Sli my 980 or change it for a ti?

mariobros
Go to solution Solved by HKZeroFive,

Wait for Pascal and Polaris if you're itching for an upgrade.

The GTX 980 will handle 1440p perfectly fine for now.

I have a 980 and I found another for 530 or a deal to pay 350 and change for a ti what would be better for 1440p?

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

5 minutes ago, mariobros said:

I have a 980 and I found another for 530 or a deal to pay 350 and change for a ti what would be better for 1440p?

Get a ti.

Or wait for next-gen.

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

If my post helped you, please rate it!

Wait for Pascal/ Polaris but for the future, it's usually better to upgrade then SLI because of compilations of games not working with SLI. You don't need to upgrade though, a 980 is still pretty good.

You know how it is, the cow goes "moo", the dog goes "woof" and the gamer goes "The PvP is unbalanced."

Spoiler

Personal Computer: CPU: i7-4790 Mobo: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Graphics Card: MSI R9-380  Memory: 16GB (8GB x2) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series PSU: Apevia Warlock 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series Storage: 240GB SSD (OS) 3TB HDD (data and such) 500 GB SSD (Movies and Large Data Transfers (I'm constantly moving this one around to other computers))

3 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

How long it will be tho theres almost an year I hear about the pascal

1 minute ago, mariobros said:

may/june for pascal, tho its just rumours

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, mariobros said:

Polaris is supposedly releasing mid-year. Pascal is likely to release this year.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

I would say wait for Pascal and Polaris and then make this decision. 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

Polaris is supposedly releasing mid-year. Pascal is likely to release this year.

I thought about getting the second then just wait for Pascal and if worth it change both for Pascal or just keep it for after

1 minute ago, Orangeator said:

I would say wait for Pascal and Polaris and then make this decision. 

The nice part of waiting is the lower price later

2 minutes ago, MilkJugg24 said:

$350 dollars is now worth the upgrade. Period.

but it would be more worth then the 530 for the SLI? I don`t know with the problems with SLI are common lately because in raw performance it will win

48 minutes ago, mariobros said:

but it would be more worth then the 530 for the SLI? I don`t know with the problems with SLI are common lately because in raw performance it will win

It depends what you're going to use it for...

If you're playing 1080p, a 980ti is beyond overkill. And if you're doing 1440p a 980 is still fine.

Only at 4K would getting either card be worth its value, and even then you can just wait for Polaris/Pascal and get an even greater value for your money.

Even though it's a good deal, I myself would never justify paying that much for 8-10 more FPS gain with the 980ti, unless I'm legit struggling with my fps in ALL games on a single 980. Only then would I consider getting another 980 for an SLI config. And the microstuttering and issues with SLI is not as bad as people make it seem.

If you can manage to sell your old card to get money back then it would collectively be worth its value, but from what I'm looking at you're paying 500+ dollars for 10 more FPS.

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, MilkJugg24 said:

It depends what you're going to use it for...

If you're playing 1080p, a 980ti is beyond overkill. And if you're doing 1440p a 980 is still fine.

Only at 4K would getting either card be worth its value, and even then you can just wait for Polaris/Pascal and get an even greater value for your money.

Even though it's a good deal, I myself would never justify paying that much for 8-10 more FPS gain with the 980ti, unless I'm legit struggling with my fps in ALL games on a single 980. Only then would I consider getting another 980 for an SLI config. And the microstuttering and issues with SLI is not as bad as people make it seem.

If you can manage to sell your old card to get money back then it would collectively be worth its value, but from what I'm looking at you're paying 500+ dollars for 10 more FPS.

Ill try to sell my card and buy a pascal

so....how about hookin your fellow man up to that 980ti?

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

8 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

so....how about hookin your fellow man up to that 980ti?

are you in montreal?

Live just off the beach on the west coast. but maybe someone else will be interested and now they know where to be

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W