphics cards before we see sufficient resolutions to really remove most of the issues with a small screen that close to the face and the form factor isn't going to improve until we see a big jump in display technology. I think its at the point where its pretty cool and if you go and play with a Vive in a local store (they have them available in all shops all over the world for you to play with) I think you'll agree its an interesting compelling gaming concept.

Having played a bit with Cardboard and my phone with Trinus and having VR in games and being an early adopt of a TrackIR 4 etc I know the value in being able to look around in certain games but room scale VR is something even better. I would love to be playing Arma 3 with a Omni treadmill and virtual gun aiming and such, but the game isn't going to support it all but if it did I suspect I would be great shape in no time considering how far we run every night and how much I play that game!

VR is coming and its going to get better but the V1 headsets we have today are good enough to really immerse you.

I wouldn't be willing to pay much of anything for it until there's actual must-play VR games that I'd really want to engage with for longer than a 20-minute session. I'm still not even convinced triple-A 3D gaming is where VR is going to be the most successful, at least not for several generations of both VR headsets and graphics tech.