Give me the ok to start buying?

Dismien

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PrqPt6

Put together my first gaming pc. after a while of researching I think im finally done. I would just like a second opinion before i start purchasing the parts. so is everything ok? is the power supply enough for the build or is there too much?

The aim for the build is modding fallout4/skyrim , triple a games and school. Thank you for your help!!

The PSU is crap. Get a SeaSonic or XFX PSU instead.

R9 380>GTX 960 in terms of gaming performance. Try to get the 4GB variant for modding.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

I love Thermaltake's cases, fans, even some of their coolers are solid, but their PSUs are to be avoided like the plague. Look for something from EVGA, Seasonic, XFX, even Corsair (not CX), whatever. Don't cheap out on your PSU, because it's the one component in there that can destroy your entire system.

I'm assuming you already have the 960? If not, consider a 4GB R9 380 or 4GB 960 instead. If you do much texture modding, you'll overwhelm 2GB of VRAM very quickly.

Historically speaking, I've had better luck with internal wifi adapters than USB adapters, but I haven't used a USB adapter in years and things might have changed.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

See if you can get a PNY CS1311 SSD instead. They cost about the same for the capacity, and are newer and faster. The same goes for the new OCZ Trion drives.

The R9 380 performs better than the GTX 960, and 2GB of VRAM is NOT enough for even regular games, let alone modding. I have a 2GB GTX 960, and it holds me back every time I try to mod my game. Try and get the 4GB R9 380 instead.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-r9380p4255

Also, if you're shelling out $39 with the prospect of a rebate (probably $59) why not get this instead? It's a much better power supply from a much more reputable manufacturer,

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii520bronze

i5 12600KF | Zotac RTX 4080 Gaming trinity | Team Vulcan 2x16GB DDR4 3600 | ASRock Z690M-ITX/ac | WD Black SN850x 2TB

Cooler Master NR200P v2 | ID Cooling Zoomflow 280 XT | SeaSonic Focus SGX-750 | Thermalright 2x140mm + 2x120mm aRGB

LG C2 OLED 48" 120hz | Epomaker TH80 (Gateron Yellow) | Logitech MX Master 3 | Koss Porta Pro Comm

I don't trust the power supply or the SSD .

Wattage  being on a safe side id go for 550watt unit , but if your on a budget which i think you are .. I asume you are in the states so. 

I think a Corsair CX430 would work as I figured your system would want around 320 watts from  the psu. 

Corsair CX430 link

as for the SSD you get what you payed for. (cheap price cheap quality)

@Aereldors reccomdation is a solid (better choice, jsut  on the  59 dollar side )

I would not depend on rebates they are a total hassle to  get ,, I'm still waiting on mine a month down the road for something i ordered  in the beginning of February.

Personally I would replace the Network adapter you have with something like a Tp-Link card as cards usually tend to do a lot better compared to USB adapters. 

The parts I already have on hand from a family member is the wifi usb ,gpu , ssd , hdd , and mobo. isnt psu a little too much compared to the overall wattage the build uses. also wouldnt it use much more power?

I also like the corsair and seasonic. which one would be better overall. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026&cm_re=CX430-_-17-139-026-_-Product

1 minute ago, Dismien said:

The parts I already have on hand from a family member is the wifi usb ,gpu , ssd , hdd , and mobo. isnt psu a little too much compared to the overall wattage the build uses. also wouldnt it use much more power?

A PC only takes as much power as if needs. Meaning that a higher wattage PSU will take the same amount of power as a lower wattage one.

The problem with that PSU is the quality. It's crap. Change it out to a much more reliable one from either SeaSonic or XFX. There are not many good PSUs in the category of below 500W.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

i'd seriously reccomend a motherboard with built in wifi, you'll run into a TON less problems with weird driver issues and such. seriously. plus you're limited to USB 2.0 speeds with that adapter.

12 minutes ago, Dismien said:

The SeaSonic is the much, much better PSU.

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, Dismien said:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026&cm_re=CX430-_-17-139-026-_-Product

no

watch it before making another reply.

alll 3

go for a evga, NON-CX corsair psu, xfx psu.

and i dont care if you have the wifi adaptor aready.

get another one.

stop cheaping out.

ESPECIALLY on your psu

13 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

A PC only takes as much power as if needs. Meaning that a higher wattage PSU will take the same amount of power as a lower wattage one.

The problem with that PSU is the quality. It's crap. Change it out to a much more reliable one from either SeaSonic or XFX. There are not many good PSUs in the category of below 500W.

always just link them to the videos

22 minutes ago, Dismien said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BBxRjX

30 minutes ago, Toxicknight79 said:

I don't trust the power supply or the SSD .

Wattage  being on a safe side id go for 550watt unit , but if your on a budget which i think you are .. I asume you are in the states so. 

I think a Corsair CX430 would work as I figured your system would want around 320 watts from  the psu. 

Corsair CX430 link

as for the SSD you get what you payed for. (cheap price cheap quality)

@Aereldors reccomdation is a solid (better choice, jsut  on the  59 dollar side )

I would not depend on rebates they are a total hassle to  get ,, I'm still waiting on mine a month down the road for something i ordered  in the beginning of February.

adata ssds are fine

he got that ok

43 minutes ago, Dismien said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PrqPt6

Put together my first gaming pc. after a while of researching I think im finally done. I would just like a second opinion before i start purchasing the parts. so is everything ok? is the power supply enough for the build or is there too much?

The aim for the build is modding fallout4/skyrim , triple a games and school. Thank you for your help!!

what parts do you already own from the link

wifi usb ,gpu , hdd ,and mobo I got from a family member. SSD was about to be bought but it was cancelled since I wanted to check out PNY CS1311

3 minutes ago, Dismien said:

wifi usb ,gpu , hdd ,and mobo I got from a family member. SSD was about to be bought but it was cancelled since I wanted to check out PNY CS1311

the adata is about equiviant to the pny

get the cheaper one.

also, next time you use pcpartspicker, mark items you already have

did you watch the videos?

also, whats the budget, excluding items you have.

are you paying for the items from your family?

or no?

6 minutes ago, Dismien said:

this might not seem like much difference but I think  in my opinion you should just spring for 16 gb dual channel ram kit .  the dual channels   provides a  speed advantage,,, I know its more expensive and i get your  logic here buy one 8gb stick now then add another later.  but , i dunno i say do it right the first time. its just food for thought

1 minute ago, Toxicknight79 said:

this might not seem like much difference but I think  in my opinion you should just spring for 16 gb dual channel ram kit .  the dual channels   provides a  speed advantage,,, I know its more expensive and i get your  logic here buy one 8gb stick now then add another later.  but , i dunno i say do it right the first time. its just food for thought

Yea i asked about that around other forums as well  , a lot of them were saying I should stick to 8 for now since my budget is low and add it later on. Im aware of the dual channel. 

Just now, Dismien said:

Yea i asked about that around other forums as well  , a lot of them were saying I should stick to 8 for now since my budget is low and add it later on. Im aware of the dual channel. 

yeah  the rule of thumb is The amount of ram comes first, then speed ,  on your budget  and wanting to do 16gb eventually , I get it ,,  was just thinking   that it could benefit you    in the immediate , and I 100%  understand budgeting , so 8gb is fine,  but  like i said food for thought.

5 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

the adata is about equiviant to the pny

get the cheaper one.

also, next time you use pcpartspicker, mark items you already have

did you watch the videos?

also, whats the budget, excluding items you have.

are you paying for the items from your family?

or no?

I saw the videos . budget excluding items should be around 400usd

4 minutes ago, Dismien said:

what is your budget excluding things you already have

Edited by Bajantechnician
posted before reply

I still need to choose a good psu , ram. need to buy the i5 6500 and the case