VRM temps safe?

VagabondWraith
Go to solution Solved by Roawoao,
15 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

Oh okay. So how far off do you think it might be?

It depends strongly on the specific material and surface of the VRM and how small you can get the spot size typically IR thermometers are not designed to read tiny spots and it should say on it somewhere how this spot size increases with distance. The quickest way to try to compensate is to stick some masking tape on the VRM to measure it then if it reads much hotter then your getting a more expected reading. (Don't forget the masking tape actually reduces the actual surface temperature by insulating the VRM a bit but the 0.92 emissivity will be much better than an unknown metallic surface)

As others have said just touch the actual VRM bits with your finger if it burns it is hotter than ~45degC and if it does not burn then it is colder. It if really burns then it is likely >60degC. (Beware of ESD obviously) Also the coils (gray/metallic, ferrite) will likely be cooler than the actual switching ICs which are smaller black encapsulated chips very close to the coils (typically labelled with a Q## on the PCB silkscreen).

Most VRMs probably run quite hot and unlike a processor they can usually survive temperatures even at 105+degC max. (That would burn really bad if you touched something that hot). Don't forget with human temperature metallic parts (coils, leads, tabs) will feel hotter than plastic parts (chips) even at the same temperature as you only sense the heat flow not actual temperature. The 45degC comes from the fact that above this temperature human proteins will get cooked and this will cause pain.

Also looking at the PCB back is going to give very hard to interpret readings as the thermal resistances will make it difficult to determine the actual VRM temperature. This is on top of the emissivity problems a metallized PCB will have.

With a fan blowing directly onto the VRM area they are likely getting enough cooling even without a heatsink directly on them. The PCB itself is a sort of metal heatsink and the fans will cool it down accordingly.

I have a Kraken G10 w/ heatsinks on the VRM of my 980 Ti. Since the GPU has no built in VRM monitoring (thanks nVidia) I decided to buy an IR Sensor temperature gun. I wasn't able to get right on the VRM except the outermost one, and I pointed the sensor to the back of the PCB directly above the power delivery area and the highest point was 45.5c. Is that a safe temp?

BTW, the temps are cool downstairs at 17.5c.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

45*C is too low to be an accurate reading. Most are usually 70*C-90*C under load

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

That seems a bit low. The actual vrm temp will be way higher, but with nvidia cards there is no way of checking vrm temps in software, so the best you can do is point your thermometer at the heatsink itself, or just use your finger and see if the heatsink is too warm to touch.

One thing you have to watch out for is shiny surfaces, as they mess with ir sensors...

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

IR thermometers have a spot size that increases with distance and shiny or metallic parts can confuse the sensor. A thermal imaging camera can give you a better idea especially in detecting reflective surfaces that give false readings.

Sticking a piece of masking tape will give you a good emissivity to test off of just don'y leave the tape for long as it will get all gooy from the temperatures.

http://www.infrared-thermography.com/material-1.htm

Most IR thermometers are calibrated to around 0.95 while metals can give off wildly different readings due to surface treatments, paints, polish, ...

A thermocouple (watch out for shorts) is the best way to measure.

2 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

45*C is too low to be an accurate reading. Most are usually 70*C-90*C under load

It was running for about 20 mins prior to taking the temps. Those IR guns are very accurate though. The highest I got after 45 mins is 48.5.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

2 minutes ago, Roawoao said:

IR thermometers have a spot size that increases with distance and shiny or metallic parts can confuse the sensor. A thermal imaging camera can give you a better idea especially in detecting reflective surfaces that give false readings.

Sticking a piece of masking tape will give you a good emissivity to test off of just don'y leave the tape for long as it will get all gooy from the temperatures.

15 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

It depends strongly on the specific material and surface of the VRM and how small you can get the spot size typically IR thermometers are not designed to read tiny spots and it should say on it somewhere how this spot size increases with distance. The quickest way to try to compensate is to stick some masking tape on the VRM to measure it then if it reads much hotter then your getting a more expected reading. (Don't forget the masking tape actually reduces the actual surface temperature by insulating the VRM a bit but the 0.92 emissivity will be much better than an unknown metallic surface)

As others have said just touch the actual VRM bits with your finger if it burns it is hotter than ~45degC and if it does not burn then it is colder. It if really burns then it is likely >60degC. (Beware of ESD obviously) Also the coils (gray/metallic, ferrite) will likely be cooler than the actual switching ICs which are smaller black encapsulated chips very close to the coils (typically labelled with a Q## on the PCB silkscreen).

Most VRMs probably run quite hot and unlike a processor they can usually survive temperatures even at 105+degC max. (That would burn really bad if you touched something that hot). Don't forget with human temperature metallic parts (coils, leads, tabs) will feel hotter than plastic parts (chips) even at the same temperature as you only sense the heat flow not actual temperature. The 45degC comes from the fact that above this temperature human proteins will get cooked and this will cause pain.

Also looking at the PCB back is going to give very hard to interpret readings as the thermal resistances will make it difficult to determine the actual VRM temperature. This is on top of the emissivity problems a metallized PCB will have.

With a fan blowing directly onto the VRM area they are likely getting enough cooling even without a heatsink directly on them. The PCB itself is a sort of metal heatsink and the fans will cool it down accordingly.

@Roawoao

Thank you very much. That explained a lot!