Windows 8.1 making wallpapers look terrible

Bobbincat

Hey,

So iv been on 8.1 since it released and i tried 10 and ...Nah.I was using the same background for a very long time then when i found this kawaii girl i changed it.

But soon after applying it i realized there was noise around the edges (look at the hair.... come on thats criminal) and it generally looked like trash compared to the original. I would point out which is the original and which one is not but whats the point its extremely clear.   

8ec762e63df14e8055db3f330ea1ee63.png.3db58eb1fb4045e9ce2539c9fda9b5fb443.png.f3f

So is Windows compressing the wallpaper when its applied?

I did some googling and there were multiple fixes that i tried that involved going to :

C:\Users\Felix\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\RoamedThemeFiles\DesktopBackground

and changing the name of the picture to TranscodedPicture1 (or something similar i have got the forum page up).But none of them worked for me.

QUESTION:

How can i get my wallpaper to not look trash?

Any work arounds?

Or programs i can download ?

Or general suggestions?  

Thanks,

Felix

I had the same issue with windows 10. Try this program

Some filetypes will work beautifully, others will compress. Try saving the original image in different formats using MS paint, then throwing it into the software I listed above

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

I had the same issue with windows 10. Try this program

Some timetypes will work beautifully, others will compress. Try saving the original image in different formats using MS paint, then throwing it into the software I listed above

thanks ill try now !

did you try saving the image in a different format? like PNG or jpeg or whatever

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

DISCOVERY!

.BMP (bitmap) looks better but still no where near as good as original.

ill continue to try.

8 minutes ago, Enderman said:

did you try saving the image in a different format? like PNG or jpeg or whatever

Yes the original is PNG and i just tried Jpeg and i almost cryed xD looked horrible.

1 hour ago, Bobbincat said:

Yes the original is PNG and i just tried Jpeg and i almost cryed xD looked horrible.

how did you change the format?

photoshop?

you need to save it on max quality

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 hours ago, Bobbincat said:

Run your wallpaper through this:

http://needsmorejpeg.com/

That will solve all your problems. :D

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

How do you set your background?

i used DMT (duel monitor tools) and just right click set BG