Is 6 hours of SOT good?

smeek14
Go to solution Solved by westonb27,
1 hour ago, smeek14 said:

Hey, I recently purchased a smartphone.  I get about 6 hours of screen on time from a single charge with brightness all the way up and wifi/location enabled.  Is this considered good compared to other smartphones?

Congrats on the nice SOT #humblebrag :)

Hey, I recently purchased a smartphone.  I get about 6 hours of screen on time from a single charge with brightness all the way up and wifi/location enabled.  Is this considered good compared to other smartphones?

Yeah I would say it isn't too bad. I still have many things to learn about phones, but I think the max for a phone was around ~8 hours for on screen time if I'm not mistaken. 

SOT means nothing unless you are actually doing something with the phone at the time.

My Nexus 6 can get 6 hours of SOT on wifi with location and bluetooth on with a fairly medium use case (a few hours of youtube, imgur, reddit, a few calls and a lot of hangouts messages) Though now that I am on Android N preview the battery life isn't nearly as good

If you have a medium workload than I would say that 6 hours SOT is really good.

It would help if you posted screen shots and also told us what kind of phone you had :)

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

7 minutes ago, Rolfejc said:

Yeah I would say it isn't too bad. I still have many things to learn about phones, but I think the max for a phone was around ~8 hours for on screen time if I'm not mistaken. 

It all depends on what you are doing with the phone. SOT means next to nothing without context.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

1 minute ago, beebskadoo said:

It all depends on what you are doing with the phone. SOT means next to nothing without context.

Good point. 

4 minutes ago, beebskadoo said:

SOT means nothing unless you are actually doing something with the phone at the time.

My Nexus 6 can get 6 hours of SOT on wifi with location and bluetooth on with a fairly medium use case (a few hours of youtube, imgur, reddit, a few calls and a lot of hangouts messages) Though now that I am on Android N preview the battery life isn't nearly as good

If you have a medium workload than I would say that 6 hours SOT is really good.

It would help if you posted screen shots and also told us what kind of phone you had :)

OK.  I have a Galaxy s7 edge.  I am watching YouTube and Web browsing, playing games, looking at news.  Generic smartphone things :)

1 minute ago, smeek14 said:

OK.  I have a Galaxy s7 edge.  I am watching YouTube and Web browsing, playing games, looking at news.  Generic smartphone things :)

yeah that seems pretty good considering your workload. Though be aware that Samsung has a history of releasing Android updates that significantly decrease battery life for their phones. Hopefully this changes with the S7 and S7 Edge but time will tell :)

Hail Sithis!

1 hour ago, smeek14 said:

Congrats on the nice SOT #humblebrag :)