Need a strong server for medium sized business

Hello everyone, I run a business of around 35 people and more soon, I need a server that can handle many virtual computers at the same time, and it should have more than 24 TB of space in it.

Please recommend me a build or components that can handle 30+ virtual computers running linux at the same time, I also need a 10 gigabit ethernet port in this server.

If you have any questions you would like answered about them, feel free to ask.

My budget is around 3000 dollars, however I can extend that if this is not possible with this amount of money.

Thanks for reading!

PS: The components needs to be in Europe, I dont want tax on this.

This forum probably isn't the best one to ask questions about enterprise needs, most people here only see things from a consumer view point.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Check Linus's servers. They might have some good things you can pull out :)

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

Click here to give a damn

I agree with @DeadEyePsycho

Just thought I'd ask what you need the 30 Linux VMs for, you'll get almost all the benefits with containers (LXC, Docker etc) and you'll get a much higher density.

But it all depends on what you need, just thought I'd throw it out.

@DeadEyePsycho Where would you suggest I take this topic to? The best forum I have found is here.

@★ Coups ★ I am interested, can you give me a link? The best servers I have seen so far is dells rack servers

@Hamosch I need them for people to connect with rdp or something else, and work on there. It requires alot of storage and power, we do not have enough money to buy each guy a powerful computer, I have researched that.

Thanks for the replies so far.

40 minutes ago, framer said:

@Hamosch I need them for people to connect with rdp or something else, and work on there. It requires alot of storage and power, we do not have enough money to buy each guy a powerful computer, I have researched that.

Containers might be good for rdp,

Just did some testing on my Proxmox lab and got three debian lxc containers running XFCE4 with xrdp up and running. They use about 220MB RAM each for a total of 660MB total used from the host. The CPU overheads are also lower with containers.

and could easily connect to all of them simultaneously via MS RDP with no issues at all.

just food for thought

1 minute ago, Hamosch said:

Containers might be good for rdp,

Just did some testing on my Proxmox lab and got three debian lxc containers running XFCE4 with xrdp up and running. They use about 220MB RAM each for a total of 660MB total used from the host. The CPU overheads are also lower with containers.

and could easily connect to all of them simultaneously via MS RDP with no issues at all.

just food for thought

I am interested in these containers, thanks for your answer, I will go researching now.

3 hours ago, framer said:

Hello everyone, I run a business of around 35 people and more soon, I need a server that can handle many virtual computers at the same time, and it should have more than 24 TB of space in it.

Please recommend me a build or components that can handle 30+ virtual computers running linux at the same time, I also need a 10 gigabit ethernet port in this server.

If you have any questions you would like answered about them, feel free to ask.

My budget is around 3000 dollars, however I can extend that if this is not possible with this amount of money.

Thanks for reading!

PS: The components needs to be in Europe, I dont want tax on this.

If you're planning on virtualizing 30 computers, $3000 isn't even gonna be close. You're looking at ranges of $10,000-$30,000. You're going to want at least one CPU core per VM to have good performance (Sure you can get away with less, and let the Host Hypervisor fight over the CPU resources and balance them as best it can, but that's far from ideal.

You're also going to want a ton of RAM, at least 2GB per VM, depending on what OS is used in the VM. If these are going to be "workstations" (Eg: Someone is going to RDP connect to the VM and run that as their office computer), then you'll likely want to give them at least 2 CPU cores (ideally, 4 if you have Hyperthreading) and at least 4GB of RAM (8GB would be better, especially if they are more of power users who, for example, open lots of tabs, etc).

So at bare minimum, you're looking at 2x 16 Core CPU's w/ 64GB of RAM. Ideally, it would be double both of those numbers. A Server with that kind of specs is easily going to be over $10,000. Consider that a single CPU of the type you will need is going to be not far off from your original budget of $3000.

And that's not even counting hard drives. If you need 24TB of usable space. Let's use WD Red Pro 4TB HDD's as an example:

4TB x 8 = 32TB of Raw Storage

Use RAID6 or RAIDZ2

You have dual parity drives, which mean you lose the capacity of 2x drives

Gives you 24TB of usable HDD space (Formatted space will be less of course, since the difference between TB and TiB and the way HDD manufacturers list the capacities - 21.8TiB of usable space)

WD Red Pro's are $210 a piece on Newegg.com - that's $1680 for HDD's alone.

And I wouldn't even use those HDD's in an actual business server environment. You should ideally go with SAS drives in a server environment like that - better suited for the workload.

In that case, you'd want something like the WD RE SAS Enterprise Drive ($240 per drive), or the Seagate Constellation SAS Enterprise Drive ($300 per drive). That brings your HDD cost up to $1920 or $2400 respectively.

Either way you cut it, $3000 isn't going to come close.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

22 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

If you're planning on virtualizing 30 computers, $3000 isn't even gonna be close. You're looking at ranges of $10,000-$30,000. You're going to want at least one CPU core per VM to have good performance (Sure you can get away with less, and let the Host Hypervisor fight over the CPU resources and balance them as best it can, but that's far from ideal.

You're also going to want a ton of RAM, at least 2GB per VM, depending on what OS is used in the VM. If these are going to be "workstations" (Eg: Someone is going to RDP connect to the VM and run that as their office computer), then you'll likely want to give them at least 2 CPU cores (ideally, 4 if you have Hyperthreading) and at least 4GB of RAM (8GB would be better, especially if they are more of power users who, for example, open lots of tabs, etc).

So at bare minimum, you're looking at 2x 16 Core CPU's w/ 64GB of RAM. Ideally, it would be double both of those numbers. A Server with that kind of specs is easily going to be over $10,000. Consider that a single CPU of the type you will need is going to be not far off from your original budget of $3000.

And that's not even counting hard drives. If you need 24TB of usable space. Let's use WD Red Pro 4TB HDD's as an example:

4TB x 8 = 32TB of Raw Storage

Use RAID6 or RAIDZ2

You have dual parity drives, which mean you lose the capacity of 2x drives

Gives you 24TB of usable HDD space (Formatted space will be less of course, since the difference between TB and TiB and the way HDD manufacturers list the capacities - 21.8TiB of usable space)

WD Red Pro's are $210 a piece on Newegg.com - that's $1680 for HDD's alone.

And I wouldn't even use those HDD's in an actual business server environment. You should ideally go with SAS drives in a server environment like that - better suited for the workload.

In that case, you'd want something like the WD RE SAS Enterprise Drive ($240 per drive), or the Seagate Constellation SAS Enterprise Drive ($300 per drive). That brings your HDD cost up to $1920 or $2400 respectively.

Either way you cut it, $3000 isn't going to come close.

Thank you for putting it into my scope, I already have some 4 TB Enterprise drives laying around so the drives are not with the price.

The users on the server are lightweigt arch linux users, they get 768 MB ram for each machine as thats all they need.

With that in mind, do you think I could get away with 7500 dollars?

Just now, framer said:

Thank you for putting it into my scope, I already have some 4 TB Enterprise drives laying around so the drives are not with the price.

The users on the server are lightweigt arch linux users, they get 768 MB ram for each machine as thats all they need.

With that in mind, do you think I could get away with 7500 dollars?

You might be able to - depends on whether you want to custom build or buy from an OEM like Dell or HP.

I would spec out a Dell server w/ at least 16 cores/32 threads, and 32GB of RAM.

Here's one I came up with on Dell's site:

2016-03-16_1724.png.ddfe66ad06134ed5b62e

2016-03-16_1724_001.png.f27943e478e640b1

You're looking at similar pricing for Tower vs Rackmount chassis.

These prices are Canadian, and before taxes.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

10 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

You might be able to - depends on whether you want to custom build or buy from an OEM like Dell or HP.

I would spec out a Dell server w/ at least 16 cores/32 threads, and 32GB of RAM.

Here's one I came up with on Dell's site:

You're looking at similar pricing for Tower vs Rackmount chassis.

These prices are Canadian, and before taxes.

I already have a rack cabinet, and I live in Denmark so my prices are cheaper. Looking at the rack servers, I can get the "PowerEdge R630 - Online Base Configuration" for 51,000 kr, thats 7500 dollars.

That rack includes 2 Xeon® E5-2630 v3 processors and 16 GB ram (gonna upgrade ram as soon as I can.)

Would you recommend this server to me?

That's going to be some tight provisioning for 35-40 or more machines virtual machines.

Also what are you going to virtualise on? Are you going to be using ESXi/vSphere/vCentre? Have you factored in the licencing for this?

Ideally you're going to want at least 1/thread + 1GB/ram per machine if these are going to be all in constant use - so you're looking at a minimum of 24 physical cores (2 x 12 core CPU's - i.e 2 x E5 2670's) with 64gb ram (4 x 8GB chips per CPU) which will give you headway of a few machines for new staff and test deployments.

Ideally you'd also want to run your storage in a SAN/NAS seperate from your virtualisation server where the server has direct access to the drives. You'd then attach it as an iSCSi target to your ESXi.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

I do not have any license and I have another guy that is taking care of the software, I only work with hardware.

EDIT: talked with my software guy, he said that we are going to use VMware vSphere NFI or VMware ESXi 6.0.

1 hour ago, framer said:

I already have a rack cabinet, and I live in Denmark so my prices are cheaper. Looking at the rack servers, I can get the "PowerEdge R630 - Online Base Configuration" for 51,000 kr, thats 7500 dollars.

That rack includes 2 Xeon® E5-2630 v3 processors and 16 GB ram (gonna upgrade ram as soon as I can.)

Would you recommend this server to me?

2x E5-2630 is gonna be REALLY TIGHT. Those are 6C/12T CPU's. That only gives you 12C/24T. I'd recommend 1C/2T per VM (or more), ideally. That's why I suggested the E5-2650, since it's 10C/20T, which gives you 20C/40T.

8 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

2x E5-2630 is gonna be REALLY TIGHT. Those are 6C/12T CPU's. That only gives you 12C/24T. I'd recommend 1C/2T per VM (or more), ideally. That's why I suggested the E5-2650, since it's 10C/20T, which gives you 20C/40T.

Alright, I think i got all my questions answered, thanks for your and everyone's help.

If I forgot something i will just post in this thread again.