Protecting $3000 (Software)

So i've been wondering, if i build a $3000 PC, money which i starved myself every lunched to get, (as well as from other means), if i spend a lot of money on building a PC, how do i protect it, and what's the best way to protect it. I have a Laptop which i've bought McAfee Internet and Anti-Virus Protection Software on, yet i still get a Crap-ton of Adware with the computer voice warning me not to buy things online until i call the 1-800 number in Which an Indian Guy picks up (Ahem..)

Even with the "protection" on my computer i still don't feel safe, i feel there is something i'm missing. I'm aware Viruses/Hackers can migrate from one Device on a Network to another, so im not sure if to install an Anti-Virus on my Router (if that's even Possible) or Just protect the 3 Backends that i would need maximum protection on.(my desktop, my laptop, and my phone)..

Sooo yea, what's the best service, how do i protect my devices from hackers/Viruses/Adware. EVERYTHING, Not gonna cheap out on this, what does Linus use to Protect his Computers, anything to prevent those pesky ads/Spyware/Virus and Hackers from getting in my 3 Devices and get the most Speed out of that sexy 16gb of DDR4 RAM, I7-6700K and 3TB of HardDrive Space

---UtterMayhem

Ask me About the Signature 

Spoiler

It's a new Comic Series my team and I are working on.

Here are Sneak Peaks of it: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7qk86iyvbp2wce6/AABFjOL1Yp2bQG7xruxuVToTa?dl=0

Honestly, the best way to protect yourself from all the shit floating around on the web is user awareness. Know what sites you're using and what you're downloading, simple as that. Anti virus can only do so much 

3 minutes ago, Utter_Mayhem said:

So i've been wondering, if i build a $3000 PC, money which i starved myself every lunched to get, (as well as from other means), if i spend a lot of money on building a PC, how do i protect it, and what's the best way to protect it. I have a Laptop which i've bought McAfee Internet and Anti-Virus Protection Software on, yet i still get a Crap-ton of Adware with the computer voice warning me not to buy things online until i call the 1-800 number in Which an Indian Guy picks up (Ahem..)

Even with the "protection" on my computer i still don't feel safe, i feel there is something i'm missing. I'm aware Viruses/Hackers can migrate from one Device on a Network to another, so im not sure if to install an Anti-Virus on my Router (if that's even Possible) or Just protect the 3 Backends that i would need maximum protection on.(my desktop, my laptop, and my phone)..

Sooo yea, what's the best service, how do i protect my devices from hackers/Viruses/Adware. EVERYTHING, Not gonna cheap out on this, what does Linus use to Protect his Computers, anything to prevent those pesky ads/Spyware/Virus and Hackers from getting in my 3 Devices and get the most Speed out of that sexy 16gb of DDR4 RAM, I7-6700K and 3TB of HardDrive Space

i use norton, people bash it all the time, i used to go on sketchy sites all the time and still havent gotten a single virus in the 4 years ive had the service, it covers up to 3 devices and is like 70$ or something ? i use it on my two computers and split the cost and give a copy to my mom

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

4 minutes ago, Utter_Mayhem said:

ninja'd

Don't download random shit, and maybe get Avast/Malwarebytes to run at schedules times. I've never gotten a virus on my desktop in all 3/4 years of having it just by using common sense and not downloading from fishy sites. A lot of people on the forum also swear by not running any AV at all. Also if you're torrenting be extra careful.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Just now, TechFnatic said:

Honestly, the best way to protect yourself from all the shit floating around on the web is user awareness. Know what sites you're using and what you're downloading, simple as that. Anti virus can only do so much 

While i am a very Agile and Aware Clicker, i don't even click screenshots from Forums that i trust, yet i somehow still get these nasty Adware/Spyware

---UtterMayhem

Spoiler

Here are Sneak Peaks of it: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7qk86iyvbp2wce6/AABFjOL1Yp2bQG7xruxuVToTa?dl=0

1 minute ago, Utter_Mayhem said:

While i am a very Agile and Aware Clicker, i don't even click screenshots from Forums that i trust, yet i somehow still get these nasty Adware/Spyware

try and download adblock if you havent, stops all the popups and websites

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

Have you installed random browser extensions? A lot of them will hijack your new tab and homepage as well as give you popups. I got one once by accident on my laptop and had to completely nuke Chrome and reinstall it before it went away not even Adwcleaner could help for some reason.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

7 minutes ago, Utter_Mayhem said:

Get rid of mcafee, get avast or avg and malwarebytes anti-malware.

Don't click on sketchy shit.

It's really not that hard to keep adware and that shit off your computer, I've been running avast, malwarebytes, and common sense for the past 5+ years and have never had an issue with adware, viruses, etc..

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

i have never been using any antiviruses etc apart from windows defender i guess.
It's all about how smart you are on the interwebz.. don't just click on everything, and check what you are doing with you check boxes while u r installing apps for your PC. 

In general, be a smart internet user, use common sense, and you should be fine!

2 minutes ago, 1823alex said:

3 minutes ago, Midnitewarrior4 said:

3 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

All Great Suggestion, Took a COuple of Things OUt of THese

- AdBlock, 

- Don't Download Random Shit/ Browser Extension (like the JOHN CENA!!! thing i have on my chrome right now.. lol dont ask me why i allow my browser to play "AND HIS NAME IS JOHN CENA"  when i randomly load any page.. xD)

- And a Really Good Anti-badstuffWare

---UtterMayhem

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, Tiso said:

i have never been using any antiviruses etc apart from windows defender i guess.
It's all about how smart you are on the interwebz.. don't just click on everything, and check what you are doing with you check boxes while u r installing apps for your PC. 

In general, be a smart internet user, use common sense, and you should be fine!

13 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

16 minutes ago, 1823alex said:

17 minutes ago, Midnitewarrior4 said:

17 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Happened again.... :/

Screenshot 2016-03-20 at 8.58.02 PM.png

---UtterMayhem

Spoiler

Happened again.... :/

Screenshot 2016-03-20 at 8.58.02 PM.png

Start by getting rid of some of those chrome extensions.... I see the same thing in there three times, no way you need all those extensions.

Also, work on your trolling skills. :P

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

The best protection is being concious about visiting sites and opening e-mails that may be malicious. 

Other than that, I've used ESET Smart Security for years and found it to be subtle, but effective. 

AVG or malwarebytes. Avast is decent but sometimes people have problems with it so steer clear.

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

Don't click all the stuff you see, especially any ads on wierd pages. Use a decent browser (chrome, firefox) that can detect some of the major threats. No antivirus or similar software will completely save you from your own ignorance or unawareness.

A first thing to know is that a virus is a harmful program and hacker is a person who gets access to your system.