Difference between i5-6600K Boxed and Intel Core i5-6600K Tray?

What is the difference between i5-6600K Boxed and Intel Core i5-6600K Tray?

Just make sure it's not one of these and you should be fine:

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Jos0109 said:

What is the difference between i5-6600K Boxed and Intel Core i5-6600K Tray?

assuming they are both legitimate, the tray has no heatsink in it, so if it is cheaper and you play to buy a third party, it is a good option

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

OEM/Tray: CPU Only

Boxed: CPU and cooler (you are going to buy one anyway)

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

the thing with tray is that you have only 1 year warranty(maximum) from your reseller and none from intel, with boxed you get a three year warranty from intel

Neither comes with a heatsink. The difference is you get a retail box and a three year warranty with the boxed 6600k. OEM's like Dell, HP, etc buy the tray parts to save $1.

29 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Neither comes with a heatsink. The difference is you get a retail box and a three year warranty with the boxed 6600k. OEM's like Dell, HP, etc buy the tray parts to save $1.

This. Overclockable Skylake processors don't come with a stock hsf. Also don't discount the $1 saving. 100,000 of these processors would mean a $100,000 saving for an OEM. 

8 minutes ago, kurahk7 said:

This. Overclockable Skylake processors don't come with a stock hsf. Also don't discount the $1 saving. 100,000 of these processors would mean a $100,000 saving for an OEM. 

Oh year, the cpu isn't all that likely to fail in the first year and extended warranties are immensely profitable for both OEMs and for resellers. It's one of the main reasons it makes sense to build your own, it's an essentially free three year warranty on your parts.