Less Expensive 2 Gamers 1 CPU Rig

AndreeVs

Hello guys, lurker here.

I just pulled the gun on a 5820k and an asus x99-pro. I did do some planning before hand. However, I did get these with a pretty hefty discount from friends that work at Frys electronics and I couldn't resist - I'm not crazy, I swear.

Currently I'm running on an 4690k with a Corsair h100i GTX on an MSI G45 Gaming board and 16gbs of ram. I have a single 980 for Player 1, an mia 750 TI for Player 2, and an 650 TI for the unraid server.

Since I'll be running on a 5820k I plan on splitting the cores 5/5/2 or 4/4/4, whichever you guys think is best. I have a single Intel 730 480gb SSD and single Seagate 2tb Barracuda. I plan on getting another 730 480gb, What Linus did for his HDD selection worries me a bit. I only have the one HDD I'd rather not use an HDD for the OS. I want my OS to be installed on my SSD. I don't mind the unraid server to go on the HDD but I still want my OS to load on my super fast SSD. Is there a way to work around that or am I limited only to an HDD, and if that's the case will I need two? with a minimum of 3tbs each? What do you guys think is the best solution for this or am I misunderstanding something from the whole set up?

From the 2 Gamer, 1 CPU - Virtualized Build Log thread the guys there question Linus on the use of a $60~120 Lime tech software when there is a free copy of KVM. The thread there seemed pretty dead which is why I came to this side of town. I don't know how to get this free copy of KVM, and even if I do i'm worried it won't be the same routine as Linus showed. I'm hoping someone with experience will help me out :)

As far as the actual build goes. Here it is:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6fB7cf
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6fB7cf/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Motherboard: Asus X99-PRO/USB 3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($68.99 @ Adorama) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($68.99 @ Adorama) 
Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($272.88 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Power Supply: EVGA 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Full (32/64-bit)  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Monitor: Asus PB258Q 60Hz 25.0" Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Monitor: Asus PB258Q 60Hz 25.0" Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Total: $410.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-20 16:17 EDT-0400

I do plan on selling the parts I won't use and hunting down the ram in r/buildapcsales and r/hardwareswap. For my ram selection, do you think it's a good one? That's basically what I'll be aiming to get. I was hoping for 3000mhz but for 32gbs it would hurt :(.

Well that should be it for now. Can't really think of any questions or concerns. Please comment/reply/whateva :) I look forward to hearing from you guys!~

29 minutes ago, AndreeVs said:

You could have just built 2 mid range gaming rigs for that budget.

if you wanted a truly less expensive 2 gamers 1 CPU rig, you coulda gone with an FX 8 core

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

22 hours ago, Streetguru said:

You could have just built 2 mid range gaming rigs for that budget.

if you wanted a truly less expensive 2 gamers 1 CPU rig, you coulda gone with an FX 8 core

I've actually been upgrading my rig since I first built it 5 years ago. I been reselling the parts and buying new parts whenever I was able to get them at such a low cost. Like right now I just bought a 32gb kit Hyperx Fury 2666mhz from Officedepot at 100$.  I went with a 5820k not only because I got a good deal on it, but also because Linus really impressed me with his built. But I can't afford a 5930x.

22 hours ago, mikat said:

split the cores 6/5/1 since the unraid server doesn't need a whole core i think

I'll definitely give it a shot.