Headset cord is broken! PLEASE HELP!

Ryuhayabusa132
Go to solution Solved by Un4tural,

essentially the wires are inside the plastic insulation, then insulated again - coated with enamel, sort of like paint, so they don't short out between each other inside the cable, because audio cables like stereo, have 3 little wires inside the plastic insulation, one for left channel, one for right and one for ground. it sends electric impulses to headset using them and that's how you get sound.

What you need to do is use a soldering iron with some flux (it is used to remove oxidation and clean the cables, strips the coating on the tiny little wires inside too) then solder them using your solder of choice. i've provided pictures, so you can see what the headphones look on the inside, those are just stereo + mic, i assumed yours are too. anyways thats what i suggested you do, the cable being cut, you'll need to clean and put some solder on each of the little colored wires inside and solder them to corresponding ones on the other end, then insulate each from one another with some tape presumably and you'll need to secure it all with something like hot glue, because otherwise they'll just get torn apart very easily (each of the tiny strands has a fiber inside it to give it strength because copper wire in itself isn't resistant to being torn apart)

plan B would be depending on  where the tear is also a lot cleaner, to open the headset like you see in my photos and solder the tiny little wires directly to where they used to be, that would make your headphones cable shorter, however make it look clean and be stronger, because it wouldn't have a massive weak point in the middle of it, where the joint would be if you chose to splice the wires together.`

PM me your skype if you want and ill explain what you're missing, or discord or something.

if you dont mind it being ugly you can just cut that part of the wire out and strip and reattach the wires

attachment.php?attachmentid=77958&stc=1&

you dont even need to solder if you dont know how, just twist the correct wires together and cover them with tape

twist_wire.jpg

solder_gps_connection.jpg

PIC-2.jpg

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

if you dont mind it being ugly you can just cut that part of the wire out and strip and reattach the wires

attachment.php?attachmentid=77958&stc=1&

you dont even need to solder if you dont know how, just twist the correct wires together and cover them with tape

twist_wire.jpg

solder_gps_connection.jpg

PIC-2.jpg

I'm stuck on the part where you need to connect the white tubes together. http://imgur.com/a/Vos5Z thats how they look.

14 minutes ago, Ryuhayabusa132 said:

I'm stuck on the part where you need to connect the white tubes together. http://imgur.com/a/Vos5Z thats how they look.

is there metal inside the tubes or is it just empty?

pretty sure there should be a wire in there

the shielding that is around it (the thin copper wires) need to be unwound and all twisted together

then you can strip the inner wire

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

is there metal inside the tubes or is it just empty?

pretty sure there should be a wire in there

the shielding that is around it (the thin copper wires) need to be unwound and all twisted together

then you can strip the inner wire

its not empty there is some few very small wires in there aswell. 

Just now, Ryuhayabusa132 said:

its not empty there is some few very small wires in there aswell. 

yeah well anything thats in there also needs to be reattached

Spoiler

57 minutes ago, Enderman said:

yeah well anything thats in there also needs to be reattached

I peeled of the white plastic from both ends of the cable and stringed them together aswell. But it's still not working. I dont understand I tried to string the cables together 3 times(which I did succesfully) and there is still no sound...

3 minutes ago, Ryuhayabusa132 said:

I peeled of the white plastic from both ends of the cable and stringed them together aswell. But it's still not working. I dont understand I tried to string the cables together 3 times(which I did succesfully) and there is still no sound...

can you post a pic of what it looks like right now with all the wires attached?

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Enderman said:

can you post a pic of what it looks like right now with all the wires attached?

I really appreciate your help mate. This is really frustrating and I'm really confused right now, and tired..here is the pic http://imgur.com/a/4ycnB. I don't mind sending more pics as long there is a chance of fixing it, 

1 minute ago, Ryuhayabusa132 said:

I really appreciate your help mate. This is really frustrating and I'm really confused right now, and tired..here is the pic http://imgur.com/a/4ycnB. I don't mind sending more pics as long there is a chance of fixing it, 

you did strip the wires before twisting them together, right?

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I dont think that there is any plastic thingis covering the wires (beside the white one). The rest looks like the wires in the first pic you posted. Just plain wires without any covers...I think...-infact,I will open it again and check if I forgot to strip the wires(if there is any)..

22 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You cant strip them. 

1 minute ago, Ryuhayabusa132 said:

You cant strip them. 

what do you mean

why not

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

what do you mean

why not

because there is nothing to strip. The wire itself is green-looking and another one is red-looking.

8 minutes ago, Ryuhayabusa132 said:

because there is nothing to strip. The wire itself is green-looking and another one is red-looking.

the green and red is the plastic surrounding the wire

which is why you need to strip it....

electricity does not flow through plastic

you need to attach the metal that is INSIDE the plastic

P1030853.JPG

Spoiler

41 minutes ago, Enderman said:

the green and red is the plastic surrounding the wire

which is why you need to strip it....

electricity does not flow through plastic

you need to attach the metal that is INSIDE the plastic

P1030853.JPG

this is what they look closeup http://imgur.com/a/vRMXb

When I put them together like this http://imgur.com/srhQw8O and push them in I hear sound. But I try to string them together there is no sound. There is obviously something wrong im doing here.

ok amateur hour here,

The wires are enamel or similar goop coated(as far as i've seen all headphone cables are), need to strip that, best use decent flux with a soldering iron(i use mg chemicals, it works perfectly fine don't even notice the coating is there) . posted not too long ago looking if anyone knew any retailers that sell these cables, but closes you can get is a TRRS aux cable that has 4 cores, 1ground 1speaker left and right sound. Fixed mine up and they work no problem now, however getting decent cables for replacement, well might as well be picking my nose hoping to find gold.

attached for reference, i used an extension cable i had from another set of headphones, not same but close enough.

usually as you see in pic, mic red is live and copper color is ground, red/green twisted is the ground for other, blue is left and green is right channel, but make note of these as different cables might use different color coding. 

It really is a pain in the butt nobody seems to carry these cables though, by the looks of it they expect people to just toss their 100$+ headphones in the bin if they snag the cable on something.

you can do same thing just inline the cable, getting more of a blob on cable result (consult attached photos) that's my mouse cable, it slightly caught fire once due to my stupidity.

just to make sure it's clear, without stripping the coating on the wires, it won't work as it is insulation. if you do solder them together make sure each joint is insulated from all the other ones. 

if you'd cover the shipping costs i can solder them together, but keep in mind it'll likely be a weak point, as if you look closely the wires have fibres in them, that's what keeps the relatively weak copper from easily being pulled apart, also the kind of blob as pictured is best i can do with tools i have, so it's best to chop the cable open up headset and solder there as i did to my headphones.

Bid you good luck, if there's any more question i'll gladly answer.

20160318_220459.jpg

20160309_203746.jpg

20160318_221246.jpg

On 2016-03-18 at 11:21 PM, Un4tural said:

ok amateur hour here,

The wires are enamel or similar goop coated(as far as i've seen all headphone cables are), need to strip that, best use decent flux with a soldering iron(i use mg chemicals, it works perfectly fine don't even notice the coating is there) . posted not too long ago looking if anyone knew any retailers that sell these cables, but closes you can get is a TRRS aux cable that has 4 cores, 1ground 1speaker left and right sound. Fixed mine up and they work no problem now, however getting decent cables for replacement, well might as well be picking my nose hoping to find gold.

attached for reference, i used an extension cable i had from another set of headphones, not same but close enough.

usually as you see in pic, mic red is live and copper color is ground, red/green twisted is the ground for other, blue is left and green is right channel, but make note of these as different cables might use different color coding. 

It really is a pain in the butt nobody seems to carry these cables though, by the looks of it they expect people to just toss their 100$+ headphones in the bin if they snag the cable on something.

you can do same thing just inline the cable, getting more of a blob on cable result (consult attached photos) that's my mouse cable, it slightly caught fire once due to my stupidity.

just to make sure it's clear, without stripping the coating on the wires, it won't work as it is insulation. if you do solder them together make sure each joint is insulated from all the other ones. 

if you'd cover the shipping costs i can solder them together, but keep in mind it'll likely be a weak point, as if you look closely the wires have fibres in them, that's what keeps the relatively weak copper from easily being pulled apart, also the kind of blob as pictured is best i can do with tools i have, so it's best to chop the cable open up headset and solder there as i did to my headphones.

Bid you good luck, if there's any more question i'll gladly answer.

20160318_220459.jpg

20160309_203746.jpg

20160318_221246.jpg

Yup, I am going to be honest here I didnt understand that. Could you please explain again? Explain like if your explaining to a little child XD, 

essentially the wires are inside the plastic insulation, then insulated again - coated with enamel, sort of like paint, so they don't short out between each other inside the cable, because audio cables like stereo, have 3 little wires inside the plastic insulation, one for left channel, one for right and one for ground. it sends electric impulses to headset using them and that's how you get sound.

What you need to do is use a soldering iron with some flux (it is used to remove oxidation and clean the cables, strips the coating on the tiny little wires inside too) then solder them using your solder of choice. i've provided pictures, so you can see what the headphones look on the inside, those are just stereo + mic, i assumed yours are too. anyways thats what i suggested you do, the cable being cut, you'll need to clean and put some solder on each of the little colored wires inside and solder them to corresponding ones on the other end, then insulate each from one another with some tape presumably and you'll need to secure it all with something like hot glue, because otherwise they'll just get torn apart very easily (each of the tiny strands has a fiber inside it to give it strength because copper wire in itself isn't resistant to being torn apart)

plan B would be depending on  where the tear is also a lot cleaner, to open the headset like you see in my photos and solder the tiny little wires directly to where they used to be, that would make your headphones cable shorter, however make it look clean and be stronger, because it wouldn't have a massive weak point in the middle of it, where the joint would be if you chose to splice the wires together.`

PM me your skype if you want and ill explain what you're missing, or discord or something.