Remove video card from computer for move?

xentropa

I am moving soon and unfortunately the movers have to handle my computer.  I already removed the HDDs but I am contemplating on taking out the video cards too since I am going to assume my computer will be dropped from a height of 1m or more.  Should I take out the video cards?  Are they sensitive to shock?

2 minutes ago, xentropa said:

I am moving soon and unfortunately the movers have to handle my computer.  I already removed the HDDs but I am contemplating on taking out the video cards too since I am going to assume my computer will be dropped from a height of 1m or more.  Should I take out the video cards?  Are they sensitive to shock?

why do the movers have to touch the computer?

I don't have a car or truck.  I hired a moving company to move all my stuff for me.  I can't take such a huge desktop case with me on the train.

Just now, xentropa said:

I don't have a car or truck.  I hired a moving company to move all my stuff for me.  I can't take such a huge desktop case with me on the train.

are you going to get some type of insurance?

Best thing to do would be to pack it in a padded box and lay it down on it's side so the motherboard is on the bottom. Then mark the box with this way up arrows and write "Do not stack" and of course (Fragile) clearly on the top of the box.

If they ignore the markings then they'll be liable if it gets damaged and you'll be able to put a claim in.

If you think there is a chance of this happening then you may as well take it out - just pop in one of those non conductive bags and carry it yourself, only take a min to reinstall and LTT has a new instructional video about it ;) 

Take it off and carry it with you.

Even if they don't drop it, if the card is heavy, it could break off during the transport itself from the bumps of the road and what not.

And really, if they drop anything, they aren't good movers.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

If its dropped from 1m, mobo will also suffer. If it falls inside well packed box, it will be fine. Bottom line. You can, you could. But when anything electronic is dropped from 1m, it will be in pieces.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 5 weeks later...

just as everybody is saying keep it protected boxing with good padding pull out video cards and keep everything static free with the computer so there is no chance of anything breaking^^

This is the reason I always keep boxes and packaging for my pc parts.  If I have to move my pc I can remove my gpu, store it safely, or if there's a tower cooler, or really anything that I'm worried about not surviving.

If you can remove and store the gpu I would, the rest of the system should be ok with a little handling, but I've never liked the weight hanging off the motherboard bouncing around.

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

Lol I made this thread nearly a month ago.

I drained out the water from liquid cooling, took out the hdds and left everything else in.  It survived.