iPad Pro 9.7 has lower clocked CPU and only 2GB RAM compared to 12.9 inch model

asim1999

Although the new 9.7 inch iPad Pro is superior to the 2015 12 inch iteration in some regards, including better cameras and display, it appears the raw processor is not as identical as Apple implied in its presentation. Although both models have an A9X processor, the 9.7 inch version actually has half the RAM and a slightly-lower clock speed CPU (via @panzer). Whilst the big iPad Pro has 4 GB RAM, the 9.7 inch iPad Pro has just 2 GB like the iPhone 6s.

As shown in the tweet, Geekbench reports 2 GB RAM and marginally slower clock speed. This results in a Geekbench score of 3022, consequently lower than what the 12.9 inch iPad Pro achieves on average.

Matthew Panzarino, TechCrunch Editor-in-Chief, has also confirmed that the iPhone SE also features 2 GB RAM. This is largely unsurprisingly and matches expectations that the A9 chip in the SE mirrors theiPhone 6s internals.

The 2 GB RAM technical specs for the iPad Pro may disappoint some people. The 9.7 inch iPad Pro does better the 12 inch version in some respects. It features a 12-megapixel rear camera, 5 megapixel front camera, 4K video recording and Live Photos. The 12.9 inch iPad Pro includes inferior camera components.

FYI, the smaller iPad Pro scores around 10% lower in Geekbench 3, with a single core score of 3022 and multicore of 5107. In comparison, i benchmarked my 12.9 inch iPad Pro and got around 3350 and 5500 on Geekbench,

This is understandable as the 9.7 inch model is cheaper and has a smaller battery

Source:http://9to5mac.com/2016/03/22/9-7-inch-ipad-pro-includes-2-gb-ram-slightly-slower-cpu-than-12-9-inch-ipad-pro/

Your thoughts?

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

So it's literally another fucking iPad Air with a better camera.

Yeah, better camera, higher quality screen (albeit with same resolution) and quad speakers 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

This makes the Surface 3 [and even Surface Pro 4] an even better no-brainer. 

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

Just now, Crazy Ginger said:

I also saw that the smaller iPad pro only has USB 2.0 support while the bigger one supports USB 3.0...

Link please?

Well it seems that is Apple's justification for a $200 increase for the 12.9 inch model 

Kinda happy i got mine cheap and only had to pay £40 more than the 9.7 inch equivalent (128GB Model) 

5 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

So it's literally another fucking iPad Air with a better camera.

So it's literally another fucking iPad Air with a better camera, which is sticking out of the f*ing back ...

3 minutes ago, Crazy Ginger said:

I also saw that the smaller iPad pro only has USB 2.0 support while the bigger one supports USB 3.0...

which IMHO doesn't really matter. I haven't connected my 128GB Air 2 even once to transfer files anyway ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

8 minutes ago, Kherm said:

This makes the Surface 3 [and even Surface Pro 4] an even better no-brainer. 

How do you even compare RAM requirement of iOS and full Windows. Something that's a bit comparable is android in which iOS handles 2GB miles better than android

1 minute ago, RedRound2 said:

How do you even compare RAM requirement of iOS and full Windows. Something that's a bit comparable is android in which iOS handles 2GB miles better than android

While you're absolutely right, isn't the ipad pro as a line slated to be a competitor of the surface pro? 

2 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

While you're absolutely right, isn't the ipad pro as a line slated to be a competitor of the surface pro? 

no, it was said to be a different product for different uses, says Tim Cook. 

Probably after they thought "Shit! We could have put OSX on this!"

I used to be quite active here.

4 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

no, it was said to be a different product for different uses, says Tim Cook. 

Probably after they thought "Shit! We could have put OSX on this!"

So... What is its use case? @RedRound2

2 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

So... What is its use case?

None. Anything it can offer can be done 100s of times more reliably from a drawing tablet pc. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

8 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

iOS and Windows are very different. Instead of cramming MacOS into the iPad thereby literally breaking everything (like windows 8) apple's turning iOS into a more powerful OS which they've been working years on from ground up. Right now iOS can definitely replace a PC for doing tasks like basic productivity, web browsing and content consumption (& creation in small ways) while being much much much more resource efficient than a windows computer ever could. And they're building on this

So it means nothing to compare RAM of an iOS device and windows laptop when the end result remains the same 

Just now, RedRound2 said:

Not my point.

As a product, is the iPad Pro meant to compete with the Surface Pro?

Who does Apple target with the iPad Pro?

2 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

None. Anything it can offer can be done 100s of times more reliably from a drawing tablet pc. 

Well the folks at disney disagree. Apple pencil has been by far the best stylus in the market and I'm pretty sure its really close to wacom tablets

12 hours ago, JoeyDM said:

Not my point.

As a product, is the iPad Pro meant to compete with the Surface Pro?

Who does Apple target with the iPad Pro?

Currently IMO only artists. But it's just a first generation device and it has a lot of headroom to become much more powerful potentially making it great for buisnesses

3 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Well the folks at disney disagree. Apple pencil has been by far the best stylus in the market and I'm pretty sure its really close to wacom tablets

Not sure if thats true, but if it is, the IOS platform just doesnt have the software to make it viable for the market (I believe) its vying for. Also, haing held one, its way too thin for how large it is. But thats a personal opinion

Currently IMO only artists. But it's just a first generation device and it has a lot of headroom to become much more powerful potentially making it great for buisnes's

I completely understand first-gen devices. They are partially a beta-test, no matter the company. They are necessary.

So does this CURRENTLY have anything to offer artists that may entice them to leave their Wacom Tablets?

1 minute ago, JoeyDM said:

I completely understand first-gen devices. They are partially a beta-test, no matter the company. They are necessary.

So does this CURRENTLY have anything to offer artists that may entice them to leave their Wacom Tablets?

IMO, if you have just a regular drawing tablet, depends on your software needs.

But if you already have a pc drawing tablet, then the software just isnt there to justify the cost and change of ecosystem.

24 minutes ago, asim1999 said:

Link please?

Well it seems that is Apple's justification for a $200 increase for the 12.9 inch model 

Kinda happy i got mine cheap and only had to pay £40 more than the 9.7 inch equivalent (128GB Model) 

I'm curious as to why someone would buy a 12.9 inch tablet. Is it just for fun? Would make an awesome entertainment device but I can't think of many other practical uses. 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

4 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

You don't need a computer, its easier to work closely together, better collaboration, plenty of third party support, a great hub for app innovation and portable. Artists can doodle something on the train if that's when get a click

You don't need a computer, its easier to work closely together, better collaboration, plenty of third party support, a great hub for app innovation and portable. Artists can doodle something on the train if that's when get a click

How do they not need a computer? Wont some? Is the full Adobe Suite on there, or just a partial suite? 

So how is this better than a Wacom Tablet?

The only advantage I see here is the attempt to unify the editing station and the drawing pad, but if it doesn't support the full adobe suite then it hasn't succeeded quite yet. But again, first generation.

So you could see it eventually being the de facto device of choice for illustrators?

2 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

https://www.wacom.com/en-us/store/pen-displays/cintiq-companion-2-64-gb

Wacom has better options where you can use established, industry standard apps. Along with the decades worth of the windows ecosystem. At current the ipad pro cant compete.

So really the answer is, CURRENTLY, no. 

Just now, JoeyDM said:

How do they not need a computer? Wont some? Is the full Adobe Suite on there, or just a partial suite? 

So how is this better than a Wacom Tablet?

The only advantage I see here is the attempt to unify the editing station and the drawing pad, but if it doesn't support the full adobe suite then it hasn't succeeded quite yet. But again, first generation.

So you could see it eventually being the de facto device of choice for illustrators?

For now you can do enough for a detailed illustration which is then easily transferable to the full adobe suite. So right now the iPad Pro can easily eliminate need of PC till the last step

Well, quad speakers is nice. Having used an ipad air 2, watching movies kinda sucks cuz the sound is from only one side... I end up trying to cup the speakers with my hand to direct the sound towards me.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS