Upgrade Plan Opinions Wanted

So, I'm looking at upgrading my system, building it around a new GPU. Using a higher-end GPU than my current (junk) one will require a bigger PSU, and for me, a bigger case. I plan on using this rig (maybe) for video editing, casual games, upcoming games such as No Man's Sky, and office/school work. So:

My current system: MicroATX mobo (no clue what specifically, bought system used), 12 GB RAM, PNY GeForce GT 610 (stupid impulse purchase at best buy when I was younger and less informed), tiny workstation MicroATX/ITX case, 250W PSU, Intel i5-2400 3.1GHz, 1080p 60hz monitor

Planned Upgrade bits: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB, 1216MHz core, 1279MHz boost (originally planned on an Asus 4GB Strix, but pricing change put it out of my range [barely]), Fractal Design Define R4 Case, *Refurbished* Corsair CS650M 650W Modular PSU

Links:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487154 --GPU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139135 --PSU

(Case off Amazon)

The reason I changed from the Strix and an overall ultra-quiet build was that the merchant's unanticipated high shipping rate, and lower overall price. So, what do you guys think? Should I hold out until the Strix goes on some sort of sale again, or just go ahead with the above parts? Also, should I try to go for a new PSU rather than the refurbished one? Let me know!

I think that you should wait for new GPUs. You may get something more powerfull with less power requirement for the same price possibly. (If you are willing to wait about 2-4 months).

If you dont want to wait then I would suggest you to take R9 380(x) instead of GTX 960 as those tend to perform better in most games while they usualy cost less or the same.

And yes, there is also mini version.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202151&cm_re=sapphire_R9_380-_-14-202-151-_-Product

PSU:

this one is quite a lot better from the one you picked up

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013

Thanks! I actually hadn't even thought of Team Red! I'll look into it.

Also- Does VRAM matter that much whether it's 2 or 4GB? Just wondering if it makes a big difference or not.

4 minutes ago, Lukerative said:

Also- Does VRAM matter that much whether it's 2 or 4GB? Just wondering if it makes a big difference or not.

If you play on 1080p it doesent matter that much but some games now days can take advantage of more than 2GB of VRAM when you increase the texture details in the game. Also especialy if you mod some games it can be quite VRAM demanding. Most games will however run fine anywas. Personaly though I would go with 4GB minimum for this day and age as games are getting more demanding.

That said. If you dont need small form factor GPU I would suggest you to pick normal size with 4GB. There are R9 380s with 4GB VRAM.

Yeah, the Fractal R4 is a supports 400-something mm cards, so full-size cards aren't a problem with that. I'm just concerned with long-term usability for more demanding games, while sticking to the most bang-for-your-buck products. Speaking of which, what clock speeds should I aim for, and what other GPUs do you think I should consider?

10 hours ago, Lukerative said:

Yeah, the Fractal R4 is a supports 400-something mm cards, so full-size cards aren't a problem with that. I'm just concerned with long-term usability for more demanding games, while sticking to the most bang-for-your-buck products. Speaking of which, what clock speeds should I aim for, and what other GPUs do you think I should consider?

I have R4 too.. there is literaly no problem with any GPU in that case.

Clock speeds doesent matter, performance does. You cant directly compare R9 380 1000MHz to GTX 960 1000MHz for example as they are totaly different architectures.

Generaly R9 380 beats GTX 960 in most games. There is R9 380x which is about $20-$40 more expensive than the R9 380 but is barely any faster. If possible I would suggest you to pick R9 290 as these are about 40% faster than those mentioned above or if this is not available then R9 390 if your budget allows it (also about 40-50% more performance than R9 380(x), GTX 960).

The thing with R9 390 vs R9 380 is that while you pay about 20-30% more you get about 40-50% more performance which is definitely worth it if you can afford it. If not, stick with 4GB R9 380(x).

Ok, I'll look into it. Also, is the PSU you linked to meant to replace my current one or the refurbished 650W model?

Ok, so here's my new GPU side-by-side (All are 4 GB) PowerColor PCS+ R9 380, GIGABYTE R9 380, GIGABYTE GTX 960 Mini ITX OC EDITION, and EVGA GTX 960 SC GAMING.  [link]

They're all in my price range, $180-$200, all 4GB and capable of 4K, with two of each architecture. From the comparisons I've looked at, it looks like the R9 380 does have more shading and texture capability, but does draw more power. At this point, I really don't see a big difference between the two except clock speeds, power draw, and number of stream processors.

So... any final input? Are there any announced/upcoming GPUs that you know about that might affect this lineup? Let me know!