EVGA GTX 950 SC 3 monitors at once

Me1bourne
Go to solution Solved by ForsakenLive,

You should be able to drive those 3 monitors, even at 4k. Using individual Displayports connectors on the SC.

I've tried 4k on a low power GPU before, and regular tasks, even 4k videos on youtube worked as intended. However, I never tried it with 2x 4k monitors, let alone 3 of them.

1 minute ago, DunePilot said:

Why the heck are you asking about surround then? Since it's only good for games. 

If you simply want a multi monitor set up then use whatever you want. Mix and match monitors... center monitor if you want 4k for some reason and the other monitors 1080p ones. Surround is for gaming, there really isn't much use of any other applications. If you want a workstation style multi monitor set up it would make more sense to use something like ultramon which is a multi monitor manager. 

Do whatever you want.... goodluck. 

DUDE, he NEVER said surround, he just wants a lot of screen real state for regular programs like Skype, excel, web browsing, videos, etc...

Hi guys,

I've recently purchased an EVGA GTX 950 SC (the 1 fan model) Link to evga website

It has 3 DisplayPorts

So my question is, can I run 3 monitors simultaneously using 3 displayports?

For example 3 4k monitors just for usual stuff like youtube/browsing, but ofc not gaming.

Or 3 1080p 144hz monitors.

And there as you see are more ports like hdmi and DVI-I, so for example I can connect 3dp + 1dvi or hdmi? I've heard that if you connect something like dp+dp+dp, hdmi wont work..

Thanks

Looks like you can use 1 DVI and 2 DP or possibly 3 DP. I'd stick with the 1080p surround or a single wide screen format 34" monitor. 

The 950 isn't very powerful so you won't be able to have the best graphical settings in your games but you can still run it. 3 1080 monitors is 75% of 4k so don't be expecting to run GTA 5 on Ultra or anything.... I have a 980Ti and have to turn my settings down to very high to get 90 fps. With all draw distances up and everything on ultra my fps drops into the 40s and a 980Ti is leaps and bounds more powerful than a 950. 

These are wonderful.... no idea why the only ones they have in stock are 1.5 ft long though. I guess they are changing to a new style and that is what the new ones coming in next month are, the thing I like about the monoprice ones are that they are thin and flexible so you can easily route your cables. http://www.monoprice.com/category?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024601

8 minutes ago, DunePilot said:

Looks like you can use 1 DVI and 2 DP or possibly 3 DP. I'd stick with the 1080p surround or a single wide screen format 34" monitor. 

The 950 isn't very powerful so you won't be able to have the best graphical settings in your games but you can still run it. 3 1080 monitors is 75% of 4k so don't be expecting to run GTA 5 on Ultra or anything.... I have a 980Ti and have to turn my settings down to very high to get 90 fps. With all draw distances up and everything on ultra my fps drops into the 40s and a 980Ti is leaps and bounds more powerful than a 950. 

I absolutely understand that It wont handle triple setup for gaming at good settings, question was about running triple 4k for common tasks like multimedia and multitasking while skype and etc.

2 minutes ago, Me1bourne said:

I absolutely understand that It wont handle triple setup for gaming at good settings, question was about running triple 4k for common tasks like multimedia and multitasking while skype and etc.

I think 4k would be a bad move. Even trying to game with a single monitor... which would be your only option when you actually do want to game... you don't have the horsepower to do that. You have the horsepower to run 1080p single monitor with nice setting or in surround 1080p with low settings. But the better option still might be a wide format display. 

3 minutes ago, DunePilot said:

I think 4k would be a bad move. Even trying to game with a single monitor... which would be your only option when you actually do want to game... you don't have the horsepower to do that. You have the horsepower to run 1080p single monitor with nice setting or in surround 1080p with low settings. But the better option still might be a wide format display. 

You dont' hear me, Im trying to say that I'll never game on this gpu. This is more like htpc.

5 minutes ago, Me1bourne said:

You dont' hear me, Im trying to say that I'll never game on this gpu. This is more like htpc.

Why the heck are you asking about surround then? Since it's only good for games. 

If you simply want a multi monitor set up then use whatever you want. Mix and match monitors... center monitor if you want 4k for some reason and the other monitors 1080p ones. Surround is for gaming, there really isn't much use of any other applications. If you want a workstation style multi monitor set up it would make more sense to use something like ultramon which is a multi monitor manager. 

Just now, DunePilot said:

You must be very limited with imagination, if you see surround only good for games.

But yeah, thanks anyway.

You should be able to drive those 3 monitors, even at 4k. Using individual Displayports connectors on the SC.

I've tried 4k on a low power GPU before, and regular tasks, even 4k videos on youtube worked as intended. However, I never tried it with 2x 4k monitors, let alone 3 of them.

1 minute ago, DunePilot said:

DUDE, he NEVER said surround, he just wants a lot of screen real state for regular programs like Skype, excel, web browsing, videos, etc...

2 minutes ago, Me1bourne said:

You must be very limited with imagination, if you see surround only good for games.

But yeah, thanks anyway.

It is... lots more useful to use ultramon for a workstation.

https://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/overview/

7 minutes ago, ForsakenLive said:

Theres only 1 reason to have your outer two monitors 144hz.... if you want to game on them. You don't need 144hz to check your email. 

"Or 3 1080p 144hz monitors."

Thats why I mentioned surround... and that's why I gave him real world scenario and what to expect. If he wants to do nothing but netflix and email then go 4k with a center monitor if you want to. Spending the money for a 4k monitor on the outer two monitors doesn't make a lot of sense either but more power to him if he wants to waste his money.